Nursing in DR: Any opportunities?

Whitedove

Apr 22, 2004
Hello All,
I am a young Canadian nurse who recently returned from a vacation in the DR. I spent some time on the Marien Coral resort on the North Coast but my most enjoyable and memorable experiences occurred off of the resort in the countryside with the people. I spent two days there and fell in love with the Dominican people. Despite living in poverty, these people are extremely friendly and happy. I hope to return someday to visit but would love to be able to live there for some time. I realize the conditions would be very poor. I am wondering if a nurse could find some work, at least enough to survive. I am interested in the experience...of course, not the wages..lol.

I have read some of the other postings and they all sound very interesting. I would love to hear from anyone who has spent some time in the Dominican.
Thank you

Last edited:

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
Great need for good nursing in DR

Hello,
I'm an MD that went to med school in the DR.
There is great need for good nurses down here. The problem is that there is not much money in it.
Most "nurses" here are maids in a white uniform...no knowledge at all.
I'm going to the US next year for my residency training and I would really like to come back here to work... my greatest concern is having a good team to work with.

Whitedove

Apr 22, 2004
DRshooter said:
Hello,
I'm an MD that went to med school in the DR.
There is great need for good nurses down here. The problem is that there is not much money in it.
Most "nurses" here are maids in a white uniform...no knowledge at all.
I'm going to the US next year for my residency training and I would really like to come back here to work... my greatest concern is having a good team to work with.

I am curious as to why you did your medical training in the DR, and also about the kinds of health concerns, you may have witnessed during your training, common to the DR population. What part of DR would you be interested in practicing in?