Anyone been to Fun City outside POP?

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
www.funcity-gocarts.com

It's supposedly an action park for all ages, located 2 mins from Playa Dorada and outside Sosua. Sounds similar to some of amusement parks here in the USA, but nowhere near as big. Go-Karts, Bumper Cars, Kiddieland, etc.

Thinking of taking my girl and the kids there for a few hours of fun. They've never been to it, and, for me, it would probably break up the monotony of beach life, bars, restaurants, shopping, and just sitting around drinking (again!).

Anyone have an experience wth this place? Wouldn't mind hearing it, if you'd like to share.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The go-carts are really really slow, so its only fun for younger kids, like under 12 I would say. The "Nascar" type oval is suprisingly the most fun. Otherwise its kind of lame.

The go-cart track in Punta Cana, on the other hand, is great. But thats hours away from Playa Dorada.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's a blast

Conchman said:
The go-carts are really really slow, so its only fun for younger kids, like under 12 I would say. The "Nascar" type oval is suprisingly the most fun. Otherwise its kind of lame.

The go-cart track in Punta Cana, on the other hand, is great. But thats hours away from Playa Dorada.

We've been there almost a hundred times and we ain't kids.
The karts may not be as fast as some other places, but they are plenty fast for that type of track.
As the owner got to know us, he offered to remove the governors so that we could race faster and we almost killed ourselves. The barriers are low and the speed of his karts is just right for fun and safety.
You'll have a blast.
Marco.

Dec 9, 2002
I'm not a young kid (hell, I don't think I was ever under 12 :laugh:), but I've been 2 or 3 times and had a brilliant time. The carts are great fun, maybe they aren't as fast as other places but you can still race. If you're staying at one of the Playa Dorada hotels a bus will pick you up, take you there, take you back - all for $10US including entrance fee, and you can stay as long as you like. I've never seen the place very busy, so there's no lines to wait in. It's a great change from the beach and shops.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Took my daughter and ex's 2 kids the other day. Got supercharged for a few peso propina and ripped up the track. Just bring a bunch of 10 peso notes with you for a tune up:)

Some Euro wouldn't let me pass. I turned him around and pushed him into the rail. He was still there getting pushed out when I lapped him. Should have let me pass:)

We had a ball. Kids also had a ball at the Water park yesterday.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Thanks for your responses!!!

I'm in my mid 30s, but still, and probably will always be, a kid at heart. I'll probably have a ball there, and will trip on how much fun the kids (ages 2-12) will have as well. The go-karts do not need to be too fast for the kids' safety. Now for me......there's never such thing as too fast.

I'll be staying in Cabarete, so I doubt the shuttle bus will come that far. Of course, I'll ask first. Can anyone guess-timate what a taxi van will run from Cabarete to there? Or will a gua-gua ride be sufficient? Just trying not to get taken, as I have with taxis before.

Might be a bit of an "expensive" diversion from the beach, but it would probably cost 3x as much here in the US. Plus, all will have fun, and that's priceless to me.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Taxi vs Publico

toneloc24 said:
I'll be staying in Cabarete, so I doubt the shuttle bus will come that far. Of course, I'll ask first. Can anyone guess-timate what a taxi van will run from Cabarete to there? Or will a gua-gua ride be sufficient? Just trying not to get taken, as I have with taxis before.
Taxis would charge approx. $20 US each way.
The Publico, (public car) will charge you 20 pesos (45 cents US) per person, assuming they doesn't try to overcharge you.
As Fun City is right on the highway, you will only walk a couple of hundred feet from where he drops you off to the entry gates.
Marco.