Punta Cana Or Puerto Plata

Jeannine

Apr 9, 2004
Hi I am looking to travel to the DR this summer or fall I have been looking for different resorts in 2 different partd of the Island can someone tell me which is a nicer play and a good resort.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Puerta Plata will be a little shorter flight and maybe cheaper. The resorts are very nice and Playa Dorado has a very nice golf course. If you get out of the resort, I think you'll have more diversity in entertainment. Puerta Plata is a good size town with much entertainment. Down the road, Sosua/Cabarete are 2 very touristy towns with lots of little shops and great restaurants. Both are on the beach. There are also many touristy tours available from this area (safari, waterfalls, etc.)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Jeannine: A lot depends on your age and life style

If you are looking for some laid-back, tranquill and protected time, the Punta Cana is a good choice. Mostly couples, some families, a little older crowd.

Puerto Plata is a little bit different. It is the "gran dame" of the all-inclusives here, but its location permit you to get out and about. Like a 20 minute ride to Sosua and its beach and restaurants (Rocky's !!) or a 6 minute ride into town to see how the old colonies were...Puerto Plata is nearly 500 years old, and it has a charm ofits own.

Cabarete is a swinging town mostly for younger folks that like to party all night and surf, kitesurf or sailboard all day...tons of people looking to have fun...and its just 10 minutes past Sosua..

So take your pick..You should enjoy either of them..

HB

martino

Apr 10, 2004
I just came back from Punta Cana two weeks ago. I just got a therapist to talk to me because I've been a basket case. Got assaulted by a "Basilio", that's what his name tag said at Sunscape Punta Grand. I left the bar very drunk on my last night and He worked as security. He was suppose to take me to my room and instead he pushed another number on the elevator and we went up instead of down and the next thing I knew I was on the ground outside the elevator and he violated me. My menstrual was on and my dress is ruined and my life is topsy turvy and the Hotel has not responded to my emails. He may still work there. Dont go there. Dont get intoxicated, dont go alone.