Anybody know of a good Aparta-Hotel in PP?

Steve

Mar 30, 2004
Can anyone recommend a good small hotel in Puerto Plata for overnight trips? Something nicer than Sonshine or El Condado?

Thanks

Steve

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
Try "El Castillo Ambar". It's small clean and comfortable less than $20US per night. We stayed in October for a weekend and had a very nice time.
Minni

phone numbers 809-261-4803 fax 809-261-2315.

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
There's also Puerto Plata Beach Resort apartments (RD $800 per night), ApartHotel Lomar (RD $600 per night) & MonteSylva (RD $700 p.n double RD $600 single). ALL are per room, NOT per person. The three above are nearer the beach than Castillo del Ambar, & the first two have bigger rooms, bur other than that it is your choice as to area/convenience etc!! - Grahame.

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
BushBaby said:
There's also Puerto Plata Beach Resort apartments (RD $800 per night), ApartHotel Lomar (RD $600 per night) & MonteSylva (RD $700 p.n double RD $600 single). ALL are per room, NOT per person. The three above are nearer the beach than Castillo del Ambar, & the first two have bigger rooms, bur other than that it is your choice as to area/convenience etc!! - Grahame.

Where are these hotels located? In Playa Dorada complex or close by? I would be interested in these for future trips however would prefer the ones closest to the beach.

Thanks

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
These hotels are NOT in the Playa Dorada complex, they are on the lower outskirts of Puerto Plata itself! PoP Beach resort Apartments is on the eastern end of the Malecon (Seafront road) & ApertHotel Lomar is about 400 meters nearer to town (also on the Malecon). MonteSylva is behind the PoP Beach resort apartments & has a slightly longer walk to the beach. - Grahame.

carsey700

Dec 5, 2003
BushBaby said:
These hotels are NOT in the Playa Dorada complex, they are on the lower outskirts of Puerto Plata itself! PoP Beach resort Apartments is on the eastern end of the Malecon (Seafront road) & ApertHotel Lomar is about 400 meters nearer to town (also on the Malecon). MonteSylva is behind the PoP Beach resort apartments & has a slightly longer walk to the beach. - Grahame.
Hi Grahame,
As You are the resident P.O.P expert , maybe You could help Me out!
Having stayed at the POP beach resort (actually 1 week before it closed)
and having enjoyed it very much and with an eye to planning for next year
with a stay of 1 month instead of two weeks as has been the case , I would like to know if they have reinstalled the kitchen facility's back into the rooms,
and also if they are maintaining the small beach across the Malecon as Long
Beach was filthy last time We were there (bottles, garbage, etc.).
Could I also ask You for there telephone # and If you could give Me the name of someone at reception who speaks decent English it would be appreciated. Oh just curious ? is the restaurante still open across the Malecon on the beach? nice people, great pizza, cold beer.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, they (the restaurant) are open...their menu board says Friday nights after 7 pm they have a special on beer!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
carsey700 said:
Hi Grahame,
As You are the resident P.O.P expert , maybe You could help Me out!
Having stayed at the POP beach resort (actually 1 week before it closed)
and having enjoyed it very much and with an eye to planning for next year
with a stay of 1 month instead of two weeks as has been the case , I would like to know if they have reinstalled the kitchen facility's back into the rooms,
and also if they are maintaining the small beach across the Malecon as Long
Beach was filthy last time We were there (bottles, garbage, etc.).
Could I also ask You for there telephone # and If you could give Me the name of someone at reception who speaks decent English it would be appreciated. Oh just curious ? is the restaurante still open across the Malecon on the beach? nice people, great pizza, cold beer.

Hmmmmm - Expert?? Not sure I like that ...... Ex meaning 'Old' & spurt meaning 'Drip under pressure'!!! Ah well, Maybe you are right after all!!!!

YES the kitchen facilities ARE available for those I book into the apartments - I make SURE of it!! Try to get yourself booked into block 16 (right across from the reception area)!!

NO, the beach is NOT being maintained by the apartment staff - it is a lot less clean than it used to be 3 years ago because the seaweed is no longer raked every 3 or 4 hours! However, it was not FILTHY as indicated by others who have written on this board some time ago!!

Tel. No of PoP Beach Resort apartments is 586 4243 & ask for Merrien (or Melian - never can get his name right) or Miguel. Both speak English & if you mention my name, you should not get the run round because they know I will be jumpimng on them if they do!!

Yes, (as indicated by Nelly) the cafe/restaurant Cosita Rica IS still open & they still produce decent pizzas etc. Neptuno retaurant (which used to be part of the hotel) is closed unfortunately, but everything else is pretty much the same. Candy (the girl who sells the jewellery from her breif case) still haunts the area & will be delighted to see you - Or ANYONE!@!!! Tell her I said to keep the prices even lower to you as I will be checking what she sells you & for how much!!!!

PM or e-mail me if you want anything else or a room booking. - Grahame.