Merengue trivia question

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Ok i have a short memory for band names,this is also a chance to test your knowledge on forgotten merengue bands... i need help... from which merengue bands are these titles?

Eto' e guineo...1994-95 period?
Se anoto un virao...1994-96 period?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Oche said:
Se anoto un virao...1994-96 period?

My husband thinks this is Ramon Orlando (or his brother?) - the same person who sings "el venao"

The other, we have no idea.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Interesting!

trina said:
My husband thinks this is Ramon Orlando (or his brother?) - the same person who sings "el venao"

The other, we have no idea.
Ramon Orlando has a musician brother?. I know that he has a younger brother named Tommy that used to be a decent professional boxer. Inquiring mind wants to know.
And yes, It's by Ramon Orlando

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Actually, I think my husband is wrong about him having a musician brother, but I'm not going to tell him that, because it always comes back to bite me in the butt. I did a google search, and this is some of the info I came up with:

Ram?n Orlando (born Ram?n Orlando Valoy) was the son of the famed merengue bandleader Cuco Valoy and grew up playing keyboards in his father's bands. His role within that legendary band helped get him jobs with a number of other groups in Santo Domingo, leading to his incredibly prolific recording career (more than 50 albums with various groups, more than a dozen with his own combos). His merengue orchestra, Ramon Orlando y la Orquesta Internac?onal, achieved success that mirrored Orlando's father's and issued a number of albums in the Dominican Republic and throughout the Spanish-speaking world. In early 2000, their greatest hits album was reissued by Platano Records, collecting the songs that had brought them fame and fortune. ~ Stacia Proefrock, All Music Guide

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Okay, okay, okay, I knew I couldn't say anything to my husband, you'll see what I mean about it coming back to bite me in the butt. He knows (1) baseball, and (2) music, like no other. Oche, if you follow your link that you posted above, you'll see "El virao" was actually sung by Christopher Valoy. SO read my post above, how Ramon Orlando Valoy was the son of Cuco Valoy...does this mean that a "Christopher Valoy" could be the brother of Ramon Orlando? I think so. Angel's so smart. :cool: In the version of "El Venao" on the CD on this site, Ramon Orlando and Christopher Valoy sing this song together, which I would've never known that, either...I love that song.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Google's the best...

One more thing I just found, this time under the name of Christopher Valoy...

El hombre que hizo famoso el tema del venao. Christopher Valoy compositor y hermano de Ram?n Orlando e hijo de Cuco Valoy decidi? hacer un nombre por si mismo como l?der de su nueva agrupaci?n.

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
My pleasure...I like to learn.

There is a Dominican named Ravel that sang a song called "El Guineo"...check it out, I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
You've done it again Trina. I think he is a boricua merengue singer, that explains the video scenes of the title "El guineo" in the beaches of Puerto Rico, i remember seeing it 8-9 years ago. No wonder, it didn't sound like local merengue and it is very fast and has kind of silly lyrics also. Thanks again. My search is over.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
FWIW, here's a bit of a biography

RAVEL naci? en Sabana Grande de Boya, Rep?blica Dominicana y a muy temprana edad emigr? a la ciudad de Nueva York. Durante sus a?os de escuela se hizo muy popular y era buscado para celebrar todo tipo de actividades. Decidi? tomar clases de canto, arte y actuaci?n siendo motivado fuertemente por todos sus profesores. A los catorce a?os de edad particip? en el Festival de la voz de Nueva York, quedando entre los finalistas, lo que facilit? a que formara parte de la orquesta Los Reyes Del Caribe con la cual grab? por primera vez.
Teniendo muchas inquietudes decide formar su propia agrupaci?n, Los Bravos, logrando un ?xito rotundo en Estados Unidos y el Caribe con el tema LA MAZORCA. Sus primeros tres trabajos musicales se titularon: RAVEL, AMOR DE VERDAD y el tercero CON SENTIMIENTO, todos ellos con J & N Records.

RAVEL decidi? fundar el sello discogr?fico Camino Records. Su primera producci?n con este sello se destacaron los temas EL MUERTO, EL GUINEO y OJOS QUE NO VEN CORAZON QUE NO SIENTE, entre otros. RAVEL fue elogiado como La voz m?s tierna del merengue al momento de presentarse su cuarta producci?n COMO TU LO QUERIAS, logrando gran aceptaci?n con los temas MUJER DIVINA, ESE CAMINA?O y CUANDO VUELVAS.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Well whaddayaknow, he's dominican...you really digged this info up nice...I'm impressed.