Football: I need information about DR-football!

Hoffnung

Apr 5, 2004
:speechles
To everyone in the Dominican Republic who knows more about a forgotten sport in this country:
Some weeks ago I went to a football/soccer game between Dominican Republic and Anguilla (which is part of G.B. as far as I know:p), which was the 2nd qualification-game for the 2006 World Cup in Germany.
I had to pay a "redicously high" price of TWENTY (20) pesos for a ticket, which turned out to be a ticket of the PanAm-Games 2003.
Before the game started I counted at least 300 visitors, however, 20 of them were part of the Cuban football-team which had to play a few days later against DR, and 30 more were from the FIFA-committee.
The game was ok, Dominican Republic played better than I expected, and won 6-0 against a 13.000-inhabitants island with no defense and a desastrous substitude-goalie.
However, after the game I began to ask myself how the Dominican football system, league, or associaton, works. Besides, I'm interested in playing in a team, and I really don't know how the national team finds its players, or better, "where do they come from". I heard about a league, and some teams, but never anything official. There WAS an official homepage of the Dominican Football Association which now turns out to be a french game-homepage (a fake). I was looking for "equipos; Liga; futbol" etc. etc. in combination with Republica Dominicana - and I found NADA.
So I'm asking you people - Is there anyone able to find a homepage about football in DR, any adresses, or a list of teams, leagues, players, etc... in the Dominican Republic? Is it possible for me as a foreign citizen to play in any national league?
I want to collect information and maybe find an answer for my questions.
Thanks,
PKA

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
Dominican football

Im asking the same thing you are. Wundering if you found any info, Ive tried to but I cant.

Firefan

Feb 17, 2005
Football for fun

Not sure we are discussing the same thing but i would love to play some (casual - you sound pretty pro!) football here for exercise and fun. I have gotten a few (well 3) people gathered all expats sofar, but hope to have Dominicans too soon. I was planning to post here for more members for some casual football.
Looks like at least a 7-a-side could be possible and a friend is currently checking for possible fields.
Anybody interested can just post it here and will follow up when know a bit more! Cheers! FF

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
The DR plays world cup qualifying futbol??????

I would also like to know more about this.

What are the links to the newspaper sports pages, please.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dominican Football was pretty much

Flushed down the toilet in 1975.
An idiot, Enrique Marchena, banned the universities from competing in the First Division that, at the time has5 teams from higher education isntitutions and two more pending.

That move pretty much destroyed the league. I mean, who wants to root for a "Bancreditcard? team.

The basic rivalries were smashed at the same time since the local clubs of Moca, LaVega and Villa Tapia had nothing to offer their young prospects, since the universities had cut out their scholarship programs.

What has evolved over the years is a semi-pro cercuit of mediocre playing and even less professional guidance.

Even Monte Llano had a team in one of the championships. The universities don't have teams anymore, at least that matter.

Sorry, but the sad situation may or may not be fixable.

At one time we had Espa?a, supported by the Spanish colony in Santo Domingo; Refor, supported by the Reformatory in San Cristobal and their Father "Epi"a true saint!,and a great Spaniard, Rosendo Sep?lva, the UASD, the UNPHU, a team from Haina, a team called Aurora, developed by Fortunato Quispe Mendoza a Bolivian labor leader that came here in the early 60s to "organize labor unions." The Spanish colony in San Pedro had a team, so did San Francisco de Macoris, Villa Tapia, Moca, La VEga, the UCMM (now the PUCMM) and ISA. Games were attended by thousands, and we filled the Quisqueya ball park to see Cerro de Montevideo play our national team (which lost 1-2). We hadclose to 10,000 attend a game in the Estadio Cibao to see the same team play the UCMM national champs.. 20,000 came to see Pel? and the NY Cosmos play Violet from Haiti. The national champions participated in the Concacaf Tournament of Champions in Suriman, and played in Curacao, Puerto Rico and Haiti. YOu could say that we were a few years away from a very serious professional circuit, much like Mexico or Chile or Equador...:(:(

At one time there were 54 junior teams in the Northwest: from La Herradura to Villa Vasquez there were football pitches. Santiago and Santo domingo along with Moca and La Vega had Second Division teams that played locally and then had a national playoff.

You might find some place to play, if you look...Good luck, it is a great sport.

HB :(

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
When I was a student in INTEC, back in the pleistocene, the university had a football team. They used to practice in the UNPHU field. I don't know how they are doing now.

I know that there are some expats and locals playing football regularly here, mostly for the work out (and post-game beers). I'll see what I can find out from the two people I know that play(ed?) football in this group.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
I have heard of at least 2 places in Santo Domingo, where they play football. One of them is in the School San Judas Tadeo, Naco. Mostly south and central americans, and some dominicans too gather every sunday to play futbol, they make inter country matches. They play from 9:00 am to 12:00 m. I have not gone yet... I would like to go and check them out... err.. to appreciate their futbol skills of course...

The other place is around the dominican fiesta hotel, I have not information about the location, but I can post tomorrow.

Hope it helps.

Jess

Firefan

Feb 17, 2005
Casual football

Hi Jess and Pib,
thanks! everything you can add of info wil help! Cheers, FF

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Work With A Member Of The Dominican "FIFA" Admin.

He went to Korea for the "CUP",and last year to a meeting in Europe.Let me see if he wants to be an "Information Source" for your questions. CCCCCCCCCC

Roberto284

Jul 2, 2004
Soccer

I would like to play ... let me know when and where
i used to play in Loyola High School and Babeque School on sundays

would be nice to have a match

See ya

Robb

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
The Dr system of pro soccer is very disorganized , poorly funded , and has very low level play .However in some recent youth tournaments they have done ver well and have shown a great amount good football.The National team is getting better too. The have two brothers that play in italy that played for Dr in its last qualifier verse Trinidad (only one of them actually played , but couldnt do much becuase the trini players fouled the crap out of him,which is reasonable due to the fact that he was the only foward or player for that matter who had the ability to score) they have a good goalie who plays Pro Football in El Salvador and is part of one of their best teams(Aguila) ,he is also considered one of the best goalies in the counrty.There is one who plays in Costa Rica ,he is probably the best one , he was named forienger of the year in 2001 , he played for Saprissa (CRs best team) for two years and now i think he plays for Ajaluense which is making the run for the CR cup.He is a star player out there.I beleive he doesnt play for Dr becuase he is an already nationalized citizen of Costa rica and wants to play on the national team . There are a few more guys that play in the spanish 2nd division and one that plays in Norway.So little by little ,they're gettin thier weight up.They are also on the ballot to host the next sub-17 mundial(its considered one of the most important youth tournaments in the world) ,which would be good publicity for the sport and for the country if all goes well .Dr soccer is gettin better , they just need someone to invest some money into them , get some good foriegn coaches and teams to set up camps to train the players better,get good foriegn players to play in our leagues and raise the level of play,They also need more Dominicans from Europe and the USA ,who play soccer to try out,they also need a good publicist to sell the sport , becuase it only reaches certian places , with all of this Dr would be up there with the best of them or at least able to compete against them and not get rocked . They also have to change the way the Concacaf has its world cup qualifiers set up becuase its very unfair to the smaller countries .lastly,Dr has trouble qualifiying for the world cup becuase they can never beat Trinidad, whose team has enough talent to beat mexico ,usa, and some other soccer nations.This is too hard of a task for a baseball country like ours.so until then Dr will only be able to see the WC though the TV.

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
irishdomician said:
just wondering where you got your info from?

Im a huge soccer fan i ve been playin it since i was 9 , i played for my high school my sophmore year and i ve been aware that they have had a team since 1998 when i saw that they were in the FIFA 98 playstation game . i didnt get to know more about them until 2001 with the help of the internet .They used to have a website but it went down .Right now i get my info from a group that im part of on Yahoo Mexico called FutDom , Where Dominican futbol is talked about .Alot of the members are part of the DR futbol federacion in some way ,most are just fans like me .We get alot of recent info becuase of that.

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Roberto284 said:
I would like to play ... let me know when and where
i used to play in Loyola High School and Babeque School on sundays

would be nice to have a match

See ya

Robb

If you are serious about playing for the national team i can give you a few email address of some people that do know that answer to you questions and most likely have you suited up(if you can make that team) playing in the next tournament.

Roberto284

Jul 2, 2004
Thanks

FuegoAzul21 said:
If you are serious about playing for the national team i can give you a few email address of some people that do know that answer to you questions and most likely have you suited up(if you can make that team) playing in the next tournament.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks but im not looking to be a pro soccer player...

i would like to play just to have fun

Thanks anyway =)

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Roberto284 said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks but im not looking to be a pro soccer player...

i would like to play just to have fun

Thanks anyway =)

well if you know somebody who does let him know that DR has a national team and is open to anyone who can play, they can also use any help they can get becuase they suck really bad .

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Pib said:
When I was a student in INTEC, back in the pleistocene...

Yeah right, stop fooling people, young lady.......if so, did they play with a round rock?? ;)