public transportation in Santo domingo

Dolly

Apr 19, 2004
Hi everyone, this is my first time to participate in the forum. I have been following and reading your messages for over 2 months, and i want to say they are really helpful. I just moved to SD with my dominican husband about a month ago. I really love it here so far, it is my second visit actually. The only problem I have is getting around as we dont' have a car yet and taxis (the ones that come to the house) are so expensive, and the way I see it the option of public taxis is a no way for me, no offense to anyone, but you need to be an expert to get into them. I wonder if anyone knows about the bus lines or how to get around the city without having to pay a fortune in private taxis? Thanks to all again

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The minimum fare for a taxi ride in the city is RD$80 (less than US$2) these days, which isn't that expensive. It really depends on how many taxis you have to take.

To get to know the buses and/or carros publicos (which are not so bad once you get the hang of them, especially if you travel outside rush hour) you need to get an experienced user to take you and show you the ropes. It is the only way to learn.

Hope this helps.

Chiri

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
I have heard many cases of people that have been mugged while riding the "carros publicos". I have also heard of many attempted rapes. It has happened to people I know.

My advise is, "do not take public transportation by yourself". The safest thing to do is to call those private taxis even if they cost more. Your life is worth it.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
how is it possible

Juniper said:
I have heard many cases of people that have been mugged while riding the "carros publicos". I have also heard of many attempted rapes. It has happened to people I know.

My advise is, "do not take public transportation by yourself". The safest thing to do is to call those private taxis even if they cost more. Your life is worth it.

I cant imagine how someone could be raped in a gua gua when it is near impossible to move, to get in ,
get out let alone perform a rape act.
JOHN

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
johne said:
I cant imagine how someone could be raped in a gua gua when it is near impossible to move, to get in ,
get out let alone perform a rape act.
JOHN

My message clearly indicated that I was referring to the "carros publicos". You should pay more attention when you read.

You run the risks when you get into one of those "carros publicos". And naturally, not all the carros publicos drivers will do anything bad. But there have been cases when they are in combination with other men that get in the car with you and that's when they rob you or rape you.

As far as the guaguas are concerned, I think she should try them. I don't think she will do it twice though. Let us know what you think Dolly after you try them.

Last edited:

Dolly

Apr 19, 2004
I want to thank you all for replying, I think I will try the guaguas with my husband and see how the experience is. I will definitely let you all know. Thanks again

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
same thing..

Juniper said:
My message clearly indicated that I was referring to the "carros publicos". You should pay more attention when you read.

Your remarks about my paying attention to my reading is the very same thing my grade school teacher said 50 years ago. So sorry for not "reading your post". BTW my teacher used to say it in the same nasty tone you used:}

JOHN

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
johne said:
Juniper said:

Your remarks about my paying attention to my reading is the very same thing my grade school teacher said 50 years ago. So sorry for not "reading your post". BTW my teacher used to say it in the same nasty tone you used:}

JOHN

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Didn't mean to.