Where to buy larimar/ambar jewelry?

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Can anyone tell me where to buy good quality dominican jewelry at a fair price? On my last trip I visited one of the larimar workshops in El Conde, Sto Domingo, the Ambar Museum and some of the more upmarket boutiques in the Zona Colonial. I am always suspicious about buying in very touristy areas. Especially with stuff that I am not an expert in, I always wander if it is the real thing or just fake that they are trying to sell us tourists, and at what price? Can you bargain as hard in boutiques like Harrisons on the North Coast as in tourist shops?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Ambar Museum and the store connected with it do not sell imitation jewelry. It is the real stuff and high quality. Chances are this is where Harrisons and jewelry stores of that quality get the ambar and larimar that they sell. It is made by the people at the Ambar museum.

The people you must watch out for are the street vendors and small shops.

pati

Feb 3, 2004
I bought a beautiful larimar necklace & bracelet set for my friend at a shop at Altos de Chavon. I got a good deal on it because we knew someone who worked there. When I see the quality of some of the jewerly in some of the more common shops it would have been worth it even if I had to pay regular price to by it where it did. I also agree with Ken when he says you should not be afraid to buy from the museum.