Ocean World - Tigers!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Just received a few photos of the new tigers at Ocean World.

tigers_1.jpg

tigers_2.jpg

tigers_3.jpg

URock

Feb 10, 2003
That place looks great!!!!

Next time I go to the DR I got to check out Ocean World. It must have cost a small fortune to get it up and running. The tigers look to be in excellent shape. Where did they come from?

Hel

Aug 4, 2003
How gorgeous! So I take it that when I come to DR in May I will be able to see the tigers??

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Unfortunately, the park will not open the new attractions to the public until June 1st. This includes the tiger area and rainforest/bird-aviaries. There is a chance that the guided tours done until that time for people booked in dolphin/sea lion programs may get a sneak peak through the areas on certain days/times.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I was confused to see the word tiger and ocean in such close proximity but nevertheless i am eagerly looking forward to going on June 7th.

I can't wait!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The climate of the DR is very similar to the climate of their natural habitat in Asia, so they should be very comfortable in the outside exhibit at Ocean World. One side of the outside exhibit lets in wind from the Atlantic Ocean, so the typical North shore breeze will keep them cool there. The high rock walls of the exhibit also guarantee shade at all times.

If it does get too hot when there is no wind, they can take a swim in the pool inside the exhibit. Tigers, unlike other cats, like to swim.

Starting June 1st, the price of admission at Ocean World will include swimming in the same pool as the tigers, separated by glass only (Don't worry, its very thick acrylic). We have a drilled hole in one of the windows and hope to eventually allow the public to feed the tigers - under heavy supervision of course.

The tigers will not be on the outside exhibit all the time, they have an area inside one of buildings adjacent to the exhibit. This inside area has air-conditioning in the event the rooms get too hot or cold.

Yes, they do eat meat.