Canadian Exchange Rate

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Fellow Canadian Advice

Nelly said:
Does anyone know the going rate for Canadian dollars today in Sosua?

I go to the DR a lot (A LOT) and never take CDN$ - the cost of buying US money here in Toronto then buying pesos with US$ has always been better than taking CDN$ with me, to say nothing of the less than staggering desire at some cambios for other than US$ and Euros . And at times the Euro rate is pretty piss poor.

You "may" do better with an ATM card but unless you are a premier customer the PLUS ATM fee of $5 a transaction is likely to eat up the CDN/US$ difference. Or prepay your Visa card and do cash advances at banks , then again the fees are there and the hassle of queuing up is not worth the potential savings.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Based on the link provided by Malibook:

Cdn - US - DOP:

$500.00 CDN = $380.604 US

$380.604 US = $16,624.40 DOP

Converted directly:

$500.00 CDN = $16,624.40 DOP

Are the savings made at the casa de cambios? They seem to like Canadian Dollars in Sosua but I've had trouble in Puerto Plata before.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Nelly said:
Based on the link provided by Malibook:

Cdn - US - DOP:

$500.00 CDN = $380.604 US

$380.604 US = $16,624.40 DOP

Converted directly:

$500.00 CDN = $16,624.40 DOP

Are the savings made at the casa de cambios? They seem to like Canadian Dollars in Sosua but I've had trouble in Puerto Plata before.

Those Oanda rates are all based on the US dollar so obviously the math works out the same.

There is a premium paid on US dollars.
At many cambios, it can be extreme.
Some cambios are run by banks who give much better rates.
The money changer at Jack Tar is a ripoff but the one at the Paradise is quite good.
The difference between changing CDN at Jack Tar and US at Paradise is way more than the official exchange.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Nelly, Rocktoronto posted once that it all comes out the same if you use the online calculation because it's all tied to the US dollar but when I went down in Nov. I did what he suggested which is bring US dollars and I did come out ahead when changing it over there.

At that time I paid 1.31 for US dollar and got up to 42 pesos while for a Canadian dollar they were giving about 25 - 26. I think I ended up with about 4000 more pesos on 1000 CND by doing it that way.

Oh BTW at that time the banks were paying more than the cambios

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Thank You Twice

Anna Coniglio said:
Nelly, Rocktoronto posted once that it all comes out the same if you use the online calculation because it's all tied to the US dollar but when I went down in Nov. I did what he suggested which is bring US dollars and I did come out ahead when changing it over there.

One, for proving I was right in things financial (as is my job).
Two, my cool new "Rocktoronto" moniker.

Bring what they want, US moolah.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
oops :nervous:

I knew I would get something wrong but I didn't think it would be your name. :eek:

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I guess it doesn't hurt to give it a try. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks all!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Nelly said:
Does anyone know the going rate for Canadian ... today in Sosua?
In Cabarete today Alba and I traded 1 Canadian for 2.6 Dominicans. We could have gotten 3.8 really dark skinned Haitians for the same, sole, Canadian but I didn't want AZB making smart alecky remarks later.

Tom aka XR I am ROOT. Obey me!

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Not a Ringing Endorsement

Nelly said:
I guess it doesn't hurt to give it a try. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks all!

Rocktoronto here: you can actually RELY on the advice vs. take a chance. I wans't daring you to do it, it's just good advice, honest to Betsy.

And the CDN$ is up again now so a good time to buy US$ here in Canada then stretch it further when buying the peso. I am off to my banking lair to do that this a.m. fo rthe upcoming non-Semana Santa adventures of ROCK Toronto.

Actually our Lacrosse team here (Canada's official national sport) is the "Toronto Rock".

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
XanaduRanch said:
In Cabarete today Alba and I traded 1 Canadian for 2.6 Dominicans. We could have gotten 3.8 really dark skinned Haitians for the same, sole, Canadian but I didn't want AZB making smart alecky remarks later.

Tom aka XR I am ROOT. Obey me!

yeah that's cute...thanks for hijacking my thread

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
ricktoronto said:
Rocktoronto here: you can actually RELY on the advice vs. take a chance. I wans't daring you to do it, it's just good advice, honest to Betsy.

And the CDN$ is up again now so a good time to buy US$ here in Canada then stretch it further when buying the peso. I am off to my banking lair to do that this a.m. fo rthe upcoming non-Semana Santa adventures of ROCK Toronto.

Actually our Lacrosse team here (Canada's official national sport) is the "Toronto Rock".

I believe you...I mean, you are the one and only Rocktoronto..who wouldn't believe you?

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Oh, About 100 people

Nelly said:
I believe you...I mean, you are the one and only Rocktoronto..who wouldn't believe you?

My blocked list here would be a start. Have fun, don't change too much in a day and watch the rates.