Where to buy refrigerator in Sosua or POP

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I'd like to buy a refrigerator this saturday in Sosua or Puerto Plata. I know Plaza Lama in Santiago would be cheaper, but I only have 1 day and don't mind paying a little more as long as the product is good and the seller is not a ripoff artist. Any recommendations? - D

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
The best place to buy a refrigerator in Puerto Plata or Sosua is at La Sirena in Santiago.

Plaza Llama less expensive? Whoo-boy! La Sirena is good, so is Beillon (we just bought a really slick new microwave there for only about US$145). Ochoa has good stuff, but not inexpensive. Sometimes La Opera has good deals on appliances. Usually La Opera is better for furniture, and La Sirena for appliances. Use Pricemart for things like TV's and stereos.

As to POP/Sosua? Everytime Alba and I looked things were not just a little more expensive, but a lot more expensive. Sometimes as much as double. There are appliance stores but I found them all to be pretty big ripoffs compared to Santiago. You might try the supermarket, on Calle Seperacion. Damn. The name just went right out of my head. Well Grahame will jump in and mention it. We bought a washer there once that was only slightly more than Santiago prices.

Tom aka XR There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
The problem with Plaza Lama is that the warranty they provide is for the most part worthless. I've experienced it twice and they've lost me as a customer for all electronic items.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Tom, I think the supermarket you mean is Silverio Messon.

There are several places that sell applicances in Puerto Plata. You could try Francis Muebles, near the aforementioned supermarket, or La Casa Dominicana on the Carretera towards Santiago or Corripio on Beller. I would stay away from Gonz?lez on Separaci?n - their prices tend to be very high.

Another place to try would be La Curacao on J.F. Kennedy and Jos? del Carmen Ariza. Their prices might be higher as well.

In some places, if you have US cash, you can negotiate a better price.

T

TiberiusMineola

Santiago - worth the trip ! ! !

As a long time resident of POP [8 years], I find that Santiago prices on nearly everything are 60% - 65% 70% of POP prices. From food to eyeglasses to car radios & accessories to major appliances. PriceSmart is a valuable resource. If it costs more than US $400., in my judgment a trip to Santiago is warranted. Suggestion: for smaller, less expensive items make up a "to buy" list; then visit Santiago once ever 3, 4, 5 weeks. Food for thought.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
I got mine in POP

check out this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26670&page=1 I started a few months ago when I needed a new fridge.

Like you can read there, we got ours at Distribuidora Gonzalez in Puerto Plata(DAEWOO, 2 doors, freezer on the top, economic in power consumption) for a little over 14000 Pesos (incl. tax). They delivered for free to our house in Cabarete, 6 months guarantee, very very friendly employees. The fridge is great, even when the power is out for more than 8 hrs, meat in the freezer is still frozen, everything is still nice cool.
Haven't had a problem with this fridge yet, but I heard that they are also great in customer service, in case something you bought there breaks.

quaqualita

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
It ended up that I had 1 day (Sat.) to buy a refrigerator and a TV. My new landlord said Gigi Gonzalez - Gonzalez Dist. - was his friend and would give me a discount. I bought a nice new (what they "apartment size" in the US) LG fridge and a 20" Daewoo TV. They listed together for 37,800 before tax and delivery, and I paid 36,000 all in. I left the store at noon, and by 3 the truck arrived in Sosua with the stuff. Of course the power didn't come back on until 8! I think I got a decent deal on the fridge - about $490 with delivery and tax and I see them advertised on line in the US for what would be more after taxes and delivery, and I paid too much for the TV - I guess about $300, instead of under $200 here in NY. But they're in and working, and it took about 2 hours out of my day. By the way, Gigi Gonzalez is a lovely person.

Next visit, I'll have more time and will go to Santiago. - D