NYC Spring Reunion!!

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
In the spirit of the beautiful weather gracing NYC right now, I think DR1'ers should get together to celebrate! Anyone around?

I was thinking in a couple of weeks... May 6 or 7? Or the week after.

We could try Rancho Jubilee in Queens, since we talked about it so much last time but went to DRK instead which is nice but so far! Hope to hear from everyone.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I might be in the DR the second or third week in May. If I am in NY, I will do my best to come. If not, I will have a presedente for you.
Larry

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
So glad you can make it. But wait... other gal? I hope you haven't been cheating on me Scotty, especially not with my friend LINA!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Bugsey34 said:
In the spirit of the beautiful weather gracing NYC right now, I think DR1'ers should get together to celebrate! Anyone around?
Yeah 40 degree at night sure sounds like a beautiful weather.
No thanks.
AZB

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
Too bad...I'll be in NYC on the 28th of April, but not quite in time, I guess...I'd love to meet you people. Next time, I guess!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I'm sorry to say this but Rancho Jubilee in Queens (the one in the corner of Ditmars and 94th St.) only has the looks to offer, the food is terrible and service needs to be introduced to the staff as the operating system in use and not the "I may attend to your table when I see fit" attitude, and prices are very uncommon to the menu, a piece of grilled chicken breast for almost $20.00 gimme' a break!

Just a few blocks away nicely stocked in Northern Blvd. and 98th St. is "Cafe Rubio" a great get together place with a great menu that doesn't get stuck on the Mofongo and Tostones offering like most places, a nice dish I could recommend: Rinconsito Sutil (tender cut chicken breast filled with Shrimp and portabello mushrooms, imported Italian cheese and some other stuff I can't recall now, served over a rich and tasty cream sauce)

Others would be:

Platanos a La Playa (a type of Mofongo but no pork or red meats served with shrimp, lobster tail, clams, calamare , etc., with a tasty in house special sauce).

Filete de Pescado a La VeraCruz (if you like fish I'll let you find out this one on your own)

Chicken Paillard (a thin juiced grilled breast of chicken served over a salad mix of arrugula and top pick greens with diced imported Italian mozzarella and balsamic Italian vinegar, only $10.00!!)

OK! OK! I'll come clean!
I happen to know this place a lot because I did about 99% of it myself to help a buddy on a biz gone south, I built the bar, Dominican style houses (one houses the kitchen inside the other just for looks) with zinc roof and all, the recently built Winebar in the back room (which happens to be a glass house 99% only floor is not glass) the PC based music and video system and most of the menu still going strong!!!

I tried some ideas I had for my ongoing restaurant project here, kind of a kid's sandbox to play with, and I was very happy almost all the ideas were very good indeed, if you happen to go on a Thursday you'll be having to join in the Karaoke nights! or Monday's tipicos with the in house tipica band, Tuesdays are for Arabian dancers and back rubs for the clients by a professional masseuse, Wednesday is for Rock, Friday for cool videos, Saturdays are romantic live singers like Fausto Rey and like, Sundays Cuquin y boruga, benny sadel, monchy capricho etc.

I was testing to see if the new Ansi handheld service POS could work in a heavy use restaurant and so far I find it to be great, the girls can take the order on the tables and just write on the Dell's Axim X5 like a note pad and hit send which in a second has all the bases covered, food to the kitchen, drinks to the bar, wine to the Winebar etc. right now I plan to implement the paging system to have the cooks page the girls to pick up the dish once it's ready to be served unlike the normal every 3 minutes check to the kitchen by all of them.

We have a great relationship with several Dominican artists like Villalona and others from back in the days who visit from time to time and love to participate with the patrons singing and all that kind of stuff, also many Dominican baseball players do visit every time their team has a game in NY.

But to me it's like a cool cozy corner where to go where everybody seems to know your name, like that Cheers song? And a great lab for me to try in a small scale my ideas without risking losing a lot of cash in the big leagues.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
count me in.

let's keep the ball going here. you can count me in for a get-together. would love to meet you folks.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm In

Bugsey34 said:

We could try Rancho Jubilee in Queens, since we talked about it so much last time but went to DRK instead which is nice but so far! Hope to hear from everyone.

You can count me in and my vote is for May 13 or later.

JOHN

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
AZB said:
No thanks.
AZB

40 degrees??? No way! I've been sipping cocktails at night at outdoor cafes on Madison Avenue for a week in a tank top! And get this: the electricity was on the WHOLE time! Unbelievable! :cool:

After May 13 works for me John.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Rsvp

AZB said:
No thanks.
AZB

Thanks for your quick RSVP.. Sorry you will not be able to join us.

JOHN

Chilipepper

Mar 28, 2003
I have to agree with you Pichardo,

PICHARDO said:
I'm sorry to say this but Rancho Jubilee in Queens (the one in the corner of Ditmars and 94th St.) only has the looks to offer, the food is terrible and service needs to be introduced to the staff as the operating system in use and not the "I may attend to your table when I see fit" attitude, and prices are very uncommon to the menu, a piece of grilled chicken breast for almost $20.00 gimme' a break!

Just a few blocks away nicely stocked in Northern Blvd. and 98th St. is "Cafe Rubio" a great get together place with a great menu that doesn't get stuck on the Mofongo and Tostones offering like most places, a nice dish I could recommend: Rinconsito Sutil (tender cut chicken breast filled with Shrimp and portabello mushrooms, imported Italian cheese and some other stuff I can't recall now, served over a rich and tasty cream sauce)

Cafe Rubio is very good, I have been there a few times and the food was always excellent.

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Michele,

Count me in, especially if Scott will be there. Bugs don't give out the secret girl; his current flame is not supposed to know about us. Besides, girlfriend, I am willing to share him with you.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
I guess Zeus is the outcast. Oh, well: Do the crime, do the time: that's my motto: : :cry:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
linamia said:
Michele,

Count me in, especially if Scott will be there. Bugs don't give out the secret girl; his current flame is not supposed to know about us. Besides, girlfriend, I am willing to share him with you.
My current flame is no longer burning. Didn't work out and I am sorry about that but I am very single now and will pay you two ladies a lot of attention.

I prefer after the 12 or 13th also since I only get into town on the 4 or 5th and need to run some things down first.

Scott

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Si!!!!

Bugsey34 said:

I can probably make it this time.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Looks like a few people prefer May 14 weekend. Despite the impassioned plea for Cafe Rubio, we have been talking about Jubilee for a while, I think we will stick with it. It has both dinner and dancing. Where's Forbeca???

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Bugsey34 said:
Looks like a few people prefer May 14 weekend. Despite the impassioned plea for Cafe Rubio, we have been talking about Jubilee for a while, I think we will stick with it. It has both dinner and dancing. Where's Forbeca???

I'm here darling. I'm waiting for the real date to be set so I can reply. Don't want the same thing that happened the last time to happen again. most likely I'll be in town.