Sosua, Cabarete, Boca Chica HELP!!

nyc11

Apr 6, 2004
Please help me. I am new to this site. I am planning to go away about May/June. A few guys in our 20's. We are looking for a place with a good nightlife, where there is a young crowd(20-30yrs. old). I want somewhere where there is a beach, nightlife, girls and not just a place filled with hookers. Is it true that in Boca Chica that is all there is. What is the best place to stay and what hotel/resort. Please Help?

Last edited:

nycVu

Mar 30, 2004
Hey, NYC11! Welcome.

I'll get a lot of flack for my comments about Boca Chica I'm sure, but I spent 8 days there in November and thought it was a great little happening town, not far from the capital city, Santo Domingo where your chances of meeting "non-pro" women would probably be better. You may find some girls not down for pay-for-play in Boca Chica, but as I'm sure Dale7 will state later, they're harder to spot...

I stayed in the All Inclusive Hamaca and it just wasn't me. I didn't like it. It's plush, but if you're a people person (and I assume you are, "NYC" is in your post name...), you'll agree it's not all that inviting. I would recommend the Hotel Zapata. It's cheap. The only non-AI that's right on the beach and it's "guest-friendly"...

There's not much to see and/or do in Boca Chica, although you will enjoy it nonetheless. For that reason, I've decided on my second trip to head to the north coast - Sosua - for a different feel for the DR.

Hope this helps... BTW, when are you going down? I'm there from 5/25-6/5...

nyc11

Apr 6, 2004
I'm planning on going down 2nd or 3rd weekend in May or June. How is Sosua supposed to be compared to BC. What are the good resorts in Sosua. I guess you don't recommend Cabarete.

nycVu said:
Hey, NYC11! Welcome.

I'll get a lot of flack for my comments about Boca Chica I'm sure, but I spent 8 days there in November and thought it was a great little happening town, not far from the capital city, Santo Domingo where your chances of meeting "non-pro" women would probably be better. You may find some girls not down for pay-for-play in Boca Chica, but as I'm sure Dale7 will state later, they're harder to spot...

I stayed in the All Inclusive Hamaca and it just wasn't me. I didn't like it. It's plush, but if you're a people person (and I assume you are, "NYC" is in your post name...), you'll agree it's not all that inviting. I would recommend the Hotel Zapata. It's cheap. The only non-AI that's right on the beach and it's "guest-friendly"...

There's not much to see and/or do in Boca Chica, although you will enjoy it nonetheless. For that reason, I've decided on my second trip to head to the north coast - Sosua - for a different feel for the DR.

Hope this helps... BTW, when are you going down? I'm there from 5/25-6/5...

nycVu

Mar 30, 2004
Well, I've never been to Cabarete, but from what I understand, it's primarily a surfing, wind/water sports sorta place... Not my thing, but while I'm in Sosua, it's so close, I may drive the 15 minutes over to check it out for a day. I understand the restaurants there are pretty cool, but the water ain't meant to swim in (too choppy)...

As far as resorts in Sosua, I'd recommend you check out this site, www.sosua.com. It's been quite helpful for me and I know you could find out about any possible hotel. I'm looking at either the Waterfront, Voramar or the Europa myself, although that may change...

As far as comparisons, again from what I'm learning from this site and others, just reading the posts, it seems BC is a bit of a dump in comparison to the more "upscale" Sosua. There definitely seems to be more nightlife, restaurants, hotels and activities in Sosua, but then again, BC had its charms too... But that Playa Sosua definitely looks more inviting. In fact, its crest reminds me of Copacabana/Ipanema in Rio. Now THAT's a vacation!! :lick:

nyc11 said:
I'm planning on going down 2nd or 3rd weekend in May or June. How is Sosua supposed to be compared to BC. What are the good resorts in Sosua. I guess you don't recommend Cabarete.

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
nycVu said:
Well, I've never been to Cabarete, but from what I understand, it's primarily a surfing, wind/water sports sorta place... Not my thing, but while I'm in Sosua, it's so close, I may drive the 15 minutes over to check it out for a day. I understand the restaurants there are pretty cool, but the water ain't meant to swim in (too choppy)...

As far as resorts in Sosua, I'd recommend you check out this site, www.sosua.com. It's been quite helpful for me and I know you could find out about any possible hotel. I'm looking at either the Waterfront, Voramar or the Europa myself, although that may change...

As far as comparisons, again from what I'm learning from this site and others, just reading the posts, it seems BC is a bit of a dump in comparison to the more "upscale" Sosua. There definitely seems to be more nightlife, restaurants, hotels and activities in Sosua, but then again, BC had its charms too... But that Playa Sosua definitely looks more inviting. In fact, its crest reminds me of Copacabana/Ipanema in Rio. Now THAT's a vacation!! :lick:

Sosua is a great town, nyc11. I had a fantastic time there. The nightlife is excellent, everything is within walking distance of the hotels, the beach is beautiful...you can travel to Puerto Plata or to Cabarete in no time. The cabs are pretty cheap, but you can take guaguas and motoconchos as well. I loved it, and would go back in a minute. I stayed at Sosua by the Sea, which was fantastic. It was a smaller AI with a big AI next door. Go to www.tripadvisor.com and search for Sosua and you will come up with my review and others of the hotels. There are lots of professionals hanging around, but there are lots who aren't, and you may not even know the difference! It isn't what you're picturing, trust me. (Or am I just naive? Please don't answer that...)

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
By the way, if you are able to fly out of Canada at all, there are ridiculously cheap AI vacations to PP and Sosua. If you fly last minute, you might be able to get something for around $500 ($700 w/ the entry taxes) CANADIAN for the week, including flight. I saw a trip to the hotel I stayed in for that price. I almost booked it. Frickin exams... Check out www.selloffvacations.com if you're interested.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Even less at times

Red_Girl said:
By the way, if you are able to fly out of Canada at all, there are ridiculously cheap AI vacations to PP and Sosua. If you fly last minute, you might be able to get something for around $500 ($700 w/ the entry taxes) CANADIAN for the week, including flight. I saw a trip to the hotel I stayed in for that price. I almost booked it. Frickin exams... Check out www.selloffvacations.com if you're interested.

Last Minute was selling Boca Chica for this weekend for CDN$ 439 - even if it was the Dominican Bay or Don Juan that's cheap. (US$335) Non stop flight and AI hotel. I'd maybe pay the $439 if I didn't have to actually fly on a charter to have a place to go eat and drink for a week. Too bad they don't sell the package hotel part for say $239. For a bar and restaurant that is OK.

NB: The taxes areally are not "entry" taxes, which are still only US$10 for a tourist card - they are the ridiculous sales, GST (federal sales tax) and security fees here that are head and shoulders more than on US flights.

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Last Minute was selling Boca Chica for this weekend for CDN$ 439 - even if it was the Dominican Bay or Don Juan that's cheap. (US$335) Non stop flight and AI hotel. I'd maybe pay the $439 if I didn't have to actually fly on a charter to have a place to go eat and drink for a week. Too bad they don't sell the package hotel part for say $239. For a bar and restaurant that is OK.

NB: The taxes areally are not "entry" taxes, which are still only US$10 for a tourist card - they are the ridiculous sales, GST (federal sales tax) and security fees here that are head and shoulders more than on US flights.

Really, I didn't know that. Thanks!

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
nyc11,
If it is your first time there as I am an experience Boca Chica traveler, I think I have been there 6 times, it is hard to keep track I have traveled so much to the DR in the last two years, it is hard to find a young crowd in BC. North Americans are the minority there: there are more Italian, German, and other European tourists than North American. I never run into more than a few North American Tourists a day, and rarely in your and my age range, I just turned 27.

Personally, I can't stand BC for more than a few days, it gets old and I go for the beach and then head for the capital or to spend time with my son in the north. There is no real nightlife and the hottest spot is Cosmos Disco and all girls that come in there are hookers, it is how they make their living. There are normal girls but most of them work at the banks, etc but wouldn't be caught dead on Duarte St because there are about 50 girls working Duarte St, either in the street or hanging in various bars there. Usually about 20-30 hookers at Cosmos Disco after 11pm. If you want younger North Americans, better parties, more local girls to try to pick up, etc I would choose the North Coast. Santo Domingo is the happening city about 40 minutes from Boca Chica but it usually helps to have a Dominican friend show you around so that you don't waste a lot of time, it is a huge city about 3 million people. It took me a few trips to Santo Domingo to find the good nightlife but intermediate Spanish is recommended which I have really had to work on, I thought 3 years in high school and 2 semesters in college and I would be able to communicate great but I was mistaken. I have really had to study on my own quite a bit in the last few years and still make mistakes, but usually minor ones now, forgetting to use the proper verb tense, etc.

Most N.Americans go to the North Coast and Cabarete would be the town for young people who like to party and have fun. Go to Cabarete, I think you should stay there and Sosua is only a short distance away and you can check that little town out as well, and choose for yourselves. People's tastes are different.

Now for nycVU,
Didn't mean to jump on you on the other thread, and including comments to you about another similar thread, but they change waitresses/bar tenders at Isla Bonita regularly, I have been with a couple of them myself at Isla Bonita and have photos that I don't share with anyone because I keep my word, and have also seen a few of them working Duarte in the evening or negotiating with customers who want to meet them later:) Most girls in BC if they say they aren't a hooker, just wait until the morning, then the sob stories start about how they need money for their kid's, medicine, and groceries, etc and if you pay nothing (a tip) you will see a very pissed off lady and she will tell all her puta friends what you did, and within a day or two, no puta or girl claiming not to be a puta:) will have anything to do with you. You don't have to believe me but that is very true. Only in BC do I have to pay for play about 95 percent of the time, elsewhere in the DR I work my charm not counting drinks and a generous taxi fare in the morning. Actually I hate paying for play because I am in overall good shape, not ugly, and a nice guy and have no problems in the clubs/bars in the US. Heck, I think I should be compensated monetarily:)

nyc11

Apr 6, 2004
I think You guys help me make my mind. Boca Chica is out. Now for Cabarete and Sosua, which has a better night life. Should I stay in Sosua and travel to Cabarete for a night or should I stay in Cabarete and travel to Sosua for a night. What are the good clubs/bars to go to in both places.

dale7 said:
nyc11,
If it is your first time there as I am an experience Boca Chica traveler, I think I have been there 6 times, it is hard to keep track I have traveled so much to the DR in the last two years, it is hard to find a young crowd in BC. North Americans are the minority there: there are more Italian, German, and other European tourists than North American. I never run into more than a few North American Tourists a day, and rarely in your and my age range, I just turned 27.

Personally, I can't stand BC for more than a few days, it gets old and I go for the beach and then head for the capital or to spend time with my son in the north. There is no real nightlife and the hottest spot is Cosmos Disco and all girls that come in there are hookers, it is how they make their living. There are normal girls but most of them work at the banks, etc but wouldn't be caught dead on Duarte St because there are about 50 girls working Duarte St, either in the street or hanging in various bars there. Usually about 20-30 hookers at Cosmos Disco after 11pm. If you want younger North Americans, better parties, more local girls to try to pick up, etc I would choose the North Coast. Santo Domingo is the happening city about 40 minutes from Boca Chica but it usually helps to have a Dominican friend show you around so that you don't waste a lot of time, it is a huge city about 3 million people. It took me a few trips to Santo Domingo to find the good nightlife but intermediate Spanish is recommended which I have really had to work on, I thought 3 years in high school and 2 semesters in college and I would be able to communicate great but I was mistaken. I have really had to study on my own quite a bit in the last few years and still make mistakes, but usually minor ones now, forgetting to use the proper verb tense, etc.

Most N.Americans go to the North Coast and Cabarete would be the town for young people who like to party and have fun. Go to Cabarete, I think you should stay there and Sosua is only a short distance away and you can check that little town out as well, and choose for yourselves. People's tastes are different.

Now for nycVU,
Didn't mean to jump on you on the other thread, and including comments to you about another similar thread, but they change waitresses/bar tenders at Isla Bonita regularly, I have been with a couple of them myself at Isla Bonita and have photos that I don't share with anyone because I keep my word, and have also seen a few of them working Duarte in the evening or negotiating with customers who want to meet them later:) Most girls in BC if they say they aren't a hooker, just wait until the morning, then the sob stories start about how they need money for their kid's, medicine, and groceries, etc and if you pay nothing (a tip) you will see a very pissed off lady and she will tell all her puta friends what you did, and within a day or two, no puta or girl claiming not to be a puta:) will have anything to do with you. You don't have to believe me but that is very true. Only in BC do I have to pay for play about 95 percent of the time, elsewhere in the DR I work my charm not counting drinks and a generous taxi fare in the morning. Actually I hate paying for play because I am in overall good shape, not ugly, and a nice guy and have no problems in the clubs/bars in the US. Heck, I think I should be compensated monetarily:)

tigre72

May 6, 2003
Go to Cabarete

Loads of bars in a line on the beach. Young people having fun. Good night life.
There are places to stay away from the beach if you don't like night noise.
Best bar from about 11pm is Onno's or LAX. Before that Bamboo I think. There are so many good places to eat on the beach as well. Are you looking for AI or self catering?

nycVu

Mar 30, 2004
Dale7 - Hey, I feel you on the "I should be compensated" tip... LOL! That's for real... Here in NYC I'm not in any mad dash for the alter, so I date frequently and trust me, NYC has no shortage of beautiful women (plenty of Dominicans, by the way). In fact, I was shopping yesterday (a serious NYC activity if ever there was one) and the salesgirl (Dominican and phat in all the right places) gave me her number while complimenting me on the fit of my soon-to-be purchased jeans. She called her co-workers over and they giggled with comments in Spanish... I'm calling her tonight!

My point? :rolleyes: DR is not my only option for women... I like their attitudes more than anything. No BS. They have this warmth about them that's quite comforting to me.

Anyrate, your advice, at least from my experience, was right on. Where are you, BTW? Canada or NYC?

NYC11:

I hope that our comments haven't thoroughly turned you off BC. I think it's someplace you should see at least once and make your own determination. The only reason I'm doing Sosua this time around is for the novelty. And I'm still gonna take a side trip on that Carribe bus down to BC to say hello to a few chicas that I talk to now (via a translator :confused:).

I'm afraid it's not as bad as I and some others may have made it out to be... For instance, did you know BC has the largest reef-protected beach in the Caribbean? Its gorgeous, calm, blue/green waters are no deeper than a few feet.

Italy Italy Restaurant on Calle Duarte was my favorite dining destination. The lobster (that I picked from the tank) was very tasty... Neptune's Restaurant (no relation to the 2 hottest dudes in music - Pharrell and Chad) :cool: is a second choice for seafood, although there was this smell when I was there...

Bottom line? Even if you don't stay in BC, I think you should visit, if only to say you drank a cold Presidente on the beach while getting a $6.00 massage. Ahh, the good life!

Regardless, hope your first trip down is as wonderful as mine was...

Peace.

dale7 said:
nyc11,

Now for nycVU,