Professions?

charlieuk

Apr 18, 2004
Ok I've read the various replies to the posting asking what you gringo's do for a profession out there in the DR, but noticed no mention of anything in the development/construction business.

I'm a part qualified Architectural Technologist considering escaping the UK. I've only been able to find listings for Architects on the south coast. Are there not any on the north coast? Looking for possible employment opportunities. CAD draughting, design/detailing work for construction. Any comments? I would have thought with all the building work that must be going on there would be some drawing work somewhere!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You don't say anything about your language skills. Are you fluent in Spanish? If not, your chances of finding work in your profession are about 0.

charlieuk

Apr 18, 2004
Nearly, not!

Yes well i'm working on that. I did think that might be the case. But also considered offering plan drawing services to English speaking vistors before they bother to pay a hefty amount of fees to an architect.

Anyway looking at options other than architecture. I've got almost 10 years experience in catering and bar work. Any chance with that do you think?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
"Hefty" fees? I think you will be surprised what fees are here compared to those paid where you are now.

You don't need to speak Spanish to be a bartender in a tourist bar.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I agree, Ken

Four years ago we paid 34,000 pesos architects fees for a 375 square metre property set on a 660 square metre lot. This included countless meetings with the architect, where he asked our wishes on every single electrical outlet,etc etc plus 7 copies of the large draughtsman type plans & several copies of the reduced plans. We were very pleased with the service & I don't think a similar service in UK would have cost less than U.S.$1000.