Making a living here?

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
I moved here to SD in May of 2003 to start a business in telecommunications. It didn't work out, and I'm trying to decide if I should move back to the States or try to find employment here. In order to meet my obligations, I need to earn $50K/yr USD. Can anyone advise if that is realistic, or if I should start packing. Thanks in advance.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you have been in the country for almost a year, you should have been able to answer that for yourself.

timelessdreams

Apr 5, 2004
ustelephone said:
I moved here to SD in May of 2003 to start a business in telecommunications. It didn't work out, and I'm trying to decide if I should move back to the States or try to find employment here. In order to meet my obligations, I need to earn $50K/yr USD. Can anyone advise if that is realistic, or if I should start packing. Thanks in advance.

Can I inquire as to what type of telecommunications company you're talking about?

Thanks,
Susie

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
Answering Service

I have been living here for a year, as I said, in the business arena, not in the job market.

My business is answering service; call centers designed to answer for doctors, lawyers, and 24-hour companies. I owned a service in the States for 13 years and sold it in January. I moved here attempting to create the same business to service customers in the States. Dominican contractual procedures mixed with technical problems and investors pulling out put a stop to the effort.

Thanks for the replies, even if they hurt (I really don't want to go back).

T

TiberiusMineola

$1,000. / week = not realistic in the DR

Based on my experiences, 8 years in the DR, almost all in POP, it is not realistic to expect to earn $1,000. per week, nor $500. per week, in this country. I'm sure that 1 - 3 % of DRs or foreigners make that kind of $. I use the verb "earn" to distinguish earned income from returns on investments - 2 different subjects. I don't know any. If that's waht you need to survive, best to throw in the towel, & head back. "The best education is your last mistake." Ralph Nader. One man's opinion.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Have you looked into timeshare

I know of many people on this Island pulling in $1000.00 plus a week selling Timeshsre/Vacation Club Programs.....

If you have some sales background from your past you just might luck out with this Idea.

Timeshare is becoming more popular then ever with the Baby Boomers getting up there in age and have money in the bank to spend!

Also Timeshare has a better Image with the likes of Disney, Hillton and Marriot now in the game.

Timeshare is BIG $$$$$$$$$$$ on this Island with over 50% of all Hotels getting a piece of the action and more Hotels Inquiring about this cash cow every day.

A lot of the bigger Hotels provide a training program (Paid)

Good Luck

Gringo

conchita

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 14, 2004
ustelephone said:

Get out of there as fast as you can. You can always retire, and move back, or better yet, make your money in the states, and then buy an apt or a house in DR. Start packing!

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
look... all of these advises are all choices that you can make, but! the biggest question? to you is.. how do you feel living in D.R., is your stress level lower, can you live alright with a basic salary, do you live in a great neighborhood, or do you have to live Beverly Hills like or something, I believe that your answering service was and still sounds like a great idea, maybe you shouldn't give up on this just yet, there are alot of talented people in the island with telecommunication skills, and you also sound like you would know the business very well, I tell you what!... before you throw in the towel, go to a company called Supra Telecom in San Isidro,it's in the autopista free zone district, apply look around, let them know what you know, they probably can give you a high position for your experience with good pay, not 50k a yr, but to live better then the average native, also start telling people there about your answering service, maybe you can convince some to invest there time and money to start it up again, drop me an e-mail to see if you still want to get this started again, I know alot of investors in Orlando Florida.. ok I hope this help some, I'll check back to see what your responce is ...see ya

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
Thanks

Thanks to daddy1 (sent you a private msg) and everyone else who responded to my question. I appreciate this website and everyone invloved in it. Being on this island for a while has made me feel like Tom Hanks in "Castaway", and dr1 is my "Wilson".