Those #$@%^&*&* potholes everywhere.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Just replaced another tire within a month. Due to heavy rains in santiago area, our grounds are sinking and thus causing huge potholes everwhere. There are holes big enough to break your suspension and not to mention, the tire. What happens is that you hit the hole at a reasonable speed (ex: 30 miles/hr), medium to small sized car ex; toyota corolla;the radial wire mesh gets damaged inside the tire and a bubble pops out from the side wall of the tire. This bubble could appear on the inside wall of the tire as well. The redial wire mesh (net) is broken and the rubber of the tire is left unsupported. This means the tire can blow up in that weak point anytime. You could be driving in high speed and the tire might burst on a turn, the car can spin out of control. God help you if you are coming on the curvy puerto plata- santiago road and this nightmare occurs. The hit from the hole can misalign your wheel alignment and can break your shock and also twist your rim. This will cost you dearly when it comes to buying new parts in DR.
Folks, I have stopped buying new tires as I have learned that I need to replace damaged tires a few times a year. Its not worth having new tires if you have a small vehicle with small tires. They will get damaged if you are driving over holes in the street. Its best to buy used tires in good condition and take your chances.
Its almost worth having a SUV with huge tires to protect you from those damn holes. The huge tires are alot stronger and the suspension on the vehicle is designed for off road conditions. Just make sure its a diesal or you will cry everytime you fill up at a gas station.
Have a wonderful day.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Readytogo said:
Try to find some 6 ply light truck tires in your size
Hey readytogo, you mentioned before that what reason I had to believe you are a man? Now you have answered your own question.
Ok, jokes aside, would this type of tire make my car ride like a truck? I like the smoothness and floating sensation that I get from driving a car as opposed to a diesal truck.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You Want Used Tires,I Got Used Tires!!!!!

At the risk of ruining a good thing for me,I will tell you a "Secret",known only to Dominican Taxi drivers,and a "Fat Americano"!If you can find the Hyundai Dealership,on "JFK","Casi Esquina La Lincoln",there is a Hancock Tire Dealer behind the "Show Room".There you will see a tire changer/wheel alignment area.Go talk to the "Giant Moreno" who you will see there.He wears a blue technician's coat.Ask him to find you whatever size tires you need.He will call you when he has 2 or 4 good tires for you.He charges abot 3 to 400 pesos per tire.He will balance them too,don't forget to ask! The tires I buy usually last 6 months to a year and a half.Depends on how good the tire is,and "LUCK" with the Dominican roads and streets! Good Luck,and don't tell anyone else! Cris Colon

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Escott said:
AZB, you should move to Sosua where you can find better roads, prettier women and people that do NOT support Hippo!

Love ya,
Escott
There is only one road coming in to sosua and same road taking you out running as soon as you see the UBH's.
AZB (thanks god its friday).

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
same on the road Sosua - Cabarete

I have to drive the Cabarete - Sosua road twice every day, so I know most of the holes. But they are getting more and more every day, some of them so wide that you can't drive around them anymore.
Just brought my car to the mechanic to adjust alignment and change a tire with 'bubbles'. :(

quaqualita

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Readytogo said:
You have a strange sense of rationalization, I have 6 ply tires on my SUV!!! Are 6 ply tires sold to men only??

Yes, they will give a somewhat firmer ride, but they are well suited for your problem (At least the pothole one)
It will give you a ride that isn't as comfortable as Car tires depending on the tread is how bad it will be. I put Car tires on my SUV for a better ride.

Scott

judyisnice

Oct 11, 2002
Potholes and Tires

This sounds like the roads in Winnipeg...so your not alone in this vast world of potholes.

Last year I rented a 4x4 and did very well...rocks,river beds and the roads.

Good Luck Judy

potholes

Just replaced another tire within a month. Due to heavy rains in santiago area, our grounds are sinking and thus causing huge potholes everwhere. There are holes big enough to break your suspension and not to mention, the tire. What happens is that you hit the hole at a reasonable speed (ex: 30 miles/hr), medium to small sized car ex; toyota corolla;the radial wire mesh gets damaged inside the tire and a bubble pops out from the side wall of the tire. This bubble could appear on the inside wall of the tire as well. The redial wire mesh (net) is broken and the rubber of the tire is left unsupported. This means the tire can blow up in that weak point anytime. You could be driving in high speed and the tire might burst on a turn, the car can spin out of control.

You should see the potholes here in Canada when the frost leaves the ground and the spring raains come, the don't consume only tires but complete Toyota Corolla's. :laugh:

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
AZB,

given the quality' of dominican roads, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between car and LT tyres.

But LT tyres are definitely stronger. Now the comfort depends, as Escott I think stated, on the type of thread. In DR they don't like the 'tacos' type, they ask for 'Tipo racing'. the tacos is the mixed road/mud thread, the 'tipo racing' is the road only pattern.

I imported 15" SUV tyres tacos type. I had 4 mounted on my Explorer. "van a sonar" my gomero told me. Crap. MUCH better for the roads, believe me, and to go offroad, it's like if you had changed your vehicle.

If you have a Corolla, you should have 14" tyres on it, most probably 185/60R14 or 185/65R14. if you want LT tyres, 185R14 C is the European size for it, C means LT. Many Dominicans will tell you not to use radial tyres, because of the holes and policias accostados. So if you want conventional tyres I think the size will be 600/14. But it will be difficult to find used tyres of this type(conventional). Maybe with japanese tyres dealers.

About buying bargain price tyres, you should consider this cautiously,as your security is at stake, as you said in your post. The gomeros have many tricks to make money. As I have been importing and selling tyres wholesale and retail for 6 or 7 years in SD now, I can tell you that once you know of one reliable place, maybe you should not change provided they give you an acceptable price.

Can you get a good "almost new" tyre for 300-400? The wholesale price for a USED small tyre is above 600 (US or Europe) and well above 700(Japan), and above 700 for any type of LT tyre. Most Dominican people, if they come to change a tyre, will NOT leave us the old one if they think it can be reused. We sell "gomas avariadas" to gomeros, at a bargain price (200-500 depending of the tyre), most of these tyres we can sell are of the "looks like new" type.
these gomeros sell them to customers, mainly women, that do not know about tyres.

So I am not saying that the advice given by Criss Colon is not good, because nothing is impossible, but if somebody wants to sell you an almost new tyre at half the wholesale price of a used one, well.. Would you buy US$ at 25?..

But anyway, Cris, I can buy your tyres at 500 any time, if they are good. Say 500 a week, to give you a 50000Rd$ profit, if you are interested.

Barnab?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Barnabe said:
Most Dominican people, if they come to change a tyre, will NOT leave us the old one if they think it can be reused.

Great post! Do you have a tire place?

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Robert said:
Great post! Do you have a tire place?

Yes, I have a taller-gomera in SD, as I said I have been selling wholesale and retail for 6 or 7 years, so I am not a technician but I know more or less the value of a tyre.

Well, to be honest I should say I STILL have a taller because the ways things go I do not know how long it will last..

Barnab?

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Bottomless pits

You can tell Hippo is coming to POP tomorrow, the road crews were out till dark fixing the potholes from Brugal to the stadium today. After he blows thru it'll be back to normal.
Had a job on top of Isabel de Torres that required driving up to the top. With the 4wd almost couldn't make it. The recent rains have all but finished it off, no asphalt now, only big rocks and dirt for over a hundred yards near the top. Plus a landslide has left a 7 foot passable lane.
I bet the government will get right on it.
It was a hell of a road when it was built, two lanes with a nice crown in the middle and stone drainage culverts on both sides. A real testament to the presidency of Balaguer as is the park.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Barnabe said:
Yes, I have a taller-gomera in SD, as I said I have been selling wholesale and retail for 6 or 7 years, so I am not a technician but I know more or less the value of a tyre.

Well, to be honest I should say I STILL have a taller because the ways things go I do not know how long it will last..

Barnab?

Whats the location? I'm all for giving DR1 posters business.

I might even come by as we have a RAV4 here that needs some new tires.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Robert said:
Whats the location? I'm all for giving DR1 posters business.

I might even come by as we have a RAV4 here that needs some new tires.

Correa y Cidron 22, (La Paz) driving the Churchill down to the Malecon, last street before Independencia, turn on your right, 200m left handside, Importadora Nicogris (By the way I am Nicolas).

I do not carry these tyres on stock. If you need them just tell me and I'll quote you. You will just have to tell me if you want them 215/70R16 or 235/60R16. As you probably know 235 are wider and give the SUV a more 'sporty' look.

We also do alineacion, cambio de aceite y trabajo de mecanica.

This is intended as info. So please edit or cancel if it's too much like free advertising!

Barnab?