Info, please, for bringing in possessions

A

Abi

I need specific procedures for how a new resident brings in his belongings from the US without having to pay customs. Please, I need to know what documents to get before we go to the US to retrieve our possessions.
If you happen to know of a good shipper from (in order of preference): Portland Oregon, Seattle Wash., or L.A. to Sto. Domingo, please let me know.
(Will post this in General Stuff also.)
Aloha!

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
are you dominican?

Abi said:
I need specific procedures for how a new resident brings in his belongings from the US without having to pay customs. Please, I need to know what documents to get before we go to the US to retrieve our possessions.
If you happen to know of a good shipper from (in order of preference): Portland Oregon, Seattle Wash., or L.A. to Sto. Domingo, please let me know.
(Will post this in General Stuff also.)
Aloha!

if you are a dominican citizen, after living abroad for a period of time (may be 3 years) you are entitled to bring in all your household goods free of any duties, including a vehicle....otherwise, you may have to pay some duties and I hope someone else can help.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You need to think long and hard before you ship anything!

The Dominican law may say that you can bring in your personal belongings,and your car,but at the moment of truth,at the port's customs offic,you will/may be told something VERY different!!!!!!!!"Nothing Is For Nothing" in the DR!
Here is an example.About 12 years ago,the City Of Miami,donated a used fire engine to Puerto Plata,which had no "real" fire engine.It arrived at the dock in Puerto Plata,duty free,and was promptly impounded by the Customs director,"Who is going to pay the Customs duty??? (and the "Mordita", bribe,to the Director?)This was a political football for months!
There was a fire at the electric generaing plant in Puerto Plata.Three men were killed due in part to the lack of a fire engine.
Balaguer had the Miami Fire engine released by "Presidential Decree"!
Now "Balaguer" is dead,who will help you????????
Sell everything,and buy what you need here! Furniture made of "Caoba" is better that North Carolina Pine anyway!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Bring your stuff!

We cleared our stuff a few weeks ago -

It's all been said before I'm sure - I asked roughly the same question a while back. You get loads of answers (mostly guesses) from people who really don't know.

1) Apparently (again check postings on this site) You can fast track residency in a few days for $2500 US. If you are a resident you don't have to pay.

2) Assuming you think you can get away for less just "front it out" as we say in the UK, at the port. Here's what happened to us just a few weeks ago:

The agent told my wife and I that everything would be taken care of for us. All we needed to do was turn up to witness the seals being broken. His English speaking secretary said she would be on-hand to translate. RUBBISH!

It's a dockside. Don't forget this - it's a place where if it's stationary and vertical someone will Pi** up against it. This is a Man's world. Expect no creature comforts. I worked on the Millwall docks in London and begged Nicky not to go. Docks are Docks are Docks... But (bless her) She was determined and to be honest I couldn't have handled it without her.

Here's what happens: Stand around in the blistering heat for an hour or so trying to work out what's going on. Identify your container. Find the guy with the right hat on who will break the seal in front of you. Now stand back and witness a free-for-all! Guy's who'd been standing around doing nothing for hours suddenly lept into life. Boxes were being hauled away faster than we could keep track of them and I literally called the party to order by wielding a hammer in the air and screaming at everyone to stop.

Next, all the packaging containing your belongings - without exception are dragged out of the container and left to bake in the sun along with yourself for around two hours while would-be thieves hang around like vultures waiting for you to turn your back for one second. We both stayed routed to our designated watch areas and waited - there is no shade so take a brolly.

Finally, I cracked! "Put it all back NOW" I screamed in my best Spanish while Nicky called the agent who had done nothing (including arranging for the promised mystery translator who never turned up), and as if by magic the customs men arrived.

Now, here's the point - bear this in mind and pay very little! They only really want to see electrical items or new items. If it's new take it out of the box and get it wrapped up again by the packers. It's bloody hot and they feel it too so get all your items professionally packed in literally tons of paper. We had individual cutlery packed in paper and it drove them mad! They couldn't possibly have checked it all. Mark the outside of the boxes in some sort of code. These Guys know what "Computer" and "Hi-Fi" mean! They aren't fools they're just guy's doing their job. Put things in draws and cupboards. Nothing was emptied out at all. They would cut the wrapping on a bedside cabinet, see what it was and move on. Stand by with packing tape. As soon as the box has been opened and inspected close the thing up again before more little hands pop into it and dig around. - Again watch out for the vultures - they all start hovering.

Ten minutes later and it's all over - we handed out half a dozen bottles of Scotch. I wouldn't even suggest it was a bribe, it was hot, they were hot and once they started work they worked hard and fast enough to deserve it.

Now all that was left to do was put it all back again! I watched in bewilderment as two guys slung the boxes back into the container in such a crap manner that they would never even fit let alone be transported 100 miles safely. Again I got my trusty hammer out and got them to pack it properly. A few more dollars were then handed around as the man who puts the seals back on was found, the seal was put in place and we left.

It takes a day, It's mad, it cost us $1400 dollars, but they never found the computer, or the HiFi!

We've got all our things now - Nicky moans that she should have brought more! Very good luck to you -

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Bring your stuff!

We cleared our stuff a few weeks ago -

It's all been said before I'm sure - I asked roughly the same question a while back. You get loads of answers (mostly guesses) from people who really don't know.

1) Apparently (again check postings on this site) You can fast track residency in a few days for $2500 US. If you are a resident you don't have to pay.

2) Assuming you think you can get away for less just "front it out" as we say in the UK, at the port. Here's what happened to us just a few weeks ago:

The agent told my wife and I that everything would be taken care of for us. All we needed to do was turn up to witness the seals being broken. His English speaking secretary said she would be on-hand to translate. RUBBISH!

It's a dockside. Don't forget this - it's a place where if it's stationary and vertical someone will Pi** up against it. This is a Man's world. Expect no creature comforts. I worked on the Millwall docks in London and begged Nicky not to go. Docks are Docks are Docks... But (bless her) She was determined and to be honest I couldn't have handled it without her.

Here's what happens: Stand around in the blistering heat for an hour or so trying to work out what's going on. Identify your container. Find the guy with the right hat on who will break the seal in front of you. Now stand back and witness a free-for-all! Guy's who'd been standing around doing nothing for hours suddenly lept into life. Boxes were being hauled away faster than we could keep track of them and I literally called the party to order by wielding a hammer in the air and screaming at everyone to stop.

Next, all your belongings - without exception are dragged out of the container and left to bake in the sun along with yourself for around two hours while would-be thieves hang around like vultures waiting for you to turn your back for one second. We both stayed routed to our designated watch areas and waited - there is no shade so take a brolly.

Finally, I cracked! "Put it all back NOW" I screamed in my best Spanish while Nicky called the agent who had done nothing (including arranging for the promised mystery translator who never turned up), and as if by magic the customs men arrived.

Now, here's the point - bear this in mind and pay very little! They only really want to see electrical items or new items. If it's new take it out of the box and get it wrapped up again by the packers. It's bloody hot and they feel it too so get all your items professionally packed in literally tons of paper. We had individual cutlery packed in paper and it drove them mad! They couldn't possibly have checked it all. Mark the outside of the boxes in some sort of code. These Guys know what "Computer" and "Hi-Fi" mean! They aren't fools they're just guy's doing their job. Put things in draws and cupboards. Nothing was emptied out at all. They would cut the wrapping on a bedside cabinet, see what it was and move on. Stand by with packing tape. As soon as the box has been opened and inspected close the thing up again before more little hands pop into it and dig around. - Again watch out for the vultures - they all start hovering.

Ten minutes later and it's all over - we handed out half a dozen bottles of Scotch. I wouldn't even suggest it was a bribe, it was hot, they were hot and once they started work they worked hard and fast enough to deserve it.

Now all that was left to do was put it all back again! I watched in bewilderment as two guys slung the boxes back into the container in such a crap manner that they would never even fit let alone be transported 100 miles safely. Again I got my trusty hammer out and got them to pack it properly. A few more dollars were then handed around as the man who puts the seals back on was found, the seal was put in place and we left.

It takes a day, It's mad, it cost us $1400 dollars, but they never found the computer, or the HiFi!

We've got all our things now - Nicky moans that she should have brought more! Very good luck to you -