What do you hate about the DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
So now we've had a lot of threads about what we love about the DR, our most favorite places, the good rum, Presidente, dominoes and everything that makes this place great.

What do you hate about DR day to day living? For me it has to be the eggs with uhm ... chicken poopoo on the shells. It is the most frustrating thing to take eggs out of the fridge and to have to wash them before using. I always worry that something will stick to my hands and inadvertently go into the omelette or cake or whatever.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Not hate but quite irritating is getting most anything done in a timely fashion. "Deals" that are seldom good deals. "i'll get you a cheap price" seem to never be the case. Lack of integrity is rampant.
A drive through the mountains, even on the poor roads makes it all worthwhile though. Add in cold beer and ribs at Rocky's, watching my hero escott in action, AZB's constant jokes, trying to figure out what Rob just said with that odd accent, wondering what XR will post next, hoping the noise in Ken's condo will end (he blames it on the VooDoo but we know better) and you have a fully dysfunctional group/country that works well together and in harmony.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
poo

The poopo on the shells is a natural coating that protects the inside of the egg. When eggs are processed in the US the ppo is washed off and then a wax is placed on them. SO for all the tree huggers out there a nice white eggs in not natural it is processed with chemicals.
John

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Try NOT eating the shells!

I know that they are a good source of calcium :nervous: ,but I hate that "crunch"! CC :nervous: :nervous:

Other than that,"Let The Buyer Beware",is the "Motto" of all busuness' here!I bought a clock,got it home,didn't work,they wouldn't take it back!My wife went to thee pharmacy with a perscription for some "Cream",paid 900 pesos for it,brought it home,and they had sold her the wrong cream,wouldn't take it backThe only "good" thing about this is that I go back wwhen they aare closed,aand inject "Liquid Metal" in all their door locks,or pad locks! Then I drive by in the morning aand watch them trying to open their doors! :bandit: :laugh: :rolleyes:
This "Dirty Trick" works anytime you want to really PISS someone off! Talk about that noisy Colmado,disco,or neighbor? Inject some liquid metal,or epoxy glue in the padlock to their front door,or gate.Then get up early and watch all the fun!!!!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Criss Colon said:
The only "good" thing about this is that I go back wwhen they aare closed,aand inject "Liquid Metal" in all their door locks,or pad locks! Then I drive by in the morning aand watch them trying to open their doors!
This "Dirty Trick" works anytime you want to really PISS someone off! Talk about that noisy Colmado,disco,or neighbor? Inject some liquid metal,or epoxy glue in the padlock to their front door,or gate.Then get up early and watch all the fun!!!!

Great idea, CC.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Colmados with Tourist Prices

Since they don't mark the prices they will at times ( like more or less always) customize the prices for gringos. The one down from where I stay tried it and finally I went in and selected about RD$500 worth of beer, cigs ( the old days when I smoked), Diet Coke, etc., and when he said 700 or 800 or whatever I said, no that's wrong and walked out.

The next time I went in, he brought out a calculator and for each item he told me the price (which was tolerable) and added each up and had me OK the total and since then I pay the same as the locals, or at leat not as bad a gringo premium.

On the plus side I like being able to go down and get 5 RD$ of ice in a little bag , totally adequate and better than a whole great big bag for more. Or one lime, etc.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You crack me up

AlaninDR said:
Not hate but quite irritating is getting most anything done in a timely fashion. "Deals" that are seldom good deals. "i'll get you a cheap price" seem to never be the case. Lack of integrity is rampant.
A drive through the mountains, even on the poor roads makes it all worthwhile though. Add in cold beer and ribs at Rocky's, watching my hero escott in action, AZB's constant jokes, trying to figure out what Rob just said with that odd accent, wondering what XR will post next, hoping the noise in Ken's condo will end (he blames it on the VooDoo but we know better) and you have a fully dysfunctional group/country that works well together and in harmony.

The loud music from next door.
Then there's the louder music from next door.
Then there's the loudest music and the CD player on repeat.
If I hear any more of that plinky plinky shyte I'm going to blow a gasket.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
1. The incessant heat. This must be the worst problem because it prevents me (and a lot of others) from going there at all the hottest time of year. People could (and I'm sure do) die from it. Loss of power, for at least a fan, can be a life or death situation.

2. Crime and lawlessness. This is a close 2nd. Unfortunately, since it occurs in all seasons, if I start cancelling trips because of it, when can I go back at all?

3. The noise. It is not "pollution" because it is intentional - therefore there is no chance that anything will be done about it. Domincans' hearing is damaged, probably in the womb, and therefore requires progressively louder and louder sound to hear at all. It's a viscous cycle, similar to that of a drug addict - they're "sound addicted". Sometimes I actually wear hearing protection from a gunshop.

An almost comical example is the way that they congregate at telephone call offices for group discussions, of all things, completely oblivious to those who are there to place a call.

Those are the 3 big ones. Most of the others have at least some sort of work-around.

4. Power outages. Planning (inverters, etc.) helps a lot. So does spending time in the campo with a different lifestyle.

5. The general lack of consideration for others.

6. The way that gringos are cheated. If one plans on frequent trips, he has to cultivate a Dominican (that he can trust at least halfway) to "front" for him.

7. Water outages and lack of potable water. The outage problem would be even more serious if it happened more often. Luckily, one can usually buy bottled water (albeit of questionable integrity, as everything is in the DR), otherwise this problem would be much bigger.

8. The way the airlines get into the act and gouge travellers by charging fares that are often several times as much per mile as to other destinations.

9. The way the telephone companies get into the act and gouge callers by charging tolls that are usually several times as much as to other destinations.

10. The way some people (usually those who have seen little of it except for AI's and other tourist areas) refer to it as "paradise" - something like the 3 little piglets huddling together for mutual support while they sing "Who's afraid of the big bad wolf".

In short, one has to constantly remind himself why he is in the DR in the first place, and that some things are more important than others (whatever that might be to him).

REMEMBER WHERE YOU'RE (AT).

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
Not being punctual !

Being educated in a country where being punctual and provide trustworthy services is normal it annoys me and I think most of the foreigners in the DR how Dominicans can be extremely unpunctual and therefore you cannot trust in them ! Spoken in general terms: The overhelming majority of these people do not have any sense for personal responsibility !

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Hate:

1. The road conditions. The traffic isn't what white knuckles me. It's the fear of missing a pothole, losing control of the car, and slamming in to a motoconcho.

2. The trash.

Irritant:

1. Noise of the motoconchos while eating dinner in town.

2. Motoconchos with no lights at night while I'm driving in the rain, being blinded by oncoming headlights on high, fearing I'm going to hit one.

Karl

Jan 1, 2002
andy a said:
1. The incessant heat. This must be the worst problem because it prevents me (and a lot of others) from going there at all the hottest time of year. People could (and I'm sure do) die from it. Loss of power, for at least a fan, can be a life or death situation.

2. Crime and lawlessness. This is a close 2nd. Unfortunately, since it occurs in all seasons, if I start cancelling trips because of it, when can I go back at all?

3. The noise. It is not "pollution" because it is intentional - therefore there is no chance that anything will be done about it. Domincans' hearing is damaged, probably in the womb, and therefore requires progressively louder and louder sound to hear at all. It's a viscous cycle, similar to that of a drug addict - they're "sound addicted". Sometimes I actually wear hearing protection from a gunshop.

An almost comical example is the way that they congregate at telephone call offices for group discussions, of all things, completely oblivious to those who are there to place a call.

Those are the 3 big ones. Most of the others have at least some sort of work-around.

4. Power outages. Planning (inverters, etc.) helps a lot. So does spending time in the campo with a different lifestyle.

5. The general lack of consideration for others.

6. The way that gringos are cheated. If one plans on frequent trips, he has to cultivate a Dominican (that he can trust at least halfway) to "front" for him.

7. Water outages and lack of potable water. The outage problem would be even more serious if it happened more often. Luckily, one can usually buy bottled water (albeit of questionable integrity, as everything is in the DR), otherwise this problem would be much bigger.

8. The way the airlines get into the act and gouge travellers by charging fares that are often several times as much per mile as to other destinations.

9. The way the telephone companies get into the act and gouge callers by charging tolls that are usually several times as much as to other destinations.

10. The way some people (usually those who have seen little of it except for AI's and other tourist areas) refer to it as "paradise" - something like the 3 little piglets huddling together for mutual support while they sing "Who's afraid of the big bad wolf".

In short, one has to constantly remind himself why he is in the DR in the first place, and that some things are more important than others (whatever that might be to him).

REMEMBER WHERE YOU'RE (AT).

that was excellently put, i cant believe i actually considered retiring to that country, thank god i didnt buy anything.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
plus exchange rate

The punctuality thing really freaked me out on my first few visits to the DR. Here is the way I have found best to deal with it. Be sure to have a book to read or possibly a game boy with you at all times, an MP3 player or PAD also helps.

Real Dominican time is best explained as: ?I?ll be there in 5 min.? translates to I?ll be there in 5 min. plus the US currency exchange rate. So if the rate is 47 they will be there in 52 min. I have found this to be true in most cases. Now if there is a Dominican woman involved it will always be longer. Try watching some of the younger women trying to get into those tight pants. The wiggle alone is 30 min.

hansbert said:
Being educated in a country where being punctual and provide trustworthy services is normal it annoys me and I think most of the foreigners in the DR how Dominicans can be extremely unpunctual and therefore you cannot trust in them ! Spoken in general terms: The overhelming majority of these people do not have any sense for personal responsibility !

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Besides the potholes and the UBH's from sosua, I love everything about this country.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
jsizemore said:
The poopo on the shells is a natural coating that protects the inside of the egg. When eggs are processed in the US the ppo is washed off and then a wax is placed on them. SO for all the tree huggers out there a nice white eggs in not natural it is processed with chemicals.
John

I still prefer my eggs with wax on...

I can live with the potholes, the noise and the tardiness. The road conditions are easier to deal with in the daytime, so, we've cut our nighttime driving to the absolute minimum. The cheating gets easier to deal with the longer you live here, and it becomes quite fun to negotiate. The heat? I mostly like the heat. Mosquitos - I become quite environmentally insensitive and kill 'em! I don't care about the UBH's. Let those that are so inclined deal with this. So, these are not real irritants for me. One other thing that irritates me, is the difficulty of doing small things, for example paying a cell phone bill and having to have a pin number to do it. Everything takes a little longer to do, especially business related things.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Hates:
Motoconcho-Noise, pollution, stupidity (I get out of my car and the dope says, "Concho?")

Dirt-The beach after the Dominicans leave on Sundays, the Dominicans just throwing crap out of their windows as they drive, Dominicans just throwing crap in the road drains.

Graft Greed and Corruption-The idiot asked me for a propina when he was stamping my passport to leave the country. They ask for $20US not to search your bags when you arrive. If you get a court order you may not get it enforced if the other party has the money to pay off. You then have to start again. They even ask for a propina as they are searching your luggage when you leave. Good thing that you can buy a drivers license for little money and not bother having to take a test. For money you avoid all government BS.

Prejudice-Black Dominicans think that they are white and are extremely prejudiced against blacks. I look at these people like they have 6 eyes in their heads and think to myself "you are just another minority where I come from and how dare you treat these people like you do". They just don't get it.

What a country... Definately the land of opportunity!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Escott said:
... stupidity (I get out of my car and the dope says, "Concho?")
I'll second that one. I was beginning to think that only happened to me. What idiots. And I'll add:

• 'The Change Sankeys' in the street. 'Change? Change money?' One moron has known me for over three years. I don't know what drugs he's on but they must be pretty potent. One day he approached me three times within 1/2 hour while eating at PJ's with Alba. Forgot every word of our conversation 5 minutes later. Santiago's getting worse even than Sosua down on Calle el Sol.
  • Lack of Respect for Possessions. I absolutey never have seen people destroy things so quickly. Books, TV's telephones, TV remotes, toys, photos, hierlooms, whatever. In the hands of a Dominican these items all become about as long lived as a bottle of Brugal at a Dominos tournament. I hate that! I have possessions with me that I've had for 35 years. Alba, the kids, and her sisters are here and in one night destoyed or damaged three, count 'em three, DSS remote controls. There is going to be a big attitude adjustment when the kids get back from school in Santiago in June.
  • The Flexible Pricing Plan. Read: The screw the customer plan, man. I hate going to stores with a certain amount of money in my pocket to spend, only to find that nothing has a price listed on it. It's impossible to budget as you go through the store. And loits of times this is just because the owner wants to charge different folks differently - whatever he can get. I have stopped shopping at these places and stick to the bigger stores in Santiago. Keeps the blood pressure down.
Tom aka XR Your kid may be an honor student but you're still an idiot!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Camden Tom said:
but I find the things I like way over compensate for the things I don't like.

I'm with you! so I curse and I wash those damn eggs with the poopoo on them! After a year and a half of living in the DR permanently, I decided that I really like my new adopted country.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Chris said:
I'm with you! so I curse and I wash those damn eggs with the poopoo on them! After a year and a half of living in the DR permanently, I decided that I really like my new adopted country.
I personally prefer the poo pooed eggs over the waxed ones.
AZB

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
AZB said:
I personally prefer the poo pooed eggs over the waxed ones.
AZB
I am sure what everyone is dieing to find out, AZB, is do you buy those UBE's* produced on the North Coast, or stick solely to poopooed white eggs from Santiago?

Tom aka XR I saw an ad in Listin Diario for 24 Hour Banking But I don't have that much time.

*UBE's - Ugly Brown Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.