The DR Dream...

gman

Apr 17, 2004
Hi,

As part of a trip around the world, starting in about 6 months, 1st stop: the DR. I have some questions to ask and i thank everybody who will help me!

We are 2 adults 26 years old, and 3 kids, ages 7, 3 and 8 months old.

We would like to stay in the DR for about 6 months to 1 year.

I would like to rent a appart/hotel for about 1 or 2 months to give me time to learn the language and get to know the place and then go out on my own and find a home to rent for the rest of my time there.

I would like to live not too far from the beach. (a few minutes away by car or foot)

Can anyone give me a good idea of what i should expect to pay for an appart/hotel per month big enough for us 5, no luxury, but safety is the 1st priority.

Also, what do you think of bringing a 8 month old to the DR?

thank you very much!

PS. i'm looking for a friend LUCAS MATEO, if you know him please contact me!
Originally from DR, he was living in Montreal, he has 2 daughters (5 years ago)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Have you done enough research as to be able to tell us what area you are looking to stay in?? If so, tell us & we can be a bit more helpful to you. If NOT, I would suggest you check into the archives & see what is said there about the North, South, East, of the country & make a decision as to where you will be stopping at first!! Two/three months to learn the language seems very fast learning. I have been here 12 years & would STILL not call myself fluent even though I do try to converse & involve myself daily with the locals!

Good luck & please come back with specific questions when you have more ideas on what/where you want to start your adventure in the DR!! - Grahame.

gman

Apr 17, 2004
BushBaby said:
Have you done enough research as to be able to tell us what area you are looking to stay in?? If so, tell us & we can be a bit more helpful to you. If NOT, I would suggest you check into the archives & see what is said there about the North, South, East, of the country & make a decision as to where you will be stopping at first!! Two/three months to learn the language seems very fast learning. I have been here 12 years & would STILL not call myself fluent even though I do try to converse & involve myself daily with the locals!

Good luck & please come back with specific questions when you have more ideas on what/where you want to start your adventure in the DR!! - Grahame.

Hi, and thank you for your reply!

I have and still am researching for the best area for us. But it is hard from here, the internet has it's limits... That is why i am asking the forum.

I plan to start off in the north coast, somebody suggested Cabarete for it's nice beach, not too big city, nice people.... I'm trying to find (as preliminary research) a place to stay on the north coast, safety is very important for my 3 kids.

Now, i live in montreal, canada. i have a small internet business, and i make about 3000$CAD / month. I would like to know what kind of living i could make for myself and my family with that much money. I only require an occasional internet connection to be able to work. So i don't need to find a job there.

I would like to be close to local population, no gated or oversecure community, but not in a ghetto either... we don't need luxury, but safety is very important.

I want to make my move there in 2 steps:
1. rent a hotel/condo/appart for about 1 month to have time to look around (hopefully pay less than 1000$CAD for the month big enough for 2 adults and 3 children)
2.find a house or appart/condo to live in but not with a tourist price (there has to be something decent available from the locals for 200$ to 600$ big enough for 2 adults and 3 children)

Thanks you very much for your help!

PS. i'm looking for a friend LUCAS MATEO, if you know him please contact me!
Originally from DR, he was living in Montreal, he has 2 daughters (5 years ago)