Taking a trip to DR

angeleyes

Apr 15, 2004
Hi,
I'm trying to find out anyone who has visited the Dominican Republic recently. I am interested in going to Santiao, Santo Domingo and Punta Cana. Can anyone provide any insight in what I might be able to do while there. I am staying at a resort in Juan Dolio and want to get out and experience the culture. I will be visiting in July. Thanks.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Dominican Republic is a big island. To see its different destinations at a relatively fast pace would take you at least 15 days, moreso a month. Juan Dolio is on the southeast coast, halfway between La Romana and Santo Domingo (capital city). Juan Dolio is about three hours from Punta Cana that is on the east coast. Santiago is an hour and a half from Santo Domingo (main attraction right now is the Centro Le?n). Then you have all the places of the north coast.

For what to see in each, start with http://dr1.com/travel/index.shtml

If you will be based in Juan Dolio, you will need to have to leave very early to get to Punta Cana (which is not a place to see local culture as it is a bunch of hotel resorts and great beach extensions) and back before night time. But on the way, you can drive through La Romana town and also see the attractions of Chavon and Marina Casa de Campo.

Ditto for getting to Santiago, which from Juan Dolio will be at least a three hour drive.

Santo Domingo makes more sense as it is less than 40 minutes away.

If you like to get around, would recommend you be flexible in your hotel reservations, making a route and then staying two or three nights at each place as you make your way around the country.

If you don't have all that time, then my recommendation would be to stick to visiting Boca Chica, La Romana (Bayahibe, too) and Santo Domingo, using Juan Dolio as base.

Next year come back and do the north coast, including a trip to Santiago.

Last edited:

angeleyes

Apr 15, 2004
Dolores said:
The Dominican Republic is a big island. To see its different destinations at a relatively fast pace would take you at least 15 days, moreso a month. Juan Dolio is on the southeast coast, halfway between La Romana and Santo Domingo (capital city). Juan Dolio is about three hours from Punta Cana that is on the east coast. Santiago is an hour and a half from Santo Domingo (main attraction right now is the Centro Le?n). Then you have all the places of the north coast.

For what to see in each, start with http://dr1.com/travel/index.shtml

If you will be based in Juan Dolio, you will need to have to leave very early to get in Punta Cana (which is not a place to see local culture as it is a bunch of hotel resorts and great beach extensions). But on the way, you can drive through La Romana town and also see the attractions of Chavon and Marina Casa de Campo.

Ditto for getting to Santiago, which from Juan Dolio will be at least a three hour drive.

Santo Domingo makes more sense as it is less than 40 minutes away.

If you like to get around, would recommend you be flexible in your hotel reservations, making a route and then staying two or three nights at each place as you make your way around the country.

If you don't have all that time, then my recommendation would be to stick to visiting Boca Chica, La Romana (Bayahibe, too) and Santo Domingo, using Juan Dolio as base.

Next year come back and do the north coast, including a trip to Santiago.

Thanks for the info, I will definately look into it.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
You may also want to check out San Pedro. It is a quaint little town with some good night life and the only McDonalds untill you get to SD. You can learn a few things about Dominican culture here.

Charlie

angeleyes said:
Hi,
I'm trying to find out anyone who has visited the Dominican Republic recently. I am interested in going to Santiao, Santo Domingo and Punta Cana. Can anyone provide any insight in what I might be able to do while there. I am staying at a resort in Juan Dolio and want to get out and experience the culture. I will be visiting in July. Thanks.

WendyS

Mar 5, 2004
Boca chica..did not like it

Just came back from the dominican republic...flew into Punta cana and stayed the first week in Samana Punta Bonita....and the last few days in Boca chica..

Boca chica was very busy on the beach which was nice but at far as sightseeing and nightlife...boca chica did not have a lot to offer
apart from older men enjoying the "company" of younger dominican girls....

I guess I fell in love with Las Terrenas, Samana! :p

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
No to San Pedro

chuckuindy said:
You may also want to check out San Pedro. It is a quaint little town with some good night life and the only McDonalds untill you get to SD. You can learn a few things about Dominican culture here.

Charlie

Reading the original post and the fact they seem a little green and are in an AI I would say go west to the capital and not east to San Pedro - I was there in Barrio Mexico and Barrio Blanco yesterday and would not recommend it other than a quick zip around the Malecon to someone very new to the DR. It is like a combat zone in some places and at night especially.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
OK SP is small

ricktoronto said:
Reading the original post and the fact they seem a little green and are in an AI I would say go west to the capital and not east to San Pedro - I was there in Barrio Mexico and Barrio Blanco yesterday and would not recommend it other than a quick zip around the Malecon to someone very new to the DR. It is like a combat zone in some places and at night especially.

I agree with the advice to go west. I just hate to drive in SD myself. There is no doubt that you are able to see much more of Dominican life in SD. It however reminds me of just another big city of the world. I also hate to drive in Paris, London, and Athens. I refuse to drive in NYC. I think that you may not find as much attractions in San Pedro but it is a great place to see real Dominican culture.