Dominican Citizenship for Foreigners

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
It's been reported that the current government has rammed through legislation recently which provides foreigners with expedited citizenships. Does anyone know what the requirements and costs involved are?

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
citizenship

Seachange said:
It's been reported that the current government has rammed through legislation recently which provides foreigners with expedited citizenships. Does anyone know what the requirements and costs involved are?
Had it done here is las terrenas,,,$2500.,8 days...

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Because no one is doing residencies for 2,500 pesos. It simply is not possible.

It would be like someone telling you they will sell you a 2001 Honda Civic in perfect condition for 12,000. You can assume they mean USD.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Too Good To Be True

gringo in dr said:
Because no one is doing residencies for 2,500 pesos. It simply is not possible.

It would be like someone telling you they will sell you a 2001 Honda Civic in perfect condition for 12,000. You can assume they mean USD.

I agree with your logic, knowing that the usual two-step residency process costs app. $1200-$1500 (US) for each step. But the use of the word 'citizenship' rather than 'residency' led me to believe that this was could be something different (i.e., a true "dual passport" type of process, different from the 'residency' process). Should I have read 'citizenship' as 'residency' in this thread?
P.S. Of course, if the original poster responded that the amount was in pesos, then the post expressing doubt (from Lambada, suggesting an April Fool's joke) would seem to be correct.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
While anything is possible in the DR, I don't currently know of an easy way to go from a tourist to a citizen. I believe after a set time period of being a permanant resident, you can apply to be a citizen. At that point you would be a dual citizen.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Be Carefull

gringo in dr said:
While anything is possible in the DR, I don't currently know of an easy way to go from a tourist to a citizen. I believe after a set time period of being a permanant resident, you can apply to be a citizen. At that point you would be a dual citizen.

Some Countries do not allow dual citizenship (ie) Austria
The Austrian Consul told me about one Austrian person who had to forfit his Austrian Passport and the Consul could do nothing for him when he got into a jam...

I'm not sure about Canada or the US. But how would you benefit here with dual citizenship?

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
If you are a US citizen, check your passport. You can be a citizen of any other country as long as that country is in good standing with the US. In other words Cuba would not be a good choice.

With that in mind, it can't hurt to be a dual or tri citizen.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
gringo's question

gringo in dr said:
If you are a US citizen, check your passport. You can be a citizen of any other country as long as that country is in good standing with the US. In other words Cuba would not be a good choice.

With that in mind, it can't hurt to be a dual or tri citizen.

It cant hurt-but how do you benefit??

JOHN

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Another advantage to multiple nationalities is that the person can apply for scholarship programs only available to that country. There are also lots of cultural and business exchange programs for which being a Dominican opens doors.

In today's global world, I would say the more nationalities, the better.

For instance, a person who is born in the DR, had Italian grandparents, and a US parent could have three nationalities -- Dominican, US and European.

Ditto could happen to a person born in the US who has Italian grandparents, had a Dominican parent.

On the other hand, I know of a Dominican who was born in Rome and has only a Dominican passport. Italy does not recognize him as a Italian national because he neither of his parents was Italian. Everytime he travels to Italy, he gets questioned at Italian Migration as to why he is traveling on a Dominican passport. May I note that the guy could be any stereotypical gorgeous Italian by his looks!

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
Does the DR have the draft or mandatory military training for its citizens? Might be a drawback depending on your gender and age.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
dont' worry

Gregg said:
Does the DR have the draft or mandatory military training for its citizens? Might be a drawback depending on your gender and age.

Don't worry about that...it was used during Trujillo's regime and the armed forces are a 'professional' or career outfit so you can't get drafted.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
No draft or mandatory military age for Dominican citizens. That is one of the drawbacks mentioned when a Dominican seeks to register its offspring for US citizenship.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
One of the few times I have to disagree with Dolores

My daughter was born in the DR and she has both passports. However, she is NOT eligible for a Fulbright, and is currently having trouble getting the right program at FIU all because she has a US Passport...

Unless she has been screwed, the dual citizenshiip has not helped her a bit.

HB