Transit Visa

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Does anyone know if a Dominican citizen needs a transit visa for Venezuela if the citizen is changing planes and having a 2 hour layover in Venezuela?

I asked the Venezuelan consulate in NY and they said a transit visa would be necessary. My girlfriend called the Venezuelan embassy in Santo Domingo and they said the transit visa would not be necessary if she is there for less than 8 hours.

Does anyone have 1st hand experience or know the answer to this?

Thanks.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
No luck it seems..........

Chris_NJ said:
Does anyone know if a Dominican citizen needs a transit visa for Venezuela if the citizen is changing planes and having a 2 hour layover in Venezuela?

I asked the Venezuelan consulate in NY and they said a transit visa would be necessary. My girlfriend called the Venezuelan embassy in Santo Domingo and they said the transit visa would not be necessary if she is there for less than 8 hours.

Does anyone have 1st hand experience or know the answer to this?

Thanks.

They need a transit visa good for 72 hours, twice if they have to connect in Venezuela on the return trip, which seems to be the case, and it is US$30.

Look here: (Fees) http://www.misionvenezuela.org/pdf/req2apply4visas.pdf
And here: (People not needing a visa) http://www.misionvenezuela.org/pdf/countries-novisareq.pdf
And here(what the transit visa allows):http://www.misionvenezuela.org/pdf/transitvisa.pdf

The process: For transit visa

* A ticket confirming that you will be continuing to a third country. You must also supply the following information and requirements:
* Application form filled out in print letters.
Please do not use P.O. Box as
address or application will not be processed
* Name of airline carrier
* Flight number
* Date that you will be entering to and departing from Venezuela
* Name of entry and departing Venezuelan port or airport
* Two (02) photographs (2''x2'')
* A money order or company check for $30.00 in the name of Consulate of Venezuela (Consular fee)

Note: Your passport must have at least 6 months of validity left at the time of your request for all visas.
IT TAKES FIVE (05) WORKING DAYS TO PROCESS A VISA. NO EXCEPTIONS.

It is evident they require a visa if they are not eligible to enter without one . Hopefully there is a consulate in SD.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Confusion...

Thanks for your response, Rick.

I first read that also that one would need a transit visa for up to 72 hours. The consulate in NY also said the visa would be necessary. My girlfriend called the consulate in SD and they said no visa would be needed if less than 8 hours between flights. I called a Venezuelan embassy in San Fran and they said no visa is needed as the passenger would remain in a transit area of the airport.

Why can't these Venezuelans get their stories straight?

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
I dont think so

Hello,
My friend transited trough Caracas last week and was there for 4 hours with no transit visa on her way to Ecuador.
I know what you mean about them not getting their stories straight..I would call the airlines and ask..since often they wont let you board the plane.My friend flew Aeropostal and she had no problems as long as she didnt leave the airport and didnt transit for more then 8 hours
Good luck

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
JC171 said:
Hello,
My friend transited trough Caracas last week and was there for 4 hours with no transit visa on her way to Ecuador.
I know what you mean about them not getting their stories straight..I would call the airlines and ask..since often they wont let you board the plane.My friend flew Aeropostal and she had no problems as long as she didnt leave the airport and didnt transit for more then 8 hours
Good luck

Thanks for the response. I will have my girlfriend call Aerpostal (which she is flying with) to be sure. Your friend is a Dominican citizen, right? The Venezuelan embassies in San Fran, Boston, Santo Domingo, and Miami also said if you are there for less than 8 hours and staying in the airport that no visa is needed. It was just someone from the NY embassy and the websites which are not clear.

Just out of curiousity, is there any sizeable Dominican population in Ecuador? (I have seen some Ecuadoreans in DR). I don't think it is economically in better shape than DR so it would be interesting to see how much of a Dominican presence there will be.