Been to Playa Dorada lately?

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I was wondering if anyone has recently been to Playa Dorada and noticed if anyone construction work was still going off near the Occidental Grand Flamenco Beach Hotel.

We were thinking off going in early June but heard about work both in the hotel and on the beach near the hotel, this was December time though.

Anybody know the latest?

spike00lee

Jun 29, 2003
I was there last week. Actually walked around there and was looking at the buildings. They looked pretty nice and was thinking about staying there in the future. I did not notice any construction, but I was not really looking that hard. So, it is possible, but all seemed well to me.

tired_boy said:
I was wondering if anyone has recently been to Playa Dorada and noticed if anyone construction work was still going off near the Occidental Grand Flamenco Beach Hotel.

We were thinking off going in early June but heard about work both in the hotel and on the beach near the hotel, this was December time though.

Anybody know the latest?

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Was there about 3/4 weeks ago...

tired_boy said:

Anybody know the latest?

There was definitely some construction going on at one of the hotels but I don't know which one it was. It was near the Playa Dorada Plaza (it was somwhere between Jack Tar and the Playa Dorada Plaza, actually closer to the Plaza). There was a whole building near the road that looked like it will eventually be 3 or 4 stories of rooms and it is nowhere near completion but again I don't know for sure which hotel it was. There was a big sign out the front (on the road side) that said it was under construction. Sorry I can't be more specific.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
In between Playa Dorada and Costa Dorado will be El Pueblito. It is a commercial center for restaurants/bars/retailers/service people only i.e. not lodging. I believe construction will start very soon (met with one of the hotels two weeks ago and they were getting ready).

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
I was there in February. Not sure if it's the right hotel, but there was some big-time construction going on facing the beach at a hotel between the Plaza and the Fun Royale's beach club area.

Tom

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Fiesta Mama said:
There was definitely some construction going on at one of the hotels but I don't know which one it was. It was near the Playa Dorada Plaza (it was somwhere between Jack Tar and the Playa Dorada Plaza, actually closer to the Plaza). There was a whole building near the road that looked like it will eventually be 3 or 4 stories of rooms and it is nowhere near completion but again I don't know for sure which hotel it was. There was a big sign out the front (on the road side) that said it was under construction. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Hi there, did you walk along the beach and see this? If you did i wondered which side it it was on. The beach stretches from along from Jack Tar to a head, round a corner, and down the other side (first hotel being Gran Ventana then Villas Doradas, then the Flamenco, Gran Playa Dorada etc etc). Was the construction work going off on the Jack Tar side of the beach or round the point and on the other side? And it was far from finished?

Thanks for all your help!

Dec 9, 2002
Fiesta Mama said:
It was near the Playa Dorada Plaza (it was somwhere between Jack Tar and the Playa Dorada Plaza, actually closer to the Plaza). There was a whole building near the road that looked like it will eventually be 3 or 4 stories of rooms and it is nowhere near completion but again I don't know for sure which hotel it was. There was a big sign out the front (on the road side) that said it was under construction.
I think you will find the one you are thinking of is Heavens Hotel - it's been like that for at least 18 months, maybe 2 years!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Was there in February and March. The construction is for a small deluxe non- all-inclusive hotel, the first in Playa Dorada, scheduled to open latter this year. The construction seemed far advanced. Looked like it could be opening any week now. It is property of the owners of the Gran Ventana and Victoria Hotels of Playa Dorada. Aside from noting the hotel when driving to the entrance of the Flamenco you will not notice the construction otherwise. Was in the beach area and all throughout the hotel and you may trust that your stay will not be bothered in any way with the construction.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Excellent.

Thankyou very much Dolores. I am a little confused by the comment earlier that said it was "nowhere near completion", but i feel a lot better now.

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
tired boy,

I was staying at the Fun Royale. Their "beach club" area is at the far eastern edge of Playa Dorada. I walked west towards the Plaza, but not as far as the point, to walk past the hotel under construction.

Tom

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Thanks tom, i know where you mean. Thats where i had heard the construction work was. Did you think it was way off being ready? Dolores says it was in the later stages.

Thanks for all your help!

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Not to get off topic....

Posted by Dolores
Code:
The construction is for a small deluxe non- all-inclusive hotel, the first in Playa Dorada, scheduled to open latter this year.
I remember when I worked at Puerto Plata Village, wristbands were non-existent and you could go anywhere on the beach and have a drink at any given hotels' beach bar, I used to go and check out all the different stage shows etc. You had free roam of any hotel, it was great !!
Now, is this new hotel going to have a resort feel with discos, restaurants etc and will Dominicans be able to use the facilities like any other non-AI outside of Playa Dorada. Could be interesting to see how the security issues will be handled if anyone can use the resort, being in a location where it is so strictly regimented.
Marlie

Last edited:

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
I didn't really notice how far along they were, but to me it looked more like an almost-completed reno, not new construction.

Tom