Gran Ventana Resort

CathyV

Mar 30, 2004
We are thinking of going here in October. Can anybody tell me about this resort. There will be 3 of us. Myself 42, my sister-in-law 41 and my sister 58. We want to go on some excursions also. How is the hotel rooms??
Do they all have balconys? Good ocean views?
How is the food??

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
if you do a search you will find tonnes of info but this site also has hotel reviews with everybodys past experiences at this hotel.

Enjoy yourself

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Good for You !

CathyV said:
We are thinking of going here in October. Can anybody tell me about this resort. There will be 3 of us. Myself 42, my sister-in-law 41 and my sister 58. We want to go on some excursions also. How is the hotel rooms??
How is the food??

I surmise correctly that you have NOT already booked and paid for this trip at this place?

I wonder as if so I am amazed at tourists who book and pay for AI's (on top of anyone who stays in them at all) then start asking questions vs. asking first then buying later.

Well done, bravo - you may want to specify where it is, e.g. the city. Others can then follow along gleefully gleaning generously given goods.

Michael

Jan 25, 2002
Grand Pollo Of Criticism

Mr. Rick in Toronto--------Following this board for over 3 years there is one thing I know for sure-------if you do not like what you read and its not what you would have done its time to show your I know it all side. 99% of all your input is Bias--your view or no view----LIGHTEN UP

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I dont think the point is to lighten up, i think the point is that Rick quite clearly abhors AI hotels so why does he insist on commenting on threads where people have asked for some helpful information.

Rick can you not think of one single reason why some people book their holiday and then post threads asking what it is like there? Here's one.............(and it didnt take much thought)

- Maybe they only found out about 'DR1' after they booked their holiday?

However, in this case, Cathy hasn't booked her holiday yet, so instead of listing your pet hates, why don't you come up with a comment that actually has something to do with her questions.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Here's A Tip

Michael said:
Mr. Rick in Toronto--------Following this board for over 3 years there is one thing I know for sure-------if you do not like what you read and its not what you would have done its time to show your I know it all side. 99% of all your input is Bias--your view or no view----LIGHTEN UP

Mind your own beeswax. Block my posts if you want. Tough darts, farmer.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Any helpful dr1 members here?

Our thread has something to do with the Gran Ventana in Playa Dorada. Just to refresh your memories, it included questions about the food, balconies, rooms, views and excursions.

Why the thread seemed to divert to negative comments on people who book their holidays and then ask for info, i do not know. That is not the case here so.........let's try and stick to this.....................

General (this section of the forums)
Many who have been here before are willing to share their travel experiences and knowledge with you. DR1's own staff travel experts also ready to answer your travel-related questions.

CathyV

Mar 30, 2004
okay... okay...

First - I have NOT book the vacation yet. I am looking for information. This IS what these boards are for!!! :D

Second - Gran Ventana is in Puerto Plata (playa dorada)

Just want to know about the excursions, the hotel rooms, do they all have balconys? Good ocean views? and the food??

ANYBODY????

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Try Debbie's Site

CathyV said:
okay... okay...

First - I have NOT book the vacation yet. I am looking for information. This IS what these boards are for!!! :D

Second - Gran Ventana is in Puerto Plata (playa dorada)

Just want to know about the excursions, the hotel rooms, do they all have balconys? Good ocean views? and the food??

ANYBODY????

Debbies Dominican Travel web site has a billion AI reviews submitted by regular folks by region - this place has to be there, in spades.

Remote

Mar 13, 2004
And another place ...

Cathy, when I was researching our AI in the DR I also found tripadvisor.com helpful, although you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt. If the MAJORITY are favourable, and there are no complaints about bloody axe murderers roaming the halls, you can probably rest easy. It IS interesting to read the cultural differences in critiques. Sometimes it's amusing - especially if it's not your resort :lol

Debbie's forums http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com are more helpful, though, to get questions like yours answered. You can be guaranteed to find plenty of folks who have stayed at that resort and can tell you everything you want to know. Have a great trip!

Pat

Dec 9, 2002
[QUOTEJust want to know about the excursions, the hotel rooms, do they all have balconys? Good ocean views? and the food?? ANYBODY????[/QUOTE]

OK, excursions - there are many available but don't book them through your tour rep - they are waaaay too expensive. They are cheaper in the mall across the road from Gran Ventana, or you can buy them from the guys on the beach - they sell exactly the same tours at half the price. Your rep at the hotel will they you are not insured, but this is codswallop.

Hotel rooms - all much the same, one massive bed or 2 big beds, TV, telephone, bathroom. All perfectly adequate but as I said before, in need of a bit of updating. All have balcony's, some have ocean views. If you really want an ocean view let them know, they will give you one if possible.

Food - I think I mentioned this previously. The main buffet serves very good food - all the usual buffet stuff plus freshly cooked chicken, beef, pork chops, sausages, there's a pasta bar where you get your choice cooked for you, there's always some sort of carvery type roast - turkey or suckling pig or beef. On the buffet there are meat dishes, fish dishes, hot and cold dishes, salads, veggies, chips, pasta and rice dishes, I could go on and on.

There are 3 a la carte restaurants that you have to book in advance. all are different, and all are very good.

CathyV

Mar 30, 2004
thank-you!

Thank Dominican Babe!
Thats what I wanted to hear :classic:
Lots of info. Between your post and all the other - It give me more of an idea about this place. After 603 posts... you must know what your talking about!!!
Thanks so much

Cathy

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi CathyV,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

Dominican Babe is giving you good advise but not because of her number of posts - simply because she knows and is willing to help.

The number of posts is not a guarantee of knowledge, by any means - my mind is drawn to memories of a goat farmer with over 500 posts about; nothing worth reading - IMHO.

Gregg

dacama1

Apr 7, 2004
CathyV said:
How is the food??

I have been to the Gran Ventana a couple of times and always found the rooms and ammenities clean and upscale. The staff has always been helpful.

The local village is a nice place to go shopping also. Of course as in any foreign country please use common sense when you leave the grounds of the hotel. I would probably have them get you a taxi, I also never pay my driver until he comes back to pick me up.

I travel to the DR frequently and visit all over the country.

Please remember the economy is in a nosedive and this makes it very hard for the average Dominican to make a living.

CA

Dec 9, 2002
FireGuy said:
The number of posts is not a guarantee of knowledge, by any means - my mind is drawn to memories of a goat farmer with over 500 posts about; nothing worth reading - IMHO.

Gregg
My thoughts exactly :D :D

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Taxis are expensive especially when taken from your hotel. You can walk to the main gates of the complex and grab a bus that will take you right into Puerto Plata, and you can walk around and get a feel for the place. Getting a bus or taxi back is easy - Puerto Plata is not that big. I do stay in AI's but the time share section, so I have taken this bus many many times alone, without incident to get to the grocery store, etc.

Also, if you ARE adventurous and tired of your hotel food, take a short walk (daytime please) out the gates towards POP, and look for El Manguito for some real Dominican food. ALternatively, walk along the beach past all the resorts to some of the beach restaurants run by locals....the freshest fish and nice cold ones wait for you!

Note: I have not been able to visit in 2 years - hoping El Manguito restaurant is still going strong.

Have a great time wherever you end up going.