Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House Hunting

Post Thanks / Like

Default House Hunting

After a lot of research and the generous help of a new friend I will be travelling to Puerto Plata from Toronto in early May to go house hunting or maybe apartment hunting. I want to rent my new place part of the time and use it myself as well.

I think I prefer Cabarete first and maybe Sosua second for a villa but I am looking for suggestions and info from people located there.
    In March I spent some time in both places and each had its' strong points.

It would be great if I didn't need a car and could have a short walk to the supermarket and a short walk to restaurants and the ocean.

I know this is a very general type of question but any suggestions, advice or comments would be welcome from anyone living or owning there. Even the names of residential communities within a short walk of the town would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Halibu

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You will need to narrow it down a bit

The are a number of nice communities to choose from but the prices can range from under $100,000 to well over $1,000,000. Pick a price range and I'll make some suggestions.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer Sosua to Cabarete to live in and hence I live there. I suggest you check out a condo since it is easier to manage because of the nature of the animal. I own 2 in El Neptuno in Sosua which I have renovated completely and am renovating 2 others for a friend which I will then do weekly to monthly rentals for as well as my 2.

I am in the process of purchasing 4 1000 m2 lots in Cabarete walking distance to the main beach. I will do something with these but wont be living there.

I have been sucessful in renting them out so far but this is only 8 months going. Check out my website for ideas on renting if you like and feel free to steal anything you want that belonged to me. Hell I stole a bunch of stuff from DR1 and I can't authorize you to steal that but what is not theirs you are welcome to.

http://dr1.com/directories/rental/do...o_rental.shtml
    Last edited by DR1Admin; 04-22-2004 at 09:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default house hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Camden Tom
    The are a number of nice communities to choose from but the prices can range from under $100,000 to well over $1,000,000. Pick a price range and I'll make some suggestions.

$100/150,000 is about right...thanks

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default In that price range....

........I would suggest checking out the Casa Linda neighborhood. A cute, quaint gated neighborhood. 2 and 3 bedroom homes on small lots, each with a swimming pool. It is located just off the main road between Sosua and Cabarete. There are several DR1er's that own in that development.

Post Thanks / Like

Default house hunting

Thanks very much.

I have see their website and been by there but wondered if there was something closer to Sosua or Cabarete that was a comfortable walk to a supermarket, restaurants and the ocean ?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm not sure what Escott plans to do........

....with the Cabarete lots he's purchasing. They are as convienient to town, beach, market, rest. as can be. Maybe he could build something for you. If I see something else that looks appealing, I'll let you know.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at El Neptuno when you visit Sosua. I live there for a number of reasons, not the least being it is located right in town and within easy walking distance of the supermarkets and other services. It is located in an upscale neighborhood, apartments are about 1300 sq ft with two bedrooms and two full baths plus a balcony with view of the sea. There is one apartment that has been recently redecorated and on the second floor that is available for $100,000.

Post Thanks / Like

Default house hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    Take a look at El Neptuno when you visit Sosua. I live there for a number of reasons, not the least being it is located right in town and within easy walking distance of the supermarkets and other services. It is located in an upscale neighborhood, apartments are about 1300 sq ft with two bedrooms and two full baths plus a balcony with view of the sea. There is one apartment that has been recently redecorated and on the second floor that is available for $100,000.
    I have seen El Neptuno on several rental sites and walked by it as well. Will definitely check it out. Does anyone know about a place called Pro Cab in Cabarete? It has been suggested I look there for a villa.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pro cab

Pro Cab is back, away from the beach. Lots of locals that work in Cabarete live there. Its quiet, and close enough to walk to the center, but many people opt for a bike instead to save a few minutes.

I have heard that it floods there quite often though.

I am moving to Cabarete myself on May 15th, but just renting as this won't be permanent for me. A year or two max.

Jay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast