Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Word from today's news...

Today's news has a spanish word that my trusty Franklin talking dictionary does not have the translation for...

Quote from DR1 news: "Mejia in Miami
    President Hipolito Mejia during his campaign visit to Miami affirmed that he has met all his campaign promises. “For the first time in all of Latin America a ‘jodido’ politician has fulfilled what he wrote and promised,” Mejia grandstanded"

What does ‘jodido’ translate to in this context?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

My vox dictionary reads: Bloody, f*c*k**, annoying, knackered, exhausted, f*cked up, done for, kaput, buggered, complicated.

Sounds about right

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I can only guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Coniglio
    My vox dictionary reads: Bloody, f*c*k**, annoying, knackered, exhausted, f*cked up, done for, kaput, buggered, complicated.

Sounds about right
    But "joder" means to F. So, it may mean a F'ing.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I get the same translation - but I cannot figure out the context here.... I'm sure that there is a catch somewhere in this word.

Did he really say “For the first time in all of Latin America a ‘[email protected]!NG’ politician has fulfilled what he wrote and promised,” ?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Did he really say “For the first time in all of Latin America a ‘[email protected]!NG’ politician has fulfilled what he wrote and promised,” ?[/QUOTE]

I think he meant an "overwhelmed, doomed politician"

Post Thanks / Like

It is not something a polite person would say, but in Dominican Spanish slang 'jodido' is not as crude as '[email protected]' is in English.

Chiri

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default it does mean

it does mean a "[email protected] up" politican....

Post Thanks / Like

Default LMAO when I first read that

And yes he did say that. Just goes to show you want a terribly uneducated person he is. He also said to his audience that "the hospitals in the Dominican Republic offer assistance at the same level as the hospitals in New your (City)." I wish the guy would get sick or injured and have to go to one of his public hospitals where there is nothing to assist the patients. My God! What affrontery to the Dominican people.!!
    My cry from now until the 16th of May is ˇQUE NO!

HB

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I'm laughing - I first thought I'm not reading right, or not understanding right - I actually do know the word, so, I was flabbergasted when I read the news.

I'm working with a bunch of well-educated Dominican folks today and asked what the word meant - Dead silence! - all looked at me in shock! - Then I showed the folks the news report. First, the folks were a little embarassed at what their President said. Then, when they figured out that I'm really not holding it personally against any person around me, the laughter started..... and we are still laughing. I think we'll all end up in the pub tonight and we'll all still be laughing....

ˇQUE NO!
    Last edited by Chris; 04-12-2004 at 06:01 PM.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

The President's colorful quotes in Spanish as covered in El Nacional.

http://www.elnacional.com.do/(ciausazhyypov1j4moolww55)/aspx/article.aspx?id=6572

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast