Smoking up the golf course with Grahame & HB!

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
Just returned from another fun visit to POP, with the only possible exception being the 3 days of torrential rain. It happens.

Before the rain came I got in a great round of golf at Playa Dorada with Grahame (BushBaby) and then a couple days later another round in Santiago with Grahame and Hillbilly. (Side trip in Santiago to buy new tires for Grahame's vehicle.)

HB loaned me a set of clubs and then loaded me up with cigars - perhaps this helped my game as I was playing a bit better that day. Some smokes from an old collection that were so smooth I was smoking them down to the 1/2" point. Between Grahame's pipe and my cigars there's smoke billowing out from our golf cart most of the time. Oh yea, more cigars from HB after the round for the ride back to POP.

The Santiago course is very interesting (don't remember the name) - nice views of Santiago and the Cibao from some elevated hillside tee boxes, and some quite unique hole layouts. Course knowledge goes a long way here as your line is infrequently obvious.

Grahame has no fear when it comes to confronting Dominicans driving badly. Eat or be eaten.

Thanks to both of you for the companionship a great time on the courses!

- Festero del Norte

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
One of These Days ...

Festero said:
Just returned from another fun visit to POP, with the only possible exception being the 3 days of torrential rain. It happens.

Before the rain came I got in a great round of golf at Playa Dorada with Grahame (BushBaby) and then a couple days later another round in Santiago with Grahame and Hillbilly. (Side trip in Santiago to buy new tires for Grahame's vehicle.)

HB loaned me a set of clubs and then loaded me up with cigars - perhaps this helped my game as I was playing a bit better that day. Some smokes from an old collection that were so smooth I was smoking them down to the 1/2" point. Between Grahame's pipe and my cigars there's smoke billowing out from our golf cart most of the time. Oh yea, more cigars from HB after the round for the ride back to POP.

The Santiago course is very interesting (don't remember the name) - nice views of Santiago and the Cibao from some elevated hillside tee boxes, and some quite unique hole layouts. Course knowledge goes a long way here as your line is infrequently obvious.

Grahame has no fear when it comes to confronting Dominicans driving badly. Eat or be eaten.

Thanks to both of you for the companionship a great time on the courses!

- Festero del Norte
I haven't golfed in 15 years. I figured that by now I have un-learned all the bad habits I picked up playing without instruction, but I don't want to pick it up again until I have someone to teach me correctly. Who can help? LOL. Guess I will just have to get out there and embarrass myself with Grahame or Luis someday regardless. But I do need some clubs. Never brought mine here from the U.S.A.

Tom aka XR Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
las aromas golf club

the name of the course is Las Aromas. I played there several times back in the early 80's when it was still quite new. Great views, short but tricky layouts.
-Tordok

- Festero del Norte[/QUOTE]

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Don't put it about too much Festero, but we enjoyed your company too!!! Glad I won that game on my own course - Playa Dorada - because your play at Santiago beat the C^*$ out of Luis & I. NEXT time we go it will be different because we know some of the dangers now!!

Come back soon friend - Grahame.
XR - Can't you practice at that 9 holer in between Sosua & Cabarete? They must have a practice range!! If not, they hire clubs at Playa Dorada & Johnny - the pro - gives very good lessons! GWB.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Golf with Festero can be humbling

But more important he is a gentleman pn the course.

As it turned out I was coming down with a miserable cold, which I hope I did not spread to my playing partners. First one in years, but a sniffling, coughing, doozy.

The Santiago course, Las Aromas, was designed and partially built by Pete Dye and Sons. He laid out the the first nine holes (which were built last.), but only supervised and built the second nine. This was because the La Romana Corporation was involved in developing Las Aromas as a businessman's hotel. We were lucky to get him. The club had to build the other nine holes, according to his plan but without his hands on supervision. I think we did pretty good.

Hey, Xanadu?? They have pretty good teachers over at Playa Dorada. Worth a visit. I can lend you some clubs when you come here. Let me know and we can go hit a few.

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hillbilly said:
.......... As it turned out I was coming down with a miserable cold, which I hope I did not spread to my playing partners. First one in years, but a sniffling, coughing, doozy.

HB

Excuses, excuses, excuses!!! I thought you were like that (sniffling, coughing, doozy) ALL the time HB?? That's what comes of rolling & smoking your own, friend!!

Thanks for the good day, the introduction to MAU (the Maxxis tyres are GREAT) & of course your hospitality. Hope to repeat it quite soon - even sooner if Playa Dorada don't come good within the next two weeks!!! - GWB.