For the ones who don't live in DR: what do you miss?

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I'm living in Scandinavia for almost 1 year. I'm here as a student. The things i miss the most, aside from my parents and friends, are concon con habichuela roja (here's only teflon pans so no concon :( ), bollitos y arepitas de yuca, speaking "dominican" (don't get me wrong, but here i
haven't met any dominican and i speak with cubans, mexicans and southamericans) and the temperature (yet it's beginning to be warm here).

mariel

Last edited:

mami

Mar 16, 2004
mariel said:
I'm living in Scandinavia for almost 1 year. I'm here as a student. The things i miss the most, aside from my parents and friends, are concon con habichuela roja (here's only teflon pans so no concon :( ), bollitos y arepitas de yuca, speaking "dominican" (don't get me wrong, but here i
haven't met any dominican and i speak with cubans, mexicans and southamericans) and the temperature (yet it's beginning to be warm here).

mariel

i miss the weather, the water, the hospitality of the people and the word CONCON. my boyfriend is dominican and uses that word i'm puertorican we use pegao.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Whats with all these stupid meaningless boring threads? Can't you all think of something more exciting to talk about? I mean come on we just had a huge thread about "what you really hate most about DR" then what you like about DR" and now this. When is this crap going to end? DR1 has become so boring that my poor laptop freezes from time to time.
Now lets talk about semana santa in DR. That is the hottest thing on everyone's mind hereat the moment.
Regards,
AZB

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
AZB said:
Whats with all these stupid meaningless boring threads? Can't you all think of something more exciting to talk about? I mean come on we just had a huge thread about "what you really hate most about DR" then what you like about DR" and now this. When is this crap going to end? DR1 has become so boring that my poor laptop freezes from time to time.
Now lets talk about semana santa in DR. That is the hottest thing on everyone's mind hereat the moment. Regards, AZB
Aftab, you crack me up buddy. Thanks, I needed the laugh. Hey, I keep trying to liven things up but people have given up beating up on CCcccc and jump all over me so Rob deletes the thraeds almost before the fun begins.

OK. I have an idea. I'll start one for you ...

Tom aka XR Isn't it scary how doctors call their work 'practice'?

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
I miss all the fritura, the females, not having any responsibilities, taking advantage of the exchange rate, learning about my family's culture, and having people buy me drinks just for making good conversation with them. I used to hate beer, but I'm not one to turn down free alcohol so Presidentes are A OK in my book now.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Semana Santa

OK, I'll miss eating habichuelas con dulce, i tried to bribe my housekeeper to make some but she said she doesn't have the recipe.

I miss partying the entire week, drinking presidentes at the beach. Oh, I can't stand it, I wish I were there.

Helson

Mar 10, 2004
I miss the "real" Presidentes, the tigueres from the barrios, and most of all, my novias.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Helson said:
I miss the "real" Presidentes, the tigueres from the barrios, and most of all, my novias.

Don't worry, your novias are well taken care of by the local tigres.

Helson

Mar 10, 2004
Not worrying, plenty more where those came from !!!!
In all seriousness, its a relief to know my novias are in good hands.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Helson said:
Not worrying, plenty more where those came from !!!!
In all seriousness, its a relief to know my novias are in good hands.
To be sure, mulitple pairs of 'good' hands.

Among other body parts. :ermm:

Tom aka XR Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Currently I'm in Connecticut on my last leg of College at Uconn, i;m getting my master in Economics. By the way, we have kick a** in college basketball here in the State. Both men and women teams won the national college titles. Go Huskies!!! Anyways, what I miss about the DR is the DR it self. The U.S. looks and feels nothing like the DR. At least I'm an hour and 3/4 away from NYC, where there is a dominican presence large enough to feel like in Santo Domingo, especially in upper Manahattan. In fact, one can fool one's self into thinking that you are in Santo Domingo, if only the temperature was not below zero. Thank God I'm graduating in three weeks, and Santo Domingo here I come!!!!!!!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Nal0whs said:
Currently I'm in Connecticut on my last leg of College at Uconn, i;m getting my master in Economics. By the way, we have kick a** in college basketball here in the State. Both men and women teams won the national college titles. Go Huskies!!! Anyways, what I miss about the DR is the DR it self. The U.S. looks and feels nothing like the DR. At least I'm an hour and 3/4 away from NYC, where there is a dominican presence large enough to feel like in Santo Domingo, especially in upper Manahattan. In fact, one can fool one's self into thinking that you are in Santo Domingo, if only the temperature was not below zero. Thank God I'm graduating in three weeks, and Santo Domingo here I come!!!!!!!
I wish you well. I envy you having a home to come 'home' to. Spent way too much time away, myself, I guess. I do plan on building a fireplace. But it's only because I get a chill now at 70F.

Take care, good luck.

Tom aka XR Why don't you ever see the headline 'Psychic Wins Lottery'?

Nal0whs said:
I miss the food, the pool (although we have one in my apt. complex which is closed half of the year :eek:gre: ) , the people, the food, the cassava bread :D, El Centro Espanol, etc.
Virginia

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
Nal0whs said:

Wao, is good to see that people is returning home after getting their masters. I'm also in the US studying a Master Degree in Industrial Engineering at Georgia Tech (we lost the college basketball game to your uni., but was one hell of a season at least) and planning also to go back, 4 months more and I get my master and off I go back to Santo Domingo. What I miss? is better to ask me what I don't miss. Is Semana Santa and it didn't feel like it, on Viernes Santo I had 2 midterms, the worst Viernes Santo ever in my life. I miss the attitude of the people, so lay back, I miss my mom cooking, habichuelas con dulce, dulce de coco tierno from Ban?. (And I was just in DR 1 month ago for Spring Break). I miss so many things. Here in the US I have to take care of so many things and in DR I'm such a spoiled girl that just have lots of fun.

One thing that I really, really miss is the Hair Salon I used to go. Is impossible to find a cheap hair salon here in Atlanta but not only that, the hard part is to find one that knows how to treat my hair :( .

Ahhh, 4 more months and then probably after a month in DR I will start missing the US. Life is like that ;)

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
I miss some good homemade arroz con pollo, fresh baked pan de agua, eating fruit from the trees in my backyard, having the ocean at my front door, cafe con leche for breakfast, tile floors, tin roofs, etc. etc. etc.

Johy said:
One thing that I really, really miss is the Hair Salon I used to go. Is impossible to find a cheap hair salon here in Atlanta but not only that, the hard part is to find one that knows how to treat my hair :( .

Ahhh, 4 more months and then probably after a month in DR I will start missing the US. Life is like that ;)
Me too :cry: , I go here in WA to a beauty salon where I minimum pay $25 (I have medium long hair) and although I like the products that they use on my hair it still don't come quite the way it comes in the DR.
I am going to the DR in only 9 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kunky

Oct 6, 2003
Tuesday morning here in Ontario, it's raining, damp, and I am nursing a headache I've had for 2 days because of it. I'm going to work tonite (I'm a bartender) and I know it'll be busy, chaotic, and just thinking about the DR, makes me sad, as the bartenders I've watched, move at their own speed. And, I know for myself, I'll be working 4 times faster! I miss the heat, the music I hear in the streets, and the friendliness of the locals. Life seems so unfair here. And, I have to wait another year to get there. How depressing. The one think I can count on, is the bachata music I'll be listening to all yr round, and driving my neighbours crazy with it this summer in the backyard while I sit by the pool. Too bad it's not an ocean!!