Internet to Fixed Line Phone Service

Sandeep

Jan 8, 2003
www.coralbayrealestate.com
Hi all,
I had been using successfully until recently the ?Callserve? internet telephone software which works to any land line worldwide. The computer is attached to a Dlink wireless router and then on to the Codetel DSL modem. About 2 months ago it stopped working.
People can hear me well, but I can?t make out what they are saying. Is anyone else using a similar setup? I am sure Codetel have done something to block the service and gain revenues on their land line business. I have also discovered that I can not ping to any host outside of my home network.
Any tips on how to get this working again or an alternative solution would be much appreciated.
Sandeep

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
It might be the way you're using it.

I'm not familiar with Callserve - I use Dialpad.

Whatever, it has to compete with any other audio applications (popup video-audio application, music player, tv tuner, internet telephone answering machine, etc.) on your computer that may have arrived before and tampered with your "volume control" settings for microphone, wav, etc.

Rather than try to figure out which settings need to be reconfigured, I find it easier to call myself (for about 3 cents) before calling somewhere else. That way, the correct settings get reestablished.

Hope it works for you.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Sandeep said:
Hi all,
I had been using successfully until recently the ?Callserve? internet telephone software which works to any land line worldwide. The computer is attached to a Dlink wireless router and then on to the Codetel DSL modem. About 2 months ago it stopped working.
People can hear me well, but I can?t make out what they are saying. Is anyone else using a similar setup? I am sure Codetel have done something to block the service and gain revenues on their land line business. I have also discovered that I can not ping to any host outside of my home network.
Any tips on how to get this working again or an alternative solution would be much appreciated.
Sandeep

This points towards firewall, have you installed or change the settings on your home network? go to the Connections settings and select your default connection and select the security tab and check to see if you had enabled the protect my computer etc...

Also installing programs that share your comm ports will bring about changes on the default settings you had before, as far as verizon "codetel" blocking for landline profit that is totally out of the window, your problem lives in your pc, since you can't ping any hosts other than the ones in your home LAN then it suggests what I told you before, check your settings!!!

Sandeep

Jan 8, 2003
www.coralbayrealestate.com
Thanks Andy A & Pichardo,

It's a puzzle as it just stopped working from one day to the next. There is a firewall on the router (which was on before) and I have disabled my WinXP firewall as I have just discovered Overnet.

I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.

Sandeep