school for a 5y.o.

alisun

Apr 12, 2004
Hi, I'll be moving to either Santo Domingo or Santiago with my then 5.5 year old son. So, it will be time for his first year of school (kindergarten). I was wondering if you could tell me about the schooling system there- I'd prefer to put him in a Spanish speaking school so he can learn Spanish and hang out with Dominican kids. But I've heard that public schools are really bad. So what's a good compromise? And how much will I expect to pay? Thanks for any info
-a
btw, further info such as websites greatly appreciated

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
I would recommend you to take your son to a bilingual school. Try:
St. George School.
Carol Morgan
St. Michaels.
New Horizons.

If you are more interested in that he learns more spanish than english, try Lux Mundi, Babeque or Loyola. Anyway, FORGET ABOUT PUBLIC SHOOLS. By the way, none of this schools are cheap at all , specially the bilinguals, but if education is expensive, imagine what ignorance costs.

This a previous post from me on this subject.

First of all, before moving here, I think you should come here again and visit all the possible options (The North Coast, Santiago, Santo domingo, etc) . Find the one which you think should be better for you and your family.

However , If you want your offspring go to a collegue in the USA, I think you should live in Santo Domingo, as it has better schools. However, please note I really don`t know about the quality of the education in Santiago (Where HB, recommended the Instituto Da Vinci and the Colegio Juan XXIII of the PUCMM); nor Sosua (Where Ken recommended the International school ).

In Santo Domingo, I recommend you the following Schools:
Lux Mundi. I graduated from this school and it`s pretty good. However, it might not be the best option for you, as it focus more on Spanish than English (Although they have several levels of English, depending on the Student`s knowledge). They have a great educational level. www.luxmundi.edunexo.com.do
New Horizons. It is a bilingual school. To me, this school has the greatest level in Math, and has the most advanced technology (They offer Cisco and Microsoft certifications to their students). Also recommended by Timex and Hillbilly.
Carol Morgan School. It`s more based on English. Accredited with Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Has a great campus. www.cms.edu.do
St. George School. Another totally billingual school. Recognized by the International Baccalaureate Organization. I`m a former student of this school, and I can tell you that it`s pretty demanding as they have for example, Science in English and in Spanish, etc. Also, as a member of the IBO, all high school students leave at 4:00pm .

Other schools that I think have an adequated educational level are: Babeque, St. Michaels School, The American School of Santo Domingo, etc.

Also check this thread.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28789

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

alisun

Apr 12, 2004
schooling options

Hi, thank you for all the ideas. Just to clarify my situation a little bit, I don't have any choice but Santo Domingo or Santiago (and I'm leaning toward the former) because I'm coming for study abroad, and those are the only two places they have the program. Also, I will only be there for a year, so I am not too concerned about getting my boy into college at this point, only that he gets a chance to learn Spanish as quickly as possible to enjoy his time there better, and that he can make some friends and have some preparation for the schedule and rigors of school life. After the DR we will either go to Puerto Rico, where he can continue to use his Spanish or San Francisco, either way, he will end up in the American school system. I'm not fussed about math or science, but of course I don't want to give him the worst education his first year. I'd like to know why you say forget about public schools, and to know about the price range for the ones you mentioned. The only reason I hesitate to put him in a bilingual school is because we only have one year, and I really want him to learn Spanish (there are enough spanish speaking kids here who learn at all english schools, and seem to do so amazingly fast) and he knows a lot of english already and will have his whole life to perfect the skills, but may not have the opportunity to be living in a spanish speaking country again for a while at least...
again, thank you for your input.
-a

Sanson said:
I would recommend you to take your son to a bilingual school. Try:
St. George School.
Carol Morgan
St. Michaels.
New Horizons.

If you are more interested in that he learns more spanish than english, try Lux Mundi, Babeque or Loyola. Anyway, FORGET ABOUT PUBLIC SHOOLS. By the way, none of this schools are cheap at all , specially the bilinguals, but if education is expensive, imagine what ignorance costs.

This a previous post from me on this subject.

First of all, before moving here, I think you should come here again and visit all the possible options (The North Coast, Santiago, Santo domingo, etc) . Find the one which you think should be better for you and your family.

However , If you want your offspring go to a collegue in the USA, I think you should live in Santo Domingo, as it has better schools. However, please note I really don`t know about the quality of the education in Santiago (Where HB, recommended the Instituto Da Vinci and the Colegio Juan XXIII of the PUCMM); nor Sosua (Where Ken recommended the International school ).

In Santo Domingo, I recommend you the following Schools:
Lux Mundi. I graduated from this school and it`s pretty good. However, it might not be the best option for you, as it focus more on Spanish than English (Although they have several levels of English, depending on the Student`s knowledge). They have a great educational level. www.luxmundi.edunexo.com.do
New Horizons. It is a bilingual school. To me, this school has the greatest level in Math, and has the most advanced technology (They offer Cisco and Microsoft certifications to their students). Also recommended by Timex and Hillbilly.
Carol Morgan School. It`s more based on English. Accredited with Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Has a great campus. www.cms.edu.do
St. George School. Another totally billingual school. Recognized by the International Baccalaureate Organization. I`m a former student of this school, and I can tell you that it`s pretty demanding as they have for example, Science in English and in Spanish, etc. Also, as a member of the IBO, all high school students leave at 4:00pm .

Other schools that I think have an adequated educational level are: Babeque, St. Michaels School, The American School of Santo Domingo, etc.

Also check this thread.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28789

Hope this helps.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My 2? on this

I wonder where you are thinking of studying and just what it is you will be studying.

As far as Santo Domingo goes, all of those schools are fine. Most people miss the very best school, La Altagracia in Los Prados. It is also the least expensive. Long list to get in, however.

De la Salle School has a pretty fair program for tots.

Here in Santiago, you have pretty much the same basic options: Bi-lingual and expensive, or private, Spanish speaking and less expensive.

I have had two experiences here. One at Las Americas where my four kids were raised, and where they did a pretty good job. And currently, my grandchild is going to De la Salle where he will be going into First Grade next year. This will be his fourth year at the school: Maternal, Kindergarden, Pre-primery and next year, First Grade. He just turned six.

At 5.5 years of age, if he hasn't been to school before, Pre-Primary might be the best thing. Lots of kids his own age.

Depending on just when you are planning on getting here, you can look around at four or five places that offer schooling at that age level. The language will be easy, kids are sponges at that age! He will be translating for you by the end of the year.

?As for Puerto Rico? No thanks! It is pretty much a cesspool, except for the very well paid professionals and politicians. Old San Juan, the Golden Mile in Santurce and Hato Rey are NOT Puerto Rico...

Let me know if I may be of further asistance,

HB

alisun

Apr 12, 2004
further info?

Hi hillbilly, thanks for the info. How can I learn more about these places before going there? I ask because I won't be arriving very far in advance of the beginning of the school year, maybe just a week or two. I'll be studying at either Bono or PUCMM through CIEE, and I'm an undergrad international affairs/anthropology major. I won't be coming until fall of 2005, so I have some time. Maybe I should try to get him on a wait list now? I'm thinking a Spanish school is the way to go- he might even be in a bilingual program next year, which would give some preparation. Anyway, the most important thing to know now is how I can get some more info here in the states on Lux Mundi, De La Salle, La Altagracia, Colegio San Juan XXIII, Instituto Da Vinci and the other 3 that Sanson mentioned. I couldn't get any info. from the lux mundi website (maybe i'll write them for info...) Carol Morgan seems too expensive, and I've written to New Horizons.
But thank you for all info. It s been very helpful.
-a