Live in Sosua rent free in big villa.

Newton

Apr 3, 2004
I own a large villa in the Sosua area that is for sale. However, I am presently out of the country and do not intend to return to the DR except to close the sale. The people who were suppose to watch my villa did a terrible job, and I need to find someone to take care of it while I am out of the country.

I am willing to let somone (or a family without children) live in the house rent-free provided they take basic care of it while I am away. By basic care, I expect the house to always be in "show" condition when the real estate people bring clients by to to see it, the guarden should be maintained and the pool clean. I have a guardener to do most of this, so basically the person will just have to ensure the gardener is doing his job. As anyone who lives here knows, many Dominicans require motivation to work and my absence has resulted in a lack of motivation.

The ideal candidate will have experience house-sitting before. I am a very busy person and do not want to have to listen about any problems on a daily bases. I would also expect some sort of a refundable security deposit, or very good references. I would expect contact with myself to be done by email most of the time as I am traveling a lot and unable to take calls most of the time.

Please PM if interested and let me know a bit about yourself.

clevine

Mar 29, 2004
How long a period of time are you talking? Why no children? Even if they are well-mannered? We have a large home (2400 sf) in Connecticut that is well-maintained and we work very hard at upkeep, including making our children pitch in and help. I could send photos of our home so you can see, if you'd like. We're looking for a place to stay this summer.

Newton

Apr 3, 2004
clevine said:
How long a period of time are you talking? Why no children? Even if they are well-mannered? We have a large home (2400 sf) in Connecticut that is well-maintained and we work very hard at upkeep, including making our children pitch in and help. I could send photos of our home so you can see, if you'd like. We're looking for a place to stay this summer.

Sorry, everyone things their own children are great.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Newton said:
Sorry, everyone things their own children are great.

I would email Escott who posts on this board to see if he knows anyone.
He lives in Sosua, has a few properties and knows lots of people.

I would trust his judgement if it was me looking for a house sitter.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Location?

It would be good to know where in Sosua the house is located, so as to know if the candidate needs a car to get to and fro.
I agree that Scott knows who most of the good people are here in town.
BTW: I think it's a very generous offer and I wish you all ther luck finding the right people.
Marco.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
yes, where exactly is the house? I would know some people I work with in Sosua who might be interested in. Do they have to pay for power, other costs? If yes, how much is the average power bill for that house? Please post more details or PM me.

quaqualita

Newton

Apr 3, 2004
Rocky said:
It would be good to know where in Sosua the house is located, so as to know if the candidate needs a car to get to and fro.
I agree that Scott knows who most of the good people are here in town.
BTW: I think it's a very generous offer and I wish you all ther luck finding the right people.
Marco.

I do not want to post the location on the message board, but yes, you would need a car.

Salim

Apr 4, 2004
Allow myself to introduce myself

My name is Salim. I am 43, native Californian, and a self-employed computer consultant. I've been toying with the idea of spending some time in the DR for years. I'm very interested itn the house sitting opportunity. I speak enough Spanish to be understood by the very young and the intoxicated. Please let me know if you'd take me under consideration.

Sincerely,

Salim Bilal
tryme4thirtydays@yahoo.com

paul&beata

Apr 7, 2004
Sosua rent free in big villa

Hi

Myself and my girlfrend moving over from UK probably in June. We are waiting for sell house before we moving over.I am 38 years old, she is 27. I am menager of a public house, she is asystent menager in a restaurant. We are very interesting in your villa and more than willing to put a deposit down.

palmas

Jan 7, 2002
Not a good idea !

I am not the resident board expert by any means but I do know what we experienced when we purchased our home in Sosua last year.

We went to Sosua with a particular house in mind after seeing pictures of it on the internet. After viewing the home, my wife was devastated. It was amazing to see how a house could deteriorate in just one year. The owner lived out of the country and had a friend live there for free until it was sold. The pit bull in the back yard took care of the landscaping. The kitchen cupboards were chewed by the other two dogs who had the run of the house. Ripped screens, broken windows, ruined furniture, walls and doors could be found in every room of the house. Broken roof tiles also caused major water damage and stains on the ceiling.

We encountered this same scenario after seeing several other homes as well. One tenant asked me what I thought of the house after a viewing. Since I knew about his "live for free" arrangement, I told him that I absolutely loved it and that I would be making an offer. I lied because this house was also in very bad condition. He called the real estate office every day for a week!

Most people who you find are not going to be motivated to help you sell your house because when you do, they will be out on the street. You would be better off paying a reliable property management company to oversee the property until the house is sold.

You might want to give Dean Brown a call at Century 21 in Sosua. He may know of someone to oversee the property.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Alex

mullinsca

Sep 10, 2003
Trying to Reach You

Hello,

We are trying to reach you via PM to discuss this villa that you have available. We think we can meet all of your requirements. Please check your private messages if you are still intereted.

Cheryl Mullins

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
villa rent free

Well, I do not own a villa , but I rent many villas in Sosua and a lot of the owners are the members of the board I work with.

I am sorry to say, but I have heard how much work a villa can be and also I hoe expensive the electricity is for someone you don't know to stay there. I would think you will have to look a bit harder and have a better screening, than people replying to the post.

Being an owner of a condo in Florida, I only let my dearest friends stay there and I would never rent it like this, being out of the country and not returning.

I would consult with Escot and Marco also, as they do live in SOsua and also know a lot of people and I would get them to screen the people for me and of course appreciate their efforts later.
Best of luck to you

Newton

Apr 3, 2004
I am back.

Sorry I did not reply to everyone who wrote me. I was out of the country and very busy with work. I am now back in the DR for a short period of time, and yes, I am still looking for someone to house sit.

doudou

Jun 30, 2004
Villa In Sosua

Hi Newton,

My husband, his business partner and I are in the very final stages of closing on a business in the Sosua area - it has taken a fair bit of research and due diligence to find what we have been looking for, but all is now finally in place and paperwork is now with lawyers.

My husband should be in DR in the next one/two/three weeks to sign off papers and so forth and would be very interested in taking a look at this oportunity, if it is still available.

Only my husband and I shall actually be living in DR, no children or third parties and our business should keep us very busy, but not too busy so as not to be able apreciate and welcome a lovely comfortable place to sleep, relax and keep in good condition.

To be honest we are already searching for our own Villa between Sosua and Cabarete, in the hills of El Choco and in the area besides El Choco, Los Marienes I think it may be called, and my husband has several friends in DR who are property developers capable of building a villa for us on land in the region - so time-frame wise we are very flexible depending on which way we decide to go, buy or build, a big decision in itself.

As we are taking over a business in DR then this could be a wonderful solution for us and you albeit for 1 month, 3 months or 6 months.

Best email for contact is jakefreeman3@yahoo.com if you wish to pursue this further.

All the best,

Doudou