Experience DR, don't complain

loveDR

Apr 18, 2004
Well I just got home from DR about a week ago, and I stay on Don Julio Beach at the Coral Costa Caribe Resort by Hilton, and I absolutely loved it. I do admit that this was my first trip to anywhere outside of North America, but I still loved it. Yes I was too nervous to drive myelf anywhere, and I went on the typical touris tours, but I had a great time and I do not regret doing that at all. Next time I will be a bit more braver then this trip. However I did find a little money saving tip, the hotel offers day trips that you can book at the front desk. But if you walk down the street OFF THE RESORT there was another tour operator that provides the same tour for almost half the amount of money.

I suggest going on at least on tour, and if possible on to Santo Domingo, just for the experience. You get to see how other people live, outside of the suburbanism the consumes the majority of North America. It gives you a reality check the holy s--t, there are a lot of poor people in the DR and it makes you so much more grateful of home. Some people look at the Dominican as a slum, which it is and they complain about how dirty it is, well why are you going to DR when it is a known 3rd world counrty. I hate it when people say ohh it is dirty, and people are always trying to harass you with their services, or necklaces. Well yes it is dirty they have no social programs like you or I and they're trying to get money, so that they feed themselves and their families. Perhaps you see it as an inconvience, or disgusting well get off of your high horse and realize that even our society is not right, becuase there are people like yourself that is so close minded that you do not realize that there are other ways of living then the way you are.

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
loveDR said:
Well I just got home from DR about a week ago, and I stay on Don Julio Beach at the Coral Costa Caribe Resort by Hilton, and I absolutely loved it.

On our first trip to the Dominican Republic we also stayed at the Coral Costa Caribe located in the small fishing village of Juan Dolio. We loved it so much that we bought a Vacation Club (time share) contract. We been back many times, altough we now prefer the North Coast (Coral Marien) in Costa Dorado.
Every place that I have ever been too has some drawback, but in my opion the many pluses of the DR far out-weigh the minuses. Last week of May we are headed back for our sixth trip to the Marien in the past two years!!
John (Also Love DR)

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Network! Network!

I have been only lucky enough to visit the DR once. I stayed at an AI, as I was travelling alone and did not know what to expect. I was fortunate enough to hook up with BushBaby and Johnny Honda who graciously agreed to show me around. When I wanted to venture outside of the AI on my own (I couldn't find anyone on the resort who felt safe leaving), I called Grahame and got a "pep talk," which gave me the courage to take a taxi by myself to the nearby town of Sosua. I am SO glad I took his advice and went. It was a different energy than Puerto Plata and I enjoyed it immensely.

I also became "friends" with a hotel worker who volunteered to take me to a disco in Puerto Plata, so I could experience a local's DR experience. Yes, I paid for the taxi and drinks, but it was worth it. I knew, because of the advice from this board, to expect that in return for her guidance. I am not sorry I did it. When I visit again, I will just use the AI as a home base and do much more exploring.

Use the advice and experience of those who have lived or visited the DR for years and post on this board. I wll alway be grateful for the advice and assistance given to me by Grahame and Johnny Honda. If every "native" DR citizen and/or frequent visitor on this board is as friendly and helpful as they were, your trip will be fablulous!

Have a great trip,

Tondra
Tondra