Im sick of living in the USA.

jon1981

Apr 22, 2004
Im dominican born, american raised(since I was 5). Im 22 now.

I lived in Boca chica all of 2002. I liked it, fell in love with my the woman of my dreams, but the money sucked I was making $4000RD= about $85 a month on the strip there in Boca Chica.

I live the States again but, aside from the shopping, and the nice paycheck, I HATE IT. Anyone have any Ideas on what I could do as far as work over there either in the Capital or in Boca Chica. I currently work as and orthopedic Bracefitter/marketer. But I am very computer literate, mechanically and technically inclined, I have some college experience, and Im a licensed/certified bartender.

How much money would it take for me to open up a bar on the strip there in Boca Chica? I already have a location for free. Or does anyone have any other Ideas?

andy_089

Mar 23, 2003
best advice

if you?re an english speaking dominican, you could go as a sanki. que es facil :p :p :p

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I don't see an easy solution to your problem; and how can you hate a place so much when you're only 22 years old? You're in your prime. Most of us start thinking about a quieter life in our 40s. Try to be the best you can be where you're now, then think about moving to the DR.

Have you finished school yet? what did you major in? These are the things you should be concentrating on.

Good luck.

jon1981 said:

I lived in Boca chica all of 2002. I liked it, fell in love with my the woman of my dreams, but the money sucked I was making $4000RD= about $85 a month on the strip there in Boca Chica.

I live the States again but, aside from the shopping, and the nice paycheck, I HATE IT. Anyone have any Ideas on what I could do as far as work over there either in the Capital or in Boca Chica. I currently work as and orthopedic Bracefitter/marketer. But I am very computer literate, mechanically and technically inclined, I have some college experience, and Im a licensed/certified bartender.

How much money would it take for me to open up a bar on the strip there in Boca Chica? I already have a location for free. Or does anyone have any other Ideas?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You have skills and could get a job. But the money is still going to suck if you compare what you will earn here for what you earn in the US.

Think about staying there, saving your money, visiting once or twice a year, and investing here when you can afford to. Prepare for the day when you have enough saved and invested that you can live and work here without being completely dependent on what you earn.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
My suggestion is this. Continue to live in the U.S. and start to save and research different ways and options for buying a home. Then, you can go to Fairfield County in Connecticut (the city of Stamford to be exact) and you should try to buy a quadplex or triplex in one of the many attractive neighborhoods in that city.

The downsides to that is that Fairfield County has been the 2nd wealthiest county in the Country for a number of years (average income is around $160,000). As you probably guess it, the average price for a home here is around $700,000 for a small Cape Cod style home and the average rent for a one bedroom apartment in Stamford, CT are now renting for an average of about $1,600 per month. The city is very attractive, has a nightlife, lots of services. It's also the home to Xerox, WWE, Swiss Bank North America Division, Purdue, Pitney Bowes, International Paper, Hiperion (eastern seaboard office) and alot of other Fortune 500 companies. Many are based here. The city is also 30 minutes from Manhattan and is right next to Greenwich, CT (one of the hangouts for the American elites with Kennedy's, Jack Nicklaus, Tommy Hilfiger, among others) owning mansions there. That's why it's so expensive.

The reason I suggest that area is because then, you will have a very nice stream of income coming in while you live in the DR with not much to worry about, as long as your finances are concerned.

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
jon1981 said:
I live the States again but, aside from the shopping, and the nice paycheck, I HATE IT.

You are doing the correct thing!!! Get the F*** OUT!!!!!! SeeYa!!!!!!!!!
Good Bye
John

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Merchant marines

There are jobs in as a merchant marine(Civilian Sailor) the money is decent and you can get on 28/28 rotations. The you would be working four weeks with US wages and you four weeks off would be at DR cost of living.
If you got a east cost or gulf coast job on a lift boat or a tug boat you would be spending less than one day each way traveling to the DR. while at work you live on the ship so no cost of living.
Yes the work sucks but it pays good with lots of time off.

http://www.c2cmarinejobs.com/

John

jon1981

Apr 22, 2004
Thanks!

Thanks for the links and the website. To the guy that said about moving to Stamford. I live about two hours away from Stamford. But right now dabbling with some real estate, I'll be purchasing a three family house within the next week or so. But you Idea is a good one.

As far as being a sankie, I used to be friends with all them whore bags in Boca Chica, they're nice, and generous but that aint the life for me.

And all that boating stuff, I dont think I can deal with all that captain crunch $hit.

But thanks for your insight guys. I know Im only 22 but I graduated HS at 16 and I been living the real life ever since. So I am at my prime but im trying to settle down. And make wise descisions.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
the boating stuff

I am 37 now and retire from the Navy in as of today 409 days. My pension will be enough for me and I am basing that on what the posters have told me and also from me being in the DR and knowing what I spend partying.
It is my intention to do something more than just live off my pension so I have looked at what I could do to make enough money to invest with or buy realestate other things and the merchant marines was good money with lots of days off in a row.
Each of us has dreams and I hope yours works out.
Maybe when you get your bar in Boca Chica I may be in there every once in a while.
John

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oyeme bien!

jon1981 said:

The only thing that you should do is to save your money while working in the US and when I say save, I mean save all the time and non stop, and in a few years, if you have a good head on your shoulders, you will be able to go to the DR and do as you wish. When I was 22 I did many things that people would tell me that would not work because I was "too young". I went ahead and did them and so far so good (I am 41 now). But be aware that you will need to sacrifice many things. For example, if you "need" to go to that disco once a week and spend $ 100.00 per visit, then try and go once a month or just don't spend as much. You need to buy that "special girl' a Movado watch, go ahead and buy her a Citizen instead. Save, save and save some more and be patient. It takes money to start any type of business and by working in the DR for $ 4,000 pesos a month, you will never be able to do it. Stay put and work hard for a few years and you will see that all will be fine. Good luck.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
A Long Story

jon1981 said:

Let me tell you a long story...briefly...
I moved to the U.S. from the D.R. at 13 and lived the American Dream for 30 years...came back yearly on vacation and always planning to come to Boca Chica to set-up a tourist-oriented business and just become a beach bum...
well, when I hit 40 I decided to take my retirement fund and run and I did, however, I decided to stay in the U.S. for a time and "enjoy the freedom" and did that and travelled all over the 48 contiguous states and had a ball (and spent a chunk of my retiremente funds)....then I decided to go to Europe for a few months and wound up staying 4 years, having a blast and spending another chunk of the funds....finally came back to the D.R. and spent 3 years half-looking for jobs and spent whatever was left of the funds in the meantime....finally started working a few years ago, was lucky enough to get a job with a U.S. company in the D.R. and am finally on my way back
AT 55!....no desire to be a beach bum anymore, I go to an AI once in a while just overnight but I am enjoying the DR lifestyle and have adapted well, thank GOD!...Any moral to this story?...Perhaps the best one is don't spend all your capital...I could have done the same thing differently and much smarter but always lived for today and did not worry about tomorrow (my Dominican side)...Do I have any regrets?...NOPE!...You can't take it with you!...all material possesions are insignificant compared to the experiences lived...Do what you want and live life to its fullest everyday since yesterday is dust and tomorrow is wind...only right now matters, really....GOOD LUCK!

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
frank alvarez said:
You can't take it with you!...all material possesions are insignificant compared to the experiences lived...Do what you want and live life to its fullest everyday since yesterday is dust and tomorrow is wind...only right now matters, really....GOOD LUCK!

Frank, I admire your attitude, and wish I could allow myself to feel the same! After many, many years of working 70+ hours and finally becoming financially secure, it is most difficult to teach "An Old Dog New Attitudes"!!
John :p

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
I forgot to say

johnsr said:
Frank, I admire your attitude, and wish I could allow myself to feel the same! After many, many years of working 70+ hours and finally becoming financially secure, it is most difficult to teach "An Old Dog New Attitudes"!!
John :p

Unless you are unattached and don't even have to take care of a parakeet, as I, it's really hard to do it....family complications would have mandated a much more responsible attitude, of course.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
jon1981 said:

Just wanted to point out, 4,000 pesos in 2002 was worth $267.

jon1981

Apr 22, 2004
gringo in dr said:
Just wanted to point out, 4,000 pesos in 2002 was worth $267.

Abosolutely, your right I forgot. Impossible to live on. When you have a car in DR. But wow you guys are my inspiration, If my I close on this house soon, I will see you guys at my disco in boca chica. THANKS!