Buying outside of Santo Domingo

ace

Apr 11, 2004
I visted the DR last month and stayed in Boco Chica at the Hilton.I had a great trip. I will be going back sometime in September to look at property.I am interested in a condo or small villa somewhere within a 30 minute drive into Santo Domingo.I have been reading the threats on this site for months and thank everyone for their feed back.I was wondering if anyone could suggest a realtor in the Santo Domingo area.I have looked on the internet and all the places for sale are up north. During my visit I did look at Guavaberry Golf Club and liked it.I looked at a condo they were building , the price was us$120,000.00 and that is the max I'm willing to spend.I had a bit of a language problem with the woman showing the property and most of the info was in Spanish.It also looked liked they started building in some areas and then ran out of money .The golf pro said they have big plans to build a shopping center and a school . It's my understanding the Dr is going to be the #1 place to visit in the Caribbean in the not to distant future.Can anyone suggest a realtor or some property for sale. I love golf and the beach and I'm not sure I'll get both for what I have to spend.But I think this is the time to start looking.Thank you for your suggestions.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Its unfortunate but true here - believe nothing of what people tell you. Particularly these comments are a concern:

"The golf pro said they have big plans to build a shopping center and a school . It's my understanding the Dr is going to be the #1 place to visit in the Caribbean in the not to distant future."

When, you should only believe what you see:

"It also looked liked they started building in some areas and then ran out of money ."

I don't know the area you're talking about, and hopefully what you're describe will be completed. But will you still be happy with your purchase if in 5 years time everything is still in the same state it is today?

You can make it here. But be careful about being fleeced, because your initial message really sounds like you're a target.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, there is something she said that is true...

The Dominican Republic is going to reach a level of tourism never before seen on the island or the entire Caribbean for that matter. The all-inclusives was the first step, and they have done a fabulous job. Now, rich folks are being attracted to the island, and not only to Casa de Campo. It wont be long when the DR will be in the minds of every person thinking of Paradise in Europe or America, not just the bargain hunters. In fact, I'll be surprise if bargain hunters will survive the onslaught of the rich. Maybe Haiti will benefit from this by attracting the bargain hunters the DR will lose? Who knows, but the DR is going to experience a boom in the next decade. Economies around the world are starting to gear up and peopl are starting to spend. Hilton is now in the DR, Kohler is now investing in the DR, Cap Cana is the next big thing, many of the latest all-inclusives (like Secrets and Sun Village) target the upper classes. Things are going to change big time when it comes to the DR and tourism. Buy your properties now, you'll be thanking yourself later.

backinthedr

Apr 10, 2004
D.r. Properties

WORD OUT IS CAP CANA IS ONE OF THE HOTTEST PROPERTIES IN THE TOTAL "MUNDO" AND THE ONE ON THE OTHER SIDE OWNED BY DE LA RENTA, JULIO, AND FRANK R. IS RIGHT UP THERE AS WELL...VIEWED BOTH THESE PROPERTIES SEVERAL MONTHS AGO AND BY GEORGE,..I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT!!! The D.R. is gonna be HOT..HOT..HOT!!!
LETS HOPE SOME OF THIS MONEY WILL SOON HELP SOME OF THOSE LITTLE BELLIES THAT ARE HUNGRY TONIGHT!!

abe

Jan 2, 2002
How solid are sales in Cap Cana? and.....

I have not been monitoring the board regularly, but if anyone has real info on how Cap Cana is really doing--signed contracts with real money versus "reservations" for show--I would be interested.

Re: Kohler and Playa Grande There is no question that this purchase lends enormous credibility to the North Coast in particular and DR in general. Now there are the usual questions of what will happen to our secret affordable paradise? These are real questions and represent the eternal tension between resort development and "let's keep it all the same." I have no answers to this, by the way.

A Puerto Rican governor once said that he did not want to preside over " a nation of waiters"--lucking the DR is a very diverse place with several economic bases. Good luck!

backinthedr

Apr 10, 2004
lets see.....

Apparently all the people with "reservations" are being flown in at the developers expense on June 15th, at that time they can exercise their right to purchase..or not...its done in a lottery fashion, and they have a short period of time when their number is called to say yeah or neigh...this their 4th phase of selling in the same fashion....Stewart Title handles the funds therafter.....it is an awesome project...and virtually in the hands of U.S. interests....its gonna happen..........................slow but sure....

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
to ace

ace said:
I visted the DR last month and stayed in Boco Chica at the Hilton.I had a great trip. I will be going back sometime in September to look at property.I am interested in a condo or small villa somewhere within a 30 minute drive into Santo Domingo.I have been reading the threats on this site for months and thank everyone for their feed back.I was wondering if anyone could suggest a realtor in the Santo Domingo area.I have looked on the internet and all the places for sale are up north. During my visit I did look at Guavaberry Golf Club and liked it.I looked at a condo they were building , the price was us$120,000.00 and that is the max I'm willing to spend.I had a bit of a language problem with the woman showing the property and most of the info was in Spanish.It also looked liked they started building in some areas and then ran out of money .The golf pro said they have big plans to build a shopping center and a school . It's my understanding the Dr is going to be the #1 place to visit in the Caribbean in the not to distant future.Can anyone suggest a realtor or some property for sale. I love golf and the beach and I'm not sure I'll get both for what I have to spend.But I think this is the time to start looking.Thank you for your suggestions.
ACE...ONLY LOOK AT FINISHED AND FUNCTIONING ESTABLISHED PROPERTIES...AND HAVE LOCAL, DEPENDABLE PERSONS ADVISE YOU IF YOU CAN FIND THEM....GOOD LUCK!