anyone heard of this area ensanchez altagrasia santo domingo

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
hi
i met someone recently during my travels who claims to come from this area. id like to know if anyone can tell me about this area. ie type of people (affluent/ poor) typical income, housing (slums ect),safety issues. any info will be helpful. im not sure if i have the correct spelling for this area. this is just to satisfy my
curiousity
thanks
rock on

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Altagracia

billyidol said:
hi
i met someone recently during my travels who claims to come from this area. id like to know if anyone can tell me about this area. ie type of people (affluent/ poor) typical income, housing (slums ect),safety issues. any info will be helpful. im not sure if i have the correct spelling for this area. this is just to satisfy my
curiousity
thanks
rock on
There is a town, 20 or 30 minutes North of Santo Domingo called Altagracia.
We used to drive right through it to get to Santo Domingo from the North Coast, but the new highway now contours it.
I can't tell you much about it, except there is a free trade zone there and a narrow mainstreet full of insane drivers.
It's quite big and may even be considered a city.
Marco.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
billyidol said:
hi
curiousity
thanks
rock on

ENSANCHE means urbanization and ALTAGRACIA literally means high grace and it is the name of the patron saint of the DR....it is a lower middle class section of the capital, Santo Domingo....not to be confused with Villa Altagracia, a town about 30 miles northwest of the capital.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
In Herrera west of SD

Poor barrio in the western suburbs of SD, you get there at the end of the 27feb. you will find there hard working people and also thieves, drug s?ugglers and friendly senoritas. Security issues: you might not have problems.. you might also be unlucky... Planning to spend a few days there? Maybe you could find better.

Barnabe

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
when you say lower middle class or poorer areas. do they live in shanty's with dirt floors. is that the level of poverty or do they live in apartments . if anyone has further info id welcome it :)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It depends on the level of income of the person, whether or not they are of Haitian decent and if they have people living abroad. If they have people abroad and their income is poor but higher than most poor, they will be living in apartments. Cramped places, but apartments non the less. If their income levels is on the lower scale of the poor or if they are of Haitian decent, they will most likely be living in shacks. Again, the quality of the shacks also depends on their incomes, the higher within the poor, the better the wood and more organize the shack looks. It might even be brightly painted which lift the spirit for most of those people. But if the income is low within the poor, the shack could simply be made out of wires, cardboard, and if they are lucky, cement floors.