Swimming classes for babies in Sto Domingo?

Linda de Suecia

Apr 12, 2004
Anyone knows if it exist swimming classes for babies in Sto Domingo?
We are having a baby in september and will then move to Sto Domingo. Today I went to Body Shop Athletic Club in Sto domingo and took the opportunity to ask about swimming classes for new-born babies, if starting before 6 months the babies can learn quickly as they haven't forgotten how it was to swim in the stomach.
The answer I got was that they could offer it from the age of 2 years, and they doubted that anyone would offer it as "women here are so scared that something would happen their babies, so none would sign up"

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i tried to teach my son, now two years old, at three months........i took him to the river or pool or beach everyday for months,,,,,,,he can't swim now but he has no fear of the water........and he goes nuts now if i take out his bathing suit, he knows he is going someplace wet.............he loves the water,,,,,,,,,,,,now i have to toilet train him,,,,,,,,,,train him to not play in the toilet,.........
why don't you join the club at the Dominican Fiesta Hotel instead,,,,,,,,you get to use the pool, tennis courts, etc. get discounts on food and drink blah, blah, blah,,,,,,,,,,it's quiet there, not rowdy,,,has a great kiddie pool, ,,,,,,,this way you can treat yourself nice first and bring the baby along second........
it costs 6000 pesos for a family membership, plus 1200 a month dues......roughly 125 dollars to join and 25 or so a month,,,,,,,Santo Domingo can be HOT,,,,the beach is at least a half hour away, Boca Chica to the east, or an hour to the west, Nizao or Pelenque,,,,,,,,,,and you have to spend money when you to the beach anyway,,,,,,,,this is a very good value........see you there.........i'll be the guy screaming at the 2 year old "eddie NO!"...........eom

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
linda, if you are unable to locate infant swimming lessons in SD, it is simple enough to do on your own. the real purpose of the course is to introduce the child to water so that they are comfortable in it-specifically having their face submerged. eventually over time they would be able to float and roll over unassisted. both my boys started at 9-12 months of age, and now you cannot keep them out of the water.

this book might help, you may be able to locate it on amazon.com or the barnes and noble website

Teaching Infant and Preschool Aquatics
by Austswim (Editor) ISBN: 0736032509

i just want to note that most, if not all, life-saving societies do not support lessons for infants under 6 months of age. there are 2 reasons: 1)the neck muscles are not developed sufficiently and 2)there is generally not enough fat layers on the body yet for the infant to regulate his temperature properly, even in a heated pool. hypothermia can set in very quickly.

best of luck on the new baby,
mob

Linda de Suecia

Apr 12, 2004
Thanks

Thanks for your responses,
I'll try to read more, the book you have recommended etc, to teach on my own plus that I will join the hotel instead of Body shop, if they have a warmer pool.
Yes I know they need warmer water, I have several times joined my sister here in Sweden with her two daughters and the water was indeed a lot warmer. Both of them took classes from age of about 2 months and learnt swimming so early, although living in Sweden with just three months of summer, and moving to DR this would be even more important to help me keep calm on the beach later on ;-)