DR vs Cuban Resort workers

flec

Feb 7, 2004
www.flec.ca
dr vs. cuba resorts

I hope this isn't off topic, but I have a female friend in Toronto. Anyway, she went down to Cuba and absolutely fell in love with a resort worker. I advised her as to the potential pitfalls of a DR resort worker (ie. sankie) and having been around the DR block I had to question the genuiness of my friend's resort worker love.

Now, my question is how do Cuban resort workers compare against DR ones? Are many looking for a foreigner to whisk them away to better lands? I have a feeling Cubans are in not as bad economic despair as Dominicans but do the resort workers tend to have the same qualities?

URock

Feb 10, 2003
Sounds like........

flec said:
I hope this isn't off topic, but I have a female friend in Toronto. Anyway, she went down to Cuba and absolutely fell in love with a resort worker. I advised her as to the potential pitfalls of a DR resort worker (ie. sankie) and having been around the DR block I had to question the genuiness of my friend's resort worker love.

Now, my question is how do Cuban resort workers compare against DR ones? Are many looking for a foreigner to whisk them away to better lands? I have a feeling Cubans are in not as bad economic despair as Dominicans but do the resort workers tend to have the same qualities?

a new thread should be started for this one! ;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Let's see!

flec said:

I just have one question for you and then you can do the math; which of the 2 is more desperate to leave their countries?

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
I would have to say that the economic pressures are the same if not worse for (average) Cubans. At least in the DR one can buy the things you need-like shampoo, toothpaste, soap, easily and without lining up for rationed food etc. Also in the DR, one easily start some kind of business, whether it be shoe shining or sankie - at least free enterprise is easy.

If someone is 'lucky' enough to be working for the government (read army) or some such 'prestigious' job then things are not quite as bad.

It's the same game-different island.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Bingoooo!!

hollywood north said:
I would have to say that the economic pressures are the same if not worse for (average) Cubans. At least in the DR one can buy the things you need-like shampoo, toothpaste, soap, easily and without lining up for rationed food etc. Also in the DR, one easily start some kind of business, whether it be shoe shining or sankie - at least free enterprise is easy.

If someone is 'lucky' enough to be working for the government (read army) or some such 'prestigious' job then things are not quite as bad.

It's the same game-different island.
Exactly my point, plus hundreds of other reasons.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
What I would like to know is this, when you travel to NYC, do you fall in love with the guy who cleans the bathrooms in a texaco gas station? if not, then what do you fancy about hotel servents? They are the lowest and the most poorest of the Dominican republic. Why stoops so low to find someone in a 3rd world country? Aren't there any decent men left in USA or canada whom you can relate to on equal social level? Aren't there any illegal mexican or haitian construction workers in your area whom you all can fall in love with and not having to travel so far and worry about getting them a visa to come to USA? What is it that you folks fancy so much about resort workers what most dominicans would'nt even consider talking to?
Nevermind, I have asked this question a million times. I guess it takes one to understand one. I give up.
AZB

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Hey Flec! Looks like you might have a female friend after all, since that was your 'new' post.

AZB- I know what you mean and you have illustrated your point very well this time.

Is it not true that relationships have a tough start when a) the education level is not even CLOSE b) language and experience barriers make casual references to current culture and jokes impossible or completely misunderstood c) different upbringing and culture breed a different set of expectations?

Toronto is made up of many types of people from all over the world, and I speak from experience, having BRIEFLY dated a few guys like that, and what I have described above is often the case. I know not every situation is doomed from the get-go, however how many hurdles is true love supposed to conquer!

My guy has a background very similar to mine, 2 university degrees, no lack of good work available, gets the jokes, and has the same work ethics as I, and I would not change that for 10 minutes with even the best hung, muscular Dominicano resort worker.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
AAAnnnnnndddd.................

I could tell almost as many "Cuban" sankie stories as I can Dominican ones however they would all be based on "heresay" (I heard it from someone else so I'm gonna tell it to you).
Which reminds me....there's a couple of real life "events" that occurred this past winter (no sankies or STW's involved) that I should post. Sure to be eye openers for some and a good chuckle for others! :ermm:

Last edited:

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Sankies

Let me tell you this.

If your friend fell in love with a resort worker from Cuba you don't know if the guy really love here, many people have the concern about that every hotel worker wants to leave their countries, I know many does it and many doesn't this is some thing that she better know the guy.

Sankies, Gigolos,mujeriegos or any others names for who take advantage about woman or man in Turism field. "You find the every where, Mexico, Cuba, Dominican Rep, Virgin Island, Jamaica, Clubs in Generals.

Here is where the thing start where many foreign go to the DR or Cuba or any other Tourist destination to do stuff that in their home land dont do or believe. Why a woman would believe those sankies saying "I love you "right the moment he saw at the beach, where in her homeland is not like that.

The Differences about Dominican Rep. and Cuba is the FREEDOM that have Dominicans. About who is more desperated to leave their country I cant say because I can't generalize an entire country or worker.

In my personal Opinion there are woman who go to Cuba not just for vacation many time go for sex, fell in love with the guy and then the problem start.
If she love the guy and the guy love her "Amen" Maybe she doesn't know the guy but also might think he doesn't know her how is she in her ountry is she is having a husban or not.

Is not about been Macho Macho, foreign man can easy find out when a woman is puta why woman can't find out that by theirself with out generalize?

Homer

flec said:

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
I agree

AZB

I am agree 100% + tax with you.
That was a very realistic example. many woman become wild as soon as land to the DR. smiling and talking to every body etc. where in their countries are not acting like that.

Homer

AZB said:
What I would like to know is this, when you travel to NYC, do you fall in love with the guy who cleans the bathrooms in a texaco gas station? if not, then what do you fancy about hotel servents? They are the lowest and the most poorest of the Dominican republic. Why stoops so low to find someone in a 3rd world country? Aren't there any decent men left in USA or canada whom you can relate to on equal social level? Aren't there any illegal mexican or haitian construction workers in your area whom you all can fall in love with and not having to travel so far and worry about getting them a visa to come to USA? What is it that you folks fancy so much about resort workers what most dominicans would'nt even consider talking to?
Nevermind, I have asked this question a million times. I guess it takes one to understand one. I give up.
AZB

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Homer, as a former resort worker I think you should sit down and write some of the experiences that you've had with some of the wild women. We only get to hear one sided stories. We promise not to tell your girlfriend :rolleyes: Besides they all happened before you met her right? ;)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
flec said:

Question #:

1 - The difference is that it is a lot cheaper to "buy love" in Cuba than in The DR. A loaf of bread should do it...
2 - Yes, especialy if you're going to take them to Miami.
3 - They have a much worse economic situation. Difference is Cubans are not as free to mingle with tourists as Dominicans are, but when it comes to sankies, they're probably about the same. I'm sure they can all dance well, be smooth with the ladies, etc...

DRgirlatheart

Sep 20, 2003
Why be so snobbish?

I guess the only point I want to make is...why should we look down on people who work at a resort? As a general rule, I do not treat people with more respect just because they are the president of a company, or a dr. etc. I happen to have good friends I met because we frequent a restaurant where they wait tables. I decide how I am going to treat someone based on how they treat me. I really don't give a rat's derriere about someone's "station in life". As far as I am concerned, a job is a job, even if it doesn't pay a lot of money or come with a lot of prestige. If I didn't have the job I do, I would think nothing of taking a job that many would consider "below me" if that was all that was available to me at the time. At least I would be working. And I bet all of those resort workers work a whole lot harder than most of us do. I know they work a lot harder than I have to!

Just my 2 cents worth.

mindyvicente

Jan 14, 2004
Wat to go.....

DRgirlatheart, It could not have been said better. No matter what jub it is that a lot of dominicans do- they work hard and do it well. Many of my friends there work for very little and they do everything they can to provide for their families. A lot of these workers are sankies.... but it is not just in the resort communities- they are everywhere..... even in Canada and the U.S.A..........................
DRgirlatheart said:
I guess the only point I want to make is...why should we look down on people who work at a resort? As a general rule, I do not treat people with more respect just because they are the president of a company, or a dr. etc. I happen to have good friends I met because we frequent a restaurant where they wait tables. I decide how I am going to treat someone based on how they treat me. I really don't give a rat's derriere about someone's "station in life". As far as I am concerned, a job is a job, even if it doesn't pay a lot of money or come with a lot of prestige. If I didn't have the job I do, I would think nothing of taking a job that many would consider "below me" if that was all that was available to me at the time. At least I would be working. And I bet all of those resort workers work a whole lot harder than most of us do. I know they work a lot harder than I have to!

Just my 2 cents worth.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It's true, it is hard to decide who are much more desperate to leave.

Dominicans:

- Lots of jobs, but low pay
- Freedom, but chaotic scenery
- More money than in Cuba, but lots of kids with out schooling
- People put themselves first, Society second

Cubans:
- Few jobs, bizzare pays (Taxis earn more than Doctors)
- Limited Freedom, but orderly society
- Less money than in the DR, but every kid gets through school, there is no shortage of doctors or even of teachers.
- People put Society first, themselves second.

Each has it's good and bad. It depends which ones hurt closer to home, I would guess.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I have tried to stay away from this thread but what you wrote just ticked me off.

Nal0whs said:
Cubans:
- Few jobs, bizzare pays (Taxis earn more than Doctors)
Nal0whs said:
- Limited Freedom, but orderly society .
Limited? No Freedom of Speech, No Freedom of press, No freedom of association. No freedom of Access, no Freedom of travel. Limited is putting it mildly
Nal0whs said:
- Less money than in the DR, but every kid gets through school, there is no shortage of doctors or even of teachers. .
The Cuban Educational system is one of the Biggest myths perpetuated by the media. Kids arriving from Cuba today are testing lower than kids from most other Latin American Countries Including Mexico and the DR. Sure they go to school but what are they taught. Political indoctrination and 1/2 of their high school years are spent cutting sugar cane.
Nal0whs said:
- People put Society first, themselves second. .
You Have to be Kidding me! You use the word Society when you should really be using the word "state". The State forces Society to work for the Betterment of the State not the Society
Nal0whs said:
Each has it's good and bad. It depends which ones hurt closer to home, I would guess.

While things in the DR are not optimal it cannot compare to what the people of Cuba are going through. At least the Dominican's have a chance to vote out the Jerks who they were stupid enough to vote for in the first place. Cubans never have had that chance.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
oppps

Anna Coniglio said:
Homer, as a former resort worker I think you should sit down and write some of the experiences that you've had with some of the wild women. We only get to hear one sided stories. We promise not to tell your girlfriend :rolleyes: Besides they all happened before you met her right? ;)

Do?a Anna,

I will talk in other thread.....

don't worried :rolleyes:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
This is sounding a little too political for this forum. I know you're all trying to make a point BUT let's try and keep it to the original question which was:

How do Cuban resort workers compare against DR ones? Are many looking for a foreigner to whisk them away to better lands?

Thank you

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Keeping in mind the original question.....I have met resort and other workers in both countries. No-not for sankie services!!! Just met, talked about their situations and the BIG difference I have encountered is once the Cuban is comfortable talking about it, they are chomping at the bit to get out. No freedom, less other opportunities than their Dominican counterparts.

Nal0ws - have you been to Cuba lately??? Have any Cuban friends?