• Thread starter TiberiusMineola
  • Start date

Rentas Internas? Working hours??

T

TiberiusMineola

Has anyone visited your local Rentas Internas office lately. I have, in POP. The staff [@ 50 - 70, by my estimate] comes to work @ 8:00 AM, more or less, works until 12:00 or 1:00 [ approx 1/2 go to lunch @ 12:00, the other 1/2 @ 1:00], then continue work until 3:00. Then, . . go home for the day. The doors to the building are locked! No Sat. hours. A 6 hour work day?? In a 3rd World Country?? The offices are air conditioned. Does anyone in North America or Western Europe work a 6 hour day? Is this work [collecting tax money] so difficult or hazardous that employees can only work 6 hours per day? At most! And, . . this is the agency that collects the money from Dominicans & Gringos that the Gov't survives on. The next time the WorldBank, the ExIm Bank, the Paris Club, or the OAS is asked to bail out the DR, yet again, shouldn't someone with authority insist that these {and all} DR government employees work an 8 hour day. Most DRs work 5 1/2 days per week, 44 hours - & are glad to have a job. I suspect that all of the Rentas Internas employees are politically very well connected. Any corrections? Any disagreements? Thank you.

Giggles

Apr 13, 2004
Pretty much the government hours in most of the countries I've lived in!! First, second or third world.. makes no difference...

JennyT

Apr 14, 2004
I think you sould get used to how life works here...and if you dont like it then i suggest this is not the country for you to live in.... If you think this is sooo bad then why do you live here? Any disagreements? Thank you.

Steady

Apr 13, 2004
I agree, maybe they are trying to cut down on those electricity bills by using less aircon!?

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Why not?

You know, if people in the DR (or anywhere for that matter) can find a job like that, why not. In Canada a lot of government employees are thought to have kushy jobs with short hours, great holidays, union protection, etc. If you were the one working there, would you still complain? Also, contrary to your suggestion, it is no business of any other country the hours that DR goverment workers keep! I will look for one of these jobs when I move there! I do understand what you are saying but it's not worth your second thought... the DR is a "tranquilo" country... and these people are lucky to have such a great job. The only sad part is that these types of jobs are few and far between for the "typical" Dominican (or ex-pat).