Former Peace Corps Volunteer Looking to Spend Summer in DR

jhobbsvargas

Apr 23, 2004
Ret. DR Peace Corps Vol. and Wife Looking to Spend Summer in DR volunteering

Hi all. I hope all is well in Quisqueya. Wondering if anyone has any ideas. My wife and I (she is Dominican), want to spend the summer in the DR. Here is the catch... she is finishing her degree in intl. business and I am a graduate student at Brandeis (intl. development). We are leaving for another country in September and are looking to relax, work, have fun, and not spend an arm and a leg working in D.C.

Now since we are both in the states it is a little complicated. I lived in Santiago and Monte Plata for three years and she is vegana. We are not really looking to get paid (it would be nice of course), but rather do not want to pay a ridiculous amount of money for one of these see the world programs after having already traveled so much already. So if anybody knows of any opportunities for two 20 something bilingual students that will work for housing, food, and a couple of pesos please respond. (please only serious responses... if we wanted just anything we would go stay with her folks in La Vega!!!)

p.s. i have traveled, worked, or visited just about every pueblo and know the country pretty well.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Dear former Peacecorps (you don't give your names). Exactly how many 'couple of pesos' are you talking about? I may have a situation for you. I'm retired and live seven linear kilometers from the town of Azua, on the road to Las Lomas. My nearest neighbors are communities created for victims of Huricane George. Their situation I can only describe as indigent. I have set myself up as a folk healer but my ministration encompases more than just attending physical ailments. A few weeks ago I visited accompanied by my twenty year old son Alan the offices of Peace Corp in Santo Domingo, to explore the possibility of volunteers for a program in that area. The people can use any help they can get, however I was thinking more in the line of home production units, anything to augment their meager incomes. The response was to load me with impossible beaurocratic requierement.
Let me tell you, my father was part of the original staff that trained the first batch of Peace Corp Volunteers in the University of Notre Dame, in 1961. Personally, Ive directed programs and used the help of Peace Corp Volunteers. I'm willing to set you up in my rustic but confortable place, room and board, on the road to Las Lomas, and help you with a 'couple of pesos', if you in turn can help me to help these people.

Mirador

jhobbsvargas

Apr 23, 2004
thx for responding...

My name is Jason. That definately sounds very interesting. My email is jhobbs@brandeis.edu. We can talk more there.

P.S.. In an instance like this the money is not really an issue!

Hope to hear from you soon...

Mirador said:
Dear former Peacecorps (you don't give your names). Exactly how many 'couple of pesos' are you talking about? I may have a situation for you. I'm retired and live seven linear kilometers from the town of Azua, on the road to Las Lomas. My nearest neighbors are communities created for victims of Huricane George. Their situation I can only describe as indigent. I have set myself up as a folk healer but my ministration encompases more than just attending physical ailments. A few weeks ago I visited accompanied by my twenty year old son Alan the offices of Peace Corp in Santo Domingo, to explore the possibility of volunteers for a program in that area. The people can use any help they can get, however I was thinking more in the line of home production units, anything to augment their meager incomes. The response was to load me with impossible beaurocratic requierement.
Let me tell you, my father was part of the original staff that trained the first batch of Peace Corp Volunteers in the University of Notre Dame, in 1961. Personally, Ive directed programs and used the help of Peace Corp Volunteers. I'm willing to set you up in my rustic but confortable place, room and board, on the road to Las Lomas, and help you with a 'couple of pesos', if you in turn can help me to help these people.

Mirador

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I would recommend you go to the hotel/pension in the Capital where Peace Corps volunteers stay. Meet them, hang out with them and recruit one or more to change there sites and come work for you. There are many (most), who are put in boring, unsupervised situations situations and they may jump on the chance to really do some work. It will give you a chance to really screen the potential candidates. I changed my site and job and told PC about it afterwards. It was one of the things which kept me from ETing (leaving early). You used to not really have access to money until you were in the country about a year (after filling the paperwork out right after getting to your site). You will need to find money other places and use the PC contact type money as supplemental. Set up an office and whatever other space you feel you may need and get to work.