family in the DR.

stephanita

Apr 24, 2004
Hi all. I am new to this board. My mother was Dominican, she was from Nagua, and has family in Santo Domingo. I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about Nagua? I had hoped to eventually visit the family that I have remaining there next summer, but I do now know spanish (adopted into an American family, but have ties to bio family) I only assume you need to know spanish to be the the DR, am I correct? Thanks for you help.

stephanita.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You don't need to know Spanish to visit the DR, but it is probable that you won't be able to converse directly with at least some of your relatives if you speak only English. Take a course in Spanish; you don't have to be fluent and your family will appreciate your ability to at least talk a bit of Spanish with them.

Nagua is on the north cost between Sosua and Samana. It is a large town and the capital of its province, though not one of the largest cities. There is a little resort activity, but mostly it is a Dominican town. A very busy place. For a few statistics, see http://reference.allrefer.com/gazetteer/N/N00234-nagua.html

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
SPansih not needed as much as you think

If you are with people that want to understand you then by taking your time and using a dictionary you will be able to comunicate in a few days. I have been to Nagua and it is a pretty place. I was only there on a day trip so I can not really tell you much about it. I have only spent a total or 40 days in the DR on all my trips down so I am far from an expert. But I know that all the Spanish I have picked up has almost all been by using a dictionary and talkign to non English speakers.
John

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
a little info on Nagua

My wife is from Nagua and when we visit her mother I always stay at the hotel located in the center of town, across from the Caribe Tours Bus terminal. The room goes for around $35 a nite. It's decent for the money, but it's not a Holiday Inn. The reason I do this is because my mother-in-law doesn't have a power generator or air conditioning. Being that Nagua is located on the coast at sea level, and lower in some parts, there is an extradinary amount of mosquitoes because of the humidity. Being that I am light skinned, the mosquitoes don't have a hard time finding me in the dark.
The town for the most part is like any other DR town. Banks, supermarkets bars, clothing shops and the all important ice cream parlor. The beach is not too bad either. But the light tends to go with more frequency there than other parts of the Island, so my wife tells me.
So take some advise, book a room as soon as you get there and then visit your family. Tell them you didn't want to inconvience anyone by staying in there home. This way you can go out at nite and party and not have to worry about waking someone up in the middle of the night.

And bring plenty of insect repelent, your gonna need it. :classic: