getting from santiago to puerto plata---HELP!!!

brespencer

Apr 13, 2004
hi all-----My husband and i need some advise. we are going on our honeymoon the end of this month to the dominican republic----puerto plata, we are staying at the occidental grande flamenco. the only flights we could get in to the DR were in to Santiago. Does anyone know if there is reliable taxi service from Santiago to Puerto Plata? we do not want to rent a car, we would even take a bus! help! i've never traveled out of the US before, so i am a little nervous, i dont want to get stranded!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Call 1-809-880-4084 or 1-809-582-5112 and ask for Rocio. She lived in the US for a long time and speaks perfect english. Her boyfriend is a very reliable and trustworthy taxi driver, and they will take you wherever you need to go.

They can also take you sightseeing if you are interested. Tell Rocio that Adrian suggested you call, and that I said hello!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
You can take Caribe Tours bus from Santiago, they are air-conditioned and comfortable. I don't think they run from the airport, so you may have to take a taxi from there to the Caribe Tours bus station. Metro busses may or may not be another option, not sure if they run to Puerto Plata from Santiago besides Santo Domingo.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
The Metro Bus Station in Santiago have buses that run to Puerto Plata on a regular basis. I believe it is about 1.5 hour trip approximately and will only cost a few dollars, I know it isn't more than 200RD. Metro is similar to Caribe, so either bus would be fine. Taking a bus will save a lot of money, a cab would probably cost between 35-50US depending how good you are at negotiating.
dale7(Howard)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tours has hourly buses to Puerto Plata. It has more buses per day than does Metro.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Ken said:
Caribe Tours has hourly buses to Puerto Plata. It has more buses per day than does Metro.

So you guys recommend taking the bus on your honeymoon?? For someone who has never travelled outside the US, and is going to an AI?

And you're seriously recommending none other than Caribe Tours, the "fried chicken express". (I have *never* been on Caribe Tours without someone near me eating stinky fried chicken).

All this to save a taxi fare that is less than $40? (I've had Santiago taxis take me to the airport in POP for $20, the prices are WAY different to taxis on the coast).

Brespencer: If you want adventure, need to save US$20, and don't care about wasting time - go with Caribe Tours. If you want a relaxing trip for your honeymoon, call either my friend or another local taxi service. (eg EMI taxi in Santiago, 1-809-581-3000, although you'll need to speak spanish to that company).

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Well they were asking about a bus, but of course it would be much easier to jump in a cab and go directly from airport to hotel. I have taken taxi from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata before, and they usually charge me US$100, so $50 sounds about right from Santiago.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
It would be so much easier to take a taxi with all of your luggage, faster, less stress, etc. Adrian seems to have a reliable taxi driver who will take you to Puerto Plata for a very modest fare so I would check that out. Buses are only for barebone budgets, and with two of you would only save very little anyways and would still have to catch a taxi from Santiago to bus station, then taxi from Puerto Plata bus station to wherever you needed to go. For that much hassle saving 15us or so, just isn't worth it, it's your honeymoon:)
dale7(Howard)

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
We took the bus from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata and back again. We took another trip to Santiago from Puerto Plata, and back again. It was inexpensive and convenient. The bus station in Santiago was right across from los Jardines Metropolitanos. I remember someone delaying the bus because they went to get ice cream across the street.
Whatever you decide, you will have a great time. You may also get to know a driver in Puerto Plata while you are there.
If you have time, I recommend breakfast at Sofy's B&B. Say hi to Noelle if you go. And make sure you get to the beach at Sosua too.
Everywhere you go there will be people who would like to sell you something, or show you where something is for a tip. There will be kids to shine your shoes, and those selling something like peanut brittle. There will be a guy at the beach to rent you lounge chairs - and he'll watch them too. He'll go get drinks for you, and it's how he feeds his family. Once you agree on a price, it is still nice to give a tip. Our guy was called Lobo.
Have a good time n your honeymoon.
mk

brespencer

Apr 13, 2004
thanks!

Thank you all so much for your insight! The taxi does seem like the less stressful way to go. i didnt even know if it was easy to get from santiago to puerto plata, but it doesnt sound like its going to be a problem at all. Our flight doesnt land until 730pm or so, will that be a problem?

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
No. Did this in feb. Gonna cost you $40US for a van, maybe $5 less for a taxi.After going through immigration and getting your bags, go straight ahead to customs (about 40ft.) Go 50ft more and hang a right out the door, look for a taxi driver and make you deal. This airport is the quickest into/out of I've ever been at, a real piece of cake. Stop at a colmado (store) get a couple of drinks and sit back and enjoy the 1hr. trip to your hotel, stopping for more bevo"s as needed. ENJOY!!