Dominicans need change passports by 1 May?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The public relations department of the Department of Passports has just issued a notice indicating that as of 1 May 2004, as per a requirement of the Homeland Security Department of the United States, all Dominicans traveling with tourist visas to the United States need to acquire the new biometric passports now available at the Department of Passports. The Department of Passports says all Dominicans who plan to travel to the US after 1 May need to secure the new passport paying RD$1,175 for the new document. The persons need to apply to the Centro de los Heroes offices bringing three 2 x 2 color photos, a copy of the first page of their present passport, and a copy of the page where their visa is located. For more information call 532-7373.

While the Department of Passports says this is a Homeland Security Department requirement, I cannot find anywhere a reading on this requirement. All I find is a 26 October 2004 deadline and that is for European nationals who in the pass did not need visas now need the biometric passport to enter without the visa.

Can anyone locate information on this supposed US new requirement. Imagine the mad rush for everyone who is planning to travel to the US to get passports and the extra $ this would produce for the Mejia government.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Dolores said:
While the Department of Passports says this is a Homeland Security Department requirement, I cannot find anywhere a reading on this requirement. All I find is a 26 October 2004 deadline and that is for European nationals who in the pass did not need visas now need the biometric passport to enter without the visa.

Can anyone locate information on this supposed US new requirement. Imagine the mad rush for everyone who is planning to travel to the US to get passports and the extra $ this would produce for the Mejia government.
I think you answered your own questions. As far as I can determine, the May 1 deadline is a Hippo deadline, not a US one. It is not even clear to me that the DR need change its passports at all, but rather that the US visa put in them must be changed to include a chip with biometric information on the passport holder.... I strongly suspect, as you seem to, that this has more to do with revenue-raising and somebody getting a fat government contract to produce biometric passports, with hidden commissions going to the PPH slush fund....

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
'Nuff said - Nod, Nod, Wink, Wink!!!' The ruses this Government will go to to get some extra cash into their pockets!! What on Earth will they get up to between May17th & August if they DON'T get back in?? Frightening thoughts!! - Grahame.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Checked with the US Embassy this morning. The information that it is a Homeland Security requirement is not true, according to Bartolome Rodriguez, officer in charge of Homeland Security in Santo Domingo. The US has required that Dominican passports be machine-readable, which they have been for about five years now.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Contacted the Passport Department. They are denying the notice and have called a press conference for this morning at 10 am. A press release will be forthcoming she said. But the PR girl said that the requirement is for 26 October 2004, which is not true either. This is not true because the new passports are only required of those who do not need visas to enter the US.

Regardless, the public relations department says that travelers that have their passport current can use these until renewing these and getting the new ones.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Dolores said:
Checked with the US Embassy this morning. The information that it is a Homeland Security requirement is not true, according to Bartolome Rodriguez, officer in charge of Homeland Security in Santo Domingo. The US has required that Dominican passports be machine-readable, which they have been for about five years now.
Question becomes, then, will the US Embassy call the DR Government out on this publicly, so that everyone can see it clearly for the sham/scam that it is?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
On the positive side, this shows the power of emails. When we received this email from a very influential person who sent it in good faith, we expressed our serious doubts regarding its veracity -- the part that Homeland Security was requiring this. Let's wait and see what was said at the press conference.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Also interesting

that European non machine-readable passports have been allowed into US & will be until Sept. when Europeans also have to have electronic fingerprint & photo at point of entry. About time Europeans had to go through same checks as Dominicans.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The deadline for Europeans is 26 October 2004. And that is only to allow them in without visas. Without the new biometric passports, Europeans will need visas. Interesting to see if these new passports are being issued in the DR.

Regardless, the director of the Department of Passports, Elias Wessin Chavez clarified that the email notice is not true. He said that Dominicans will be able to travel to the US using their present machine-readable passports as long as these have not expired.

Dominicans are required to get visas to travel to the US, so the requirement in effect for the Europeans does not go for Dominicans.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
According to the Brit. Consular Office in Puerto Plata, the Embassy in Santo Domingo is now issuing the biometric ones (still think I'll renew in UK though, very much cheaper!)

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
so i'm a bit confused

i'm a dominican national and i have dominican passport. i live in scandinavia and have temporary residency permit. i'm not interested in travelling to US as of now and i'm coming to DR for vacation this june. do i have to change my passport? :confused: