Internet Access In the DR

MGSteve

Apr 23, 2004
Hi, I'm coming to the DR next week on holiday (for the 6th time :D), this time I'll sadly have to bring along my laptop.

I'm getting a calling card through the travel agent, so I can avoid the expensive call charges at the hotel, but I have a question. My laptop's modem can be setup for various countries, apart from the DR. I have found out that the Phone socket is the same as a US socket, but if I set my modem to US settings, do you have any idea if it would work - basically, is the phone network the same as a US phone network?

Anyone got any experience using their laptops in the DR?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If you are talking about a Psion Gold Card modem, it will work here with US settings. My laptop has one installed - it is a PCMIA card modem, and I sometimes forget to switch it back and forth when I travel.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Internet

MGSteve said:
Hi, I'm coming to the DR next week on holiday (for the 6th time :D), this time I'll sadly have to bring along my laptop.

I'm getting a calling card through the travel agent, so I can avoid the expensive call charges at the hotel, but I have a question. My laptop's modem can be setup for various countries, apart from the DR. I have found out that the Phone socket is the same as a US socket, but if I set my modem to US settings, do you have any idea if it would work - basically, is the phone network the same as a US phone network?

Anyone got any experience using their laptops in the DR?

Where in the DR are you going?
If it happens to be in Sosua, we let our friends hook up to our DSL line through a hub, and it involves having an ethernet card and 2 minutes of puting the correct IP addresses, etc into network properties.
Marco.