Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you hate about the DR?

So now we've had a lot of threads about what we love about the DR, our most favorite places, the good rum, Presidente, dominoes and everything that makes this place great.

What do you hate about DR day to day living? For me it has to be the eggs with uhm ... chicken poopoo on the shells. It is the most frustrating thing to take eggs out of the fridge and to have to wash them before using. I always worry that something will stick to my hands and inadvertently go into the omelette or cake or whatever.

Mr. Chunky Skin
    Post Thanks / Like

Not hate but quite irritating is getting most anything done in a timely fashion. "Deals" that are seldom good deals. "i'll get you a cheap price" seem to never be the case. Lack of integrity is rampant.
    A drive through the mountains, even on the poor roads makes it all worthwhile though. Add in cold beer and ribs at Rocky's, watching my hero escott in action, AZB's constant jokes, trying to figure out what Rob just said with that odd accent, wondering what XR will post next, hoping the noise in Ken's condo will end (he blames it on the VooDoo but we know better) and you have a fully dysfunctional group/country that works well together and in harmony.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default poo

The poopo on the shells is a natural coating that protects the inside of the egg. When eggs are processed in the US the ppo is washed off and then a wax is placed on them. SO for all the tree huggers out there a nice white eggs in not natural it is processed with chemicals.
    John
    Last edited by jsizemore; 04-04-2004 at 11:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Try NOT eating the shells!

I know that they are a good source of calcium ,but I hate that "crunch"! CC

Other than that,"Let The Buyer Beware",is the "Motto" of all busuness' here!I bought a clock,got it home,didn't work,they wouldn't take it back!My wife went to thee pharmacy with a perscription for some "Cream",paid 900 pesos for it,brought it home,and they had sold her the wrong cream,wouldn't take it backThe only "good" thing about this is that I go back wwhen they aare closed,aand inject "Liquid Metal" in all their door locks,or pad locks! Then I drive by in the morning aand watch them trying to open their doors!
    This "Dirty Trick" works anytime you want to really **** someone off! Talk about that noisy Colmado,disco,or neighbor? Inject some liquid metal,or epoxy glue in the padlock to their front door,or gate.Then get up early and watch all the fun!!!!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon
    The only "good" thing about this is that I go back wwhen they aare closed,aand inject "Liquid Metal" in all their door locks,or pad locks! Then I drive by in the morning aand watch them trying to open their doors!
    This "Dirty Trick" works anytime you want to really **** someone off! Talk about that noisy Colmado,disco,or neighbor? Inject some liquid metal,or epoxy glue in the padlock to their front door,or gate.Then get up early and watch all the fun!!!!
    Great idea, CC.

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Colmados with Tourist Prices

Since they don't mark the prices they will at times ( like more or less always) customize the prices for gringos. The one down from where I stay tried it and finally I went in and selected about RD$500 worth of beer, cigs ( the old days when I smoked), Diet Coke, etc., and when he said 700 or 800 or whatever I said, no that's wrong and walked out.

The next time I went in, he brought out a calculator and for each item he told me the price (which was tolerable) and added each up and had me OK the total and since then I pay the same as the locals, or at leat not as bad a gringo premium.

On the plus side I like being able to go down and get 5 RD$ of ice in a little bag , totally adequate and better than a whole great big bag for more. Or one lime, etc.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You crack me up

Quote Originally Posted by AlaninDR
    Not hate but quite irritating is getting most anything done in a timely fashion. "Deals" that are seldom good deals. "i'll get you a cheap price" seem to never be the case. Lack of integrity is rampant.
    A drive through the mountains, even on the poor roads makes it all worthwhile though. Add in cold beer and ribs at Rocky's, watching my hero escott in action, AZB's constant jokes, trying to figure out what Rob just said with that odd accent, wondering what XR will post next, hoping the noise in Ken's condo will end (he blames it on the VooDoo but we know better) and you have a fully dysfunctional group/country that works well together and in harmony.
    The loud music from next door.
    Then there's the louder music from next door.
    Then there's the loudest music and the CD player on repeat.
    If I hear any more of that plinky plinky shyte I'm going to blow a gasket.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

1. The incessant heat. This must be the worst problem because it prevents me (and a lot of others) from going there at all the hottest time of year. People could (and I'm sure do) die from it. Loss of power, for at least a fan, can be a life or death situation.

2. Crime and lawlessness. This is a close 2nd. Unfortunately, since it occurs in all seasons, if I start cancelling trips because of it, when can I go back at all?

3. The noise. It is not "pollution" because it is intentional - therefore there is no chance that anything will be done about it. Domincans' hearing is damaged, probably in the womb, and therefore requires progressively louder and louder sound to hear at all. It's a viscous cycle, similar to that of a drug addict - they're "sound addicted". Sometimes I actually wear hearing protection from a gunshop.

An almost comical example is the way that they congregate at telephone call offices for group discussions, of all things, completely oblivious to those who are there to place a call.

Those are the 3 big ones. Most of the others have at least some sort of work-around.

4. Power outages. Planning (inverters, etc.) helps a lot. So does spending time in the campo with a different lifestyle.

5. The general lack of consideration for others.

6. The way that gringos are cheated. If one plans on frequent trips, he has to cultivate a Dominican (that he can trust at least halfway) to "front" for him.

7. Water outages and lack of potable water. The outage problem would be even more serious if it happened more often. Luckily, one can usually buy bottled water (albeit of questionable integrity, as everything is in the DR), otherwise this problem would be much bigger.

8. The way the airlines get into the act and gouge travellers by charging fares that are often several times as much per mile as to other destinations.

9. The way the telephone companies get into the act and gouge callers by charging tolls that are usually several times as much as to other destinations.

10. The way some people (usually those who have seen little of it except for AI's and other tourist areas) refer to it as "paradise" - something like the 3 little piglets huddling together for mutual support while they sing "Who's afraid of the big bad wolf".

In short, one has to constantly remind himself why he is in the DR in the first place, and that some things are more important than others (whatever that might be to him).

REMEMBER WHERE YOU'RE (AT).

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not being punctual !

Being educated in a country where being punctual and provide trustworthy services is normal it annoys me and I think most of the foreigners in the DR how Dominicans can be extremely unpunctual and therefore you cannot trust in them ! Spoken in general terms: The overhelming majority of these people do not have any sense for personal responsibility !

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hate:

1. The road conditions. The traffic isn't what white knuckles me. It's the fear of missing a pothole, losing control of the car, and slamming in to a motoconcho.

2. The trash.

Irritant:

1. Noise of the motoconchos while eating dinner in town.

2. Motoconchos with no lights at night while I'm driving in the rain, being blinded by oncoming headlights on high, fearing I'm going to hit one.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast