Tipping Maids?

ezbrz

Mar 1, 2004
just a quick question here. what do you think is reasonable to tip the maid daily at an all-inclusive resort? do you think they would appreciate little gifts that we could bring from home as well? i know the economy is much different in DR then it is in Canada and i wanted to bring something nice for our maid or bartenders? is that cheesy?

Lisa

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
In case you don't read the links

ezbrz said:
just a quick question here. what do you think is reasonable to tip the maid daily at an all-inclusive resort? do you think they would appreciate little gifts that we could bring from home as well? i know the economy is much different in DR then it is in Canada and i wanted to bring something nice for our maid or bartenders? is that cheesy?

Lisa

RD$100 (100 pesos) daily in the maid's hand with a "gracias" will do the trick. Skip the toiletries and such unless IN ADDITION to cash.

kunky

Oct 6, 2003
Well, coming from Canada the first yr (3yrs ago) I brought with me clothes, toys (bubbles, candy, gum, skipping ropes, and little misc items from the $ store) and the maids appreciated it very much. Now, I travel lighter, and just tip in American $. Being a bartender myself, I'm very generous, but then it's only money that I know I'll be making when I get home. So, I tip on a daily basis, 2-3$ at lunch, 5$ at dinner, and 2$ daily to the bartenders at the resort. Off resort at the bars, it's usually 2$ the first round, then I tip at the end of the nite 5-10$ depending how nice they are. I've noticed that I've always been given more attention if I tip the first day. That's me though, don't feel like you have to tip, but knowing the locals wages, it makes me happier knowing that they appreciate it. Do what you feel will make you happy.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
what not to leave

Please do not leave used makeup, pantyhose, etc. (Yes, people really do this.)

Nelly :)