DR ATM banking fee question

CorletoLovesDR

Jul 8, 2002
Hello!

I visited the DR for spring break. I used my debit card twice to make cash withdrawals. The first time I withdrew cash from my checking account and I got charged a US$6.00 fee. The second time, I withdrew from my savings account (which is linked to my checking) and I notice that I didn't get charged the $6.00 fee.

My question is, do ATM cash withdrawals from savings account not normally get charged for the ATM fee? Or is that maybe applicable to some savings accounts? Has anyone had a similar experience to mine?

If savings accounts in general don't get that fee applied, then in the future I will always withdraw from savings, and not from checking to avoid the fee!

Please send me your comments. I appreciate it.

Thank you!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Has all to do with your bank and nothing to do with the DR

Ask your bank, all differ in terms of Plus/Cirrus access. It sounds unusual that a particular type of account has no fee vs. one than does since the interest paid on savings nowadays is essentially zero so they aren't making it up that way. In your case at least you know that the savings account is a preferable source of the cash.

If the machine IN the DR charges a fee at the time it will be on the receipt or advised in advance, e.g. in the US and Canada the ATM often says it will add $1.50 for itself if it is not your own bank. But your bank's fee it charges you is not DR related.