Outback Safari

doodlebug

Feb 27, 2004
We are thinking of booking a day on the Outback Safari Company tour. Is this a good reputable tour company? Would we be spending our money well, or would be advised to look for something else to see the reaal DR?

Hillbilly....I'm sure you've got some advice for us. Only 9 more sleeps... Are we still invited for golf in Santiago?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi doodlebug,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

The Outback Jungle Safari is a very reputable company which I highly recommend. See www.outbacksafari.com.do/

As long as you don't try to tempt him on April 16 - 18 (he, Mrs. HB, Christa, Richard, my wife & I have plans in Punta Rucia) I would think he will try to accommodate you as I know he loves golf.

Enjoy you trip - where are you staying? We're at Breezes April 9 - 23.

Eight more sleeps for me.

Gregg

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
Those trips sound great - I looked at the website. I did a similar trip through Mel Tours. Mel has offices in Puerto Plata and Sosua (that I am aware of, anyway). The tours were fantastic and very cheap. The Jeep Safari Tour that I did was $25 US. I would recommed checking out Mel's place if you'll be in the area. I had a great experience and heard lots of wonderful things about his other tours as well. The office where you can find Mel himself (he is also willing to make deals if you buy more than one tour, and customize tours for you) is in Sosua directly across from Sosua by the Sea, beside Taino Bar (near Casa Marina Beach Hotel). I can't give you better directions, though, sorry. I'm sure the tour you had in mind will be wonderful as well, but Mel's tours are definitely cheap cheap cheap. Have a great trip!!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Great trip but not the "real DR"

FireGuy said:
Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

The Outback Jungle Safari is a very reputable company which I highly recommend. See www.outbacksafari.com.do/

As long as you don't try to tempt him on April 16 - 18 (he, Mrs. HB, Christa, Richard, my wife & I have plans in Punta Rucia) I would think he will try to accommodate you as I know he loves golf.

Enjoy you trip - where are you staying? We're at Breezes April 9 - 23.

Eight more sleeps for me.

Gregg

I did an "Outback Safari" tour on my first trip to the DR. Since it was my first time there I thought it was fantastic - it takes you out on the Sosua/POP highway and then offroad to a "real Domincan house" (let me tell you... this house has numbered signs like "kitchen", etc. and I'm sure the people may not even actually live there but get premium $$$ for sitting there all day to say it's their house (but who knows). You visit a local country school, a "zoo" which has lizards and stuff where you also stop for a lunch which includes sandwiches and salad, you go on a river boat ride, stop to buy incredibly cheap rum, vanilla, and cigars and finally end up at Cabarete Beach (a secluded area) for some boogie boarding, where I almost drown. This being said, I have my bronze cross in Canada (which is almost lifeguard certification). The undertow at Cabarete Beach is extremely strong and I would not recommend anyone go out past their waist. Now that I have been to the DR several times, I find that tour very "touristy" but it is still good for first timers. I would prefer to take a gaugua into POP to just walk around and see the sights such as the old fort at the end of the Malecon (you can ask around at your resort for a worker who would be willing to go with you for the day - for a price - and I'm sure it will be a far more cultural experience).

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
Fiesta Mama said:
I find that tour very "touristy" but it is still good for first timers. I would prefer to take a gaugua into POP to just walk around and see the sights such as the old fort at the end of the Malecon (you can ask around at your resort for a worker who would be willing to go with you for the day - for a price - and I'm sure it will be a far more cultural experience).

I agree with you, Fiesta Mama, but boy are they FUN!! :) (I owe you a phone call by the way, I'm just really busy right now.) Go for it, doodlebug. The tour that I did involved some waterfall climbing and a little cliff jumping. It was a little strenuous, but fabulous.