live-in childcare/schools

sisjay

Feb 27, 2004
Hello all. I am moving to the Domincan Republic in August. I will be a student at UNIBE in addition to a mom of 3 children. One of my children (14 y/o) is deaf, the other two children are ages 6 and 7. We will be staying in Bella Vista. The two younger children will attend George Washington School and the oldest will need to go to a special school... I was told that there was a school for the deaf in Bella Vista called Rosa De Lima.

I am hoping to get some advice on hiring a nanny. Mostly this person would be needed to assist the children with getting ready for school, make lunches, walk the children to school (5 minutes away) and pick them up... The children are pretty much independent and usually not a problem.

My questions are... What are the best methods to find this person (nanny). How much money are they usually paid? How often are they paid? Any other information/tips, etc... are very much welcome...

Also, does anyone know the telephone number to Rosa De Lima school? Has anyone heard anything about the school?

Thanks,
JayVon

sisjay

Feb 27, 2004
Anyone???

Any input would be great. I noticed that mine is the only one without ANY response!

Help!!!!

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Try placing an ad..

Well jayvon... I will just tell you this because of my own experiences in searching for quality child care for my own children, you are not going to find any classified ads in the paper due to the fact that you can't make background checks, and there is no certification for child care providers and such, most folks get a real close family member especially for children but there are alot of seniors retire or out of work, that may be of better service to you, your best bet is just to place and ad for a nanny in the diario libre newspaper,this is a very popular paper which is free, and many people read it on a daily basis, well I hope that this info can assist you in anyway.

sisjay

Feb 27, 2004
Thanks for the info

daddy1 said:
Well jayvon... I will just tell you this because of my own experiences in searching for quality child care for my own children, you are not going to find any classified ads in the paper due to the fact that you can't make background checks, and there is no certification for child care providers and such, most folks get a real close family member especially for children but there are alot of seniors retire or out of work, that may be of better service to you, your best bet is just to place and ad for a nanny in the diario libre newspaper,this is a very popular paper which is free, and many people read it on a daily basis, well I hope that this info can assist you in anyway.

Thank you for the suggestion. Sounds scarry - no background checks, no certification... The idea of a senior sounds wonderful though. ;)

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
sisjay said:
Thank you for the suggestion. Sounds scarry - no background checks, no certification... The idea of a senior sounds wonderful though. ;)

We hired a nanny upon the recommendation of a friend. Our friend had known the family for years. I would be very careful about getting references from people that you trust. FWIW, we really disliked having a full-time live in nanny. We have always taken care of our children by ourselves, and she just didn't fit in. We did, however, like having someone do the housework and the laundry.

mainer

Our nanny agreed to 3500 pesos plus all of her "personal" items and meals. The peso was about 24:1 when we hired her, so we paid her more in tips as the peso spiraled down. I think that this was a bit more than the going rate, but it was what our friend paid the nanny's cousin, so we agreed to the same. She really needed the money.

sisjay

Feb 27, 2004
Thank you

mainer said:
We hired a nanny upon the recommendation of a friend. Our friend had known the family for years. I would be very careful about getting references from people that you trust. FWIW, we really disliked having a full-time live in nanny. We have always taken care of our children by ourselves, and she just didn't fit in. We did, however, like having someone do the housework and the laundry.

mainer

Our nanny agreed to 3500 pesos plus all of her "personal" items and meals. The peso was about 24:1 when we hired her, so we paid her more in tips as the peso spiraled down. I think that this was a bit more than the going rate, but it was what our friend paid the nanny's cousin, so we agreed to the same. She really needed the money.

Thanks! I really appreciate the info. I was thinking in line with what you wrote... I think we will feel slightly uncomfortable having someone there all the time, but... I will be in school for numerous hours so it is probably best !

JayVon

toosie

Apr 5, 2004
I am currently a Canadian nanny looking to relocate to the dominican republic would love to speak with you about your situation. Looking to relocate at the beginning of September.