Dominican cigars just for new smokers?

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
I do not smoke cigars. If I have smoked 5 in my life it is much, although I appreciated them after a good meal with some Cognac.

After reading some posts on the export from Dominican cigars to the States, I started to browse the web to find info on the ratings of these cigars.

Maybe naively, I was thinking maybe I can do something in France with some dominican products, and of course cigars were one of these products.

Then I talked to a few cigar smokers here (in Paris, France). How knowledgeable they are I coulnd't tell as I am 100% ignorant, although they are members of cigar clubs, but they were saying that Dominican cigars are OK for a newbie, but for the connoisseur they lack substance.

Now I see some very expensive cigars from DR, like Opus X. I guess that when you spend 25 US for one cigar, you are either an real aficionado who knows what he is paying for, or a rich idiot buying a 'show-off' name.

From what I have been reading on DR1, I understand there must still be some money to be made selling crap or counterfeits to ignorants. But I am taking some care of my karma. I want something different.

So, I have in facts a few questions in mind, for the DR1ers that like cigars:
- Is it possible to find affordable Dominican cigars that regular smokers like?
- Is it possible to buy in DR assorted 'sample' cigars instead of a box of 25?
- Do you have to buy La Aurora Juan Clemente that kind of brands you find in large supermercados or is there a 'cigar cottage industry' ? Once I purchased for a friend Arturo Fuente I think and it was more or less the same price than in Paris.

I hope the cigar men will not be annoyed by these newbie questions! Thank you for any info.

Barnab?

I'll be in SD from 04/17.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Barnabe said:
So, I have in facts a few questions in mind, for the DR1ers that like cigars:
- Is it possible to find affordable Dominican cigars that regular smokers like?
- Is it possible to buy in DR assorted 'sample' cigars instead of a box of 25?
- Do you have to buy La Aurora Juan Clemente that kind of brands you find in large supermercados or is there a 'cigar cottage industry' ? Once I purchased for a friend Arturo Fuente I think and it was more or less the same price than in Paris..

1. Yes
2. No, but all the cigars are sold individually in good shops so it is easy to make up a box of assorted ones.
3. No. There are all different types - go to a good cigar store and try a few - even the big brands ( Leon Jimines, la Flor Dominicana etc.) are of excellent quality.

Don't buy any cigars from beach vendors - they are all fake /seconds imitation Cubans of terrible quality and draw and are overpriced by a factor of 1000%, the box and labels costing more than the cigars inside.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All of the above plus a little more

First off, there is a cigar monoply in France and it is run by Altadis, the world's largest cigar manufacturer.
IF you can get a license to import cigars into France, you can certainly find excellent cigars for your clients.
HOWEVER, you should also know that most all of the brands with which you are familiar: Fuente, La Flor Dominicana, La Aurora, and any of the old Cuban brands like Partegas, H. Upmann or Romeo & Julieta, are already being marketed by huge companies.

There are some smaller factories that make outstanding cigars. You can tell your friends that they don't know "merde" about cigars, BTW, and Dominican cigars can be anywhere between very mild like Macanudo to very strong like Indian Tabac Gorilas or Pedro Martin Family Selection or Patoro. So strong even I do not finish one of them..

What counts is manufacturing quality, consistency, and pricing.

If I can be of any assistence, please send me a PM or an email,

HB

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
As Hb, said, Altadis (previously known as SEITA) is the owner of Tabacalera de Garcia, producer of Montecristo, Santa Damiana, Don Diego,h. Upmann, Santa Damiana, Romeo & Julieta, etc.. Also, they own 50% of Havanos S.a., Te Amo & others. So If you want a complete cigar store, you have to have them.

Also try, J.C. Newman Corp. they sell Tabacalera Fuentes products, and try Dunhill Int., General Cigar, which sells Partagas, Macanudo & others and of course you should look for Davidoff, which also sells Avo.

Last edited:

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Sanson said:
As Hb, said, Altadis (previously knowned as SEITA) is the owner of Tabacalera de Garcia, producer of Montecristo, Santa Damiana, Don Diego,h. Upmann, Santa Damiana, Romeo & Julieta, etc.. Also, they own 50% of Havanos S.a., Te Amo & others. So If you want a complete cigar store, you have to have them.

Also try, J.C. Newman Corp. they sell Tabacalera Fuentes products, and try Dunhill Int., General Cigar, which sells Partagas, Macanudo & others and of course you should look for Davidoff, which also sells Avo.

Thank you for your info.

I didn't consider, even before making some research on the subject, to open a cigar store. When you have a cigar store you MUST know what you are selling.. It is different than selling online, for instance.

Moreover, the retail business is subject to government quotas in France. You simply cannot open a retail tobacco selling business where you would like to.

My idea was more like finding alternative brands.

Barnab?