Traveling to Puerto Rico

marymack

Mar 29, 2004
My husband and I are planning to visit the DR with an eye towards retirement. He is retired military, so we would also like to visit Puerto Rico because of the military bases there. I am looking for information on the different types of transportation and the cost involved.

This is a great message board, with lots of good info, both negative and positive.

Miranda

Mephs

Sep 11, 2003
marymack said:
My husband and I are planning to visit the DR with an eye towards retirement. He is retired military, so we would also like to visit Puerto Rico because of the military bases there. I am looking for information on the different types of transportation and the cost involved.

This is a great message board, with lots of good info, both negative and positive.

Miranda

Best way to travel to Puerto Rico is by plane. I've done this in the past and the difference in price was negligible because AA had routes to Dominican Republic from my hometown in US with stops in San Juan. You can also take a ferry from Santo Domingo to Mayag?ez, but the trip itself takes about 10 hours when you it takes less than 45 minutes by air. I think Ferries del Caribe is the company that manages the RD-PR ferry. Follow the link for their phone number.

BTW - A lot of military bases in PR are either closed or being closed down. If this is the main reason for going to PR you may want to reconsider.

marymack

Mar 29, 2004
Mephs said:
Best way to travel to Puerto Rico is by plane. I've done this in the past and the difference in price was negligible because AA had routes to Dominican Republic from my hometown in US with stops in San Juan. You can also take a ferry from Santo Domingo to Mayag?ez, but the trip itself takes about 10 hours when you it takes less than 45 minutes by air. I think Ferries del Caribe is the company that manages the RD-PR ferry. Follow the link for their phone number.

BTW - A lot of military bases in PR are either closed or being closed down. If this is the main reason for going to PR you may want to reconsider.

Thank you for the link, but the info is written is Spanish and my spanish is very limited.